Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The LCD Buyers Guide

Xtreme Addict

HP f2105 21" LCD

Anyone have this lcd or know anything about it? I'm thinking about getting one if I can get alittle more info on it.
    Any input would be a great help.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    Yeah, I forgot about price comparison, but I'll put the best LCDs are more expensive since a slower pannels can cost about the same as a CRT at the same resolution and still get better image quality than the best CRT
    http://store.tkopartsandpcs.com/de21p1mod06.html
    Show me where I can get a 21" LCD that can do 2048x1536 for $99 and I will admit that LCD's are superior and switch to them immediately.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Cruncher
    the panel can cost 100$ so imagine how much cost the overall lcd
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Recruit
    I bought the Viewsonic VP2000s/VP201s/VP201b and love it even though I payed 800 Canadian for it.

Xtreme Member
    Good guide..

Now I have a hitachi 17" 16ms lcd and looking to upgrade it.. Would a 19 be better or stick with another 17"??

Anyone use a 17 and went to a 19 and liked it or reget it??

As I use it mostly for webbrowsing and games like css, bf2, and hopefully dods..
    System specs

i7-930 H50 Msi x58pro 6 gigs of Crucial 40gig SSD 500gig Drive Evga GTX480 Cooled DD block Exos water

Kids comp.
    X2 e8500 Giga p35 Ds3l 40gig SSD Hanns-g 22" lcd 4gigs of Crucial Ati 4870 Ocz powerstream 520

Kids comp.
    x2 4400 2 gig of patriot 8800 gts

Xtreme Lusitanian
    I was searching for LCD panels price and specs, and your gude just come in handy, congrats for this really good and pratical guide

Quote Originally Posted by airwolves
    Good guide..

Now I have a hitachi 17" 16ms lcd and looking to upgrade it.. Would a 19 be better or stick with another 17"??

Anyone use a 17 and went to a 19 and liked it or reget it??

As I use it mostly for webbrowsing and games like css, bf2, and hopefully dods..
    Dont know about LCD's but changing from a 17" to a 19" CRT I was really happy, I think is all a question about resolution viewing a 1280*1024 res on a 17" is not the same thing as viewing on a 19", fonts are better to read, on my office I got a 21" and I can read very well fonts at 1600x1200, I hope it helped.
    Mother Tongue speaks to me in the strangest way I ever seen, I know she sees in me the proudest child ... virando costas ao mundo orgulhosamente sos, gloria antiga volta a nos" - MOONSPELL
    Who are you to criticize, to judge and burn the tribes, the world will be extinct and your flesh will rot with mine - SEPULTURA

XS WCG

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89
    http://store.tkopartsandpcs.com/de21p1mod06.html
    Show me where I can get a 21" LCD that can do 2048x1536 for $99 and I will admit that LCD's are superior and switch to them immediately.
    ok you win
    I guess its your 2 cents if you eather want a blurry electron beam or a sharp, but slower flat display

I just mentioned "price" aspart of the CRT advantages,so I didnt have to change much

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just switched for the first time from crt and hafta say i wont be buying a crt again. I still use my crt though mainly for the color reproduction when using ps, even though my viewsonic 191b has great color.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
    - Albert Einstein

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice work!

One question... What do you, Turok, think: "Poor dark levels" really mean to the viewer?

You shall never sway me from my beautiful 23" Cinema HD!

Yan
    i7
    Dell 30" 2560x1600

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Nice work Turok.

The only thing I suggest doing is adding connections types for the display (very important), and explain what HDCP is how it will affect DRM. For example, most current displays might not be able to play future DVD formats such as BluRay, or even Windows Vista without HDCP compliance.

BTW, if you want to add a little section about HDTV, I'd be happy to contribute in any way possible
    Last edited by drcrawn; 08-29-2005 at 02:23 PM.
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Cruncher
    we can add that for the guide with no problems care to elaborate more in what do you want :P so i can find all the existing info and send it to turok

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    the connections for each display, e.g. dvi/d-sub/component/hdmi, etc.

hdcp compliance? (most will not be, but this is something to consider)
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by YanBooth
    Nice work!

One question... What do you, Turok, think: "Poor dark levels" really mean to the viewer?

You shall never sway me from my beautiful 23" Cinema HD!

Yan
    Heh, thats Salahuddin's writing
    Salahuddin kind of exagerates things about LCDs, like saying that a 16ms is horrible for gaming when you hardly notice any blur.

For the viewer, a poor dark level would be to put a black picture on the screen and that it looks more grayish than pure black because of the backlighting

Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ead.php?t=72802
    Thats a really nice deal.
    Its about as cheap as a Dell 2405fpw can get with coupon discounts and stuff.
    This HP panel uses the same LG.Phillips panel used on the Apple 23" Cinema HD, so its about the same thing in performance. The LCD also has some connectors simmilar to that on the Dell 2405fpw

*If you are looking for a 23"/24" LCD with the best picture possible and that's decent enough to play games, then the Dell 2405fpw is for you

*If you are looking for a 23"/24" LCD with the best performance mostly for gaming, then the 23" HP or Apple Cinema is for you

I would get the 2405fpw because the Image quality is amazing and its has a 24" vieable area, wile the others are 23". Even tho the 2405fpw is a bit slower in gaming than the Apple Cinema and HP, I think the difference in performance is really minor and you wont notice too much motion blur.

Would be nice if a 2405fpw user could coments about the screen in gaming.
    Last edited by Turok; 08-29-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I have problems finding good brands in my country so I would like someone to make me like an top 5 for 17" and 19" LCD. I know that Viewsonic is nr 1 but I can't find it .
    I can find Hyundai L90D+ but has an extreme price : 600$ with VAT, and Samsung 930BF with 500$ with VAT.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the Dell 24" got good reviews in PC Shopper, but its video playback/gaming performance got some bad stuff said about it...

Yan
    i7
    Dell 30" 2560x1600

Allmosut all monitors have a con "motion bluring and ghosting noticable."

Are there realy no good LCD's at all currently in production? Some 16:9 would be great, but allmoust all those have the ghosting and blurring noticable too.

Could anyone suggest a panel with native resolution of 1920x1080?

The requirements would be: good for gaming, good for work with graphics applications, good for movie watching and native resolution of 1920x1080(what is that, 21", 23"?).

CRT advantage
    The only advantage with CRTs is response time, darkness levels, and price.
    Right now, an average CRT can have a response time below 2ms and can have contrast ratios above 1000:1 and LCDs could cost more than two times a CRT at the same recommended resolution.
    I still would like CRT monitor more than LCD. You forgot about one of the most important thing here. CRT has bunch of resolutions. On good monitors geometry and purity of screen is comparable to LCD's. But CRT has better time response and better colors than LCD in same time.
    For gamers LCD are sometimes unaccteptable. Because when you have native resolution on your LCD 1280x1024 you had to have a graphics card that can play all games on that res. It's a problem, because it can be expensive. I got GF6600 and I can't play for example hl2 in high resolution that I want.
    Last edited by Thinker; 08-30-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    if you have a low end video card it doesnt matter if you have a super nice crt or lcd cuz you wont be playing @ high res.....

as i said before no lcd bashing here this A GUIDE for the ppl that wants to buy lcd and ask questions about LCD and learn about the lcd tech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker
    I still would like CRT monitor more than LCD. You forgot about one of the most important thing here. CRT has bunch of resolutions. On good monitors geometry and purity of screen is comparable to LCD's. But CRT has better time response and better colors than LCD in same time.
    For gamers LCD are sometimes unaccteptable. Because when you have native resolution on your LCD 1280x1024 you had to have a graphics card that can play all games on that res. It's a problem, because it can be expensive. I got GF6600 and I can't play for example hl2 in high resolution that I want.
    False. Colors on a LCD are a lot better than CRTs.
    Even tho CRTs are capable of doing high resolutions with smaller viewable area, the screen blurs.
    Im usually running my 19" NEC FE991sb (19" CRT) at 1280x1024 when Im not playing games because text blurs a lot and its really small to read from a safe distance, wile LCDs use native resolutions.

Ive been a CRT user all my life and Ive never had a LCD before.
    I dont even have one now (August 30, 2005), but I want to get a LCD because my eyes get tired afther half a day of intense use and its impresive how much sharper a LCD is compared to a CRT at the same resolution.

And Leviathan18 is right. Dont flame in here, this is a LCD guide.
    You could just make a new post or visit all those other posts about LCDs and post your comments about CRTs
    Last edited by Turok; 08-30-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Is that SED thing true? It sounds too good to be so...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by muaddib
    Is that SED thing true? It sounds too good to be so...
    I just updated the SED section for more info about it.
    Everything seems to be true and they have showed these displays in tech shows in Japan.

The life span and retail price is still unknown.
    I hope they can shrink the lenses enough to make PC monitors. If its true that its going to be cheaper than LCDs, then these monitors will be a hit in the PC market.
    They offer the quality of a plasma, the lightness of a LCD, and the speeds of a CRT.

XS News
    Ive been a CRT user all my life and Ive never had a LCD before.
    I dont even have one now (August 30, 2005), but I want to get a LCD because my eyes get tired afther half a day of intense use and its impresive how much sharper a LCD is compared to a CRT at the same resolution.

And Leviathan18 is right. Dont flame in here, this is a LCD guide.
    You could just make a new post or visit all those other posts about LCDs and post your comments about CRTs
    If the resolution used is native, yes I think an LCD looks better, but i think you're wrong about CRT's getting blurry I had an Apple 17" monitor, and yeah high resolution gets a tad bit less, and at extremely high res, I think they do, but for the average user, 1280x1024 and below, I think CRT's still offer the best performance and image quality. Anything below 1280x1024 and LCD's just look like crap

If your eyes are tired, get a CRT with higher refresh rate.. 1600x1200 @ 160hz doesn't hurt my eyes, even after a 12hr gaming spree
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 300x10________15" Macbook Pro
    2x 512mb Mushkin DDR _______________2x 1Gb DDR2
    Sapphire X850XT____________________X1600M
    DFI Ultra-D_________________________2.16Ghz Merom C2D
    Lian-Li PC7A________________________OS X/XP
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dippyskoodlez
    If the resolution used is native, yes I think an LCD looks better, but i think you're wrong about CRT's getting blurry I had an Apple 17" monitor, and yeah high resolution gets a tad bit less, and at extremely high res, I think they do, but for the average user, 1280x1024 and below, I think CRT's still offer the best performance and image quality. Anything below 1280x1024 and LCD's just look like crap

If your eyes are tired, get a CRT with higher refresh rate.. 1600x1200 @ 160hz doesn't hurt my eyes, even after a 12hr gaming spree
    Im guessing you got this LCD:
    Apple M7649ZMB (17")
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...earch=M7649ZMB

Contrast ratios and brightness levels are really low on that display, and it has 8-bit color.
    Im guessing it's an old IPS pannel, so dont expect quality from that LCD.

As I mentioned on the guide, higher contrast ratios will give you a sharper image.
    The LCDs I mention in the guide are one of the best of its class, and should look better than a CRT.
    That's what a VP191b, Dell 2005fpw, and Dell 2405fpw user would say.
    Last edited by Turok; 08-31-2005 at 05:11 PM.

XS News
    Im guessing you got this LCD:
    Apple M7649ZMB (17")
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...earch=M7649ZMB

Contrast ratios and brightness levels are really low on that display, and it has 8-bit color.
    Im guessing it's an old IPS pannel, so dont expect quality from that LCD.

As I mentioned on the guide, higher contrast ratios will give you a sharper image.
    The LCDs I mention in the guide are one of the best of its class, and should look better than a CRT.
    That's what a VP191b, Dell 2005fpw, and Dell 2405fpw user would say.

CRT The CRT I had is well out of most 17" monitors class... 1600x1200 @ 160hz.

FLAT too, with 16" viewable reg VGA cable.

I was using a viewsonic 17" at school, not the greatest, but still not too bad, and that apple was simply no contest when it comes to color quality... using a 17" packard hell now, and the color was definatly noticable.

imo an LCD is nice, but still too expensive for a mainstream cheap N go monitor. High end, I'm sure they have the market easily captured, because tahts their target.
    Last edited by dippyskoodlez; 08-31-2005 at 06:39 PM.
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 300x10________15" Macbook Pro
    2x 512mb Mushkin DDR _______________2x 1Gb DDR2
    Sapphire X850XT____________________X1600M
    DFI Ultra-D_________________________2.16Ghz Merom C2D
    Lian-Li PC7A________________________OS X/XP
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast