Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The LCD Buyers Guide

Xtreme Addict
    ok guys, there are still some things I would like to know to make this LCD Guide even better

Right now Im trying to decide between the Dell 2005fpw and the Dell 2405fpw
    Ive never bought a LCD, so this would be my first time.

Would be of great help if someone who has both the 2005fpw and 2405fpw could compare the following: (and being 100% honest about it)

2005fpw vs 2405fpw
    * Check for uneven backlighting, but this shouldnt be visible at all on a 2405fpw
    * Compare motion blur and ghosting between both monitors using this link: *Click Here*
    * Test fast paced FPS games like UT2k4, and compare motion blur and ghosting between both monitors
    * Compare color quality, bright, and dark levels
    * If you have a SLi solution, try running it and describe what happens

Note:
    -Ghosting is when a image is duplicated with a ghost like trail
    -Motion blur is when you see a blurry image in fast motion, but no trails are left behind

Please be acurate with your point of view. There is a lot of "biasing" about these monitors, since most of the users Ive seen with both are not compleately honest or dont define in great detail how it peforms in fast motion pictures.

If you have another monitor thats mentioned on the list, and would like to help in benching it, THG has a guide to help you benchmark your monitor:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...923/index.html

Depending on your acuracy, we could edit the summaries on each LCD with the less "bias" possible

Thanks for your time

Turok

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow we got sticky nice work guys :P:
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

INTEL inside
    any info on the Samsung 913T ? I'm about to buy 2 of those
    retired computer enthusiast

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertim0r
    any info on the Samsung 913T ? I'm about to buy 2 of those
    The specs look verry simmilar to the Hyundai L90D+
    Im guessing its the same LCD but the Samsung version, since its a Samsung TN pannel rated at 8ms, and contrast ratios and brigtness levels are the same.

If you can get it cheaper than a Hyundai L90D+, then get it, but I would go with the L90D+ because its been reviewed and tested by several users. I cant find too much info on the Samsung 913T.
    If its exactly the same LCD as the L90D+, then I might have to add it to the list as a alternate option.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

About my previous post: Can anyone review the 2005fpw and 2405fpw?
    If not, could someone at least review a LCD from the list if they have it?
    It would help prove any doubts on a LCD
    Last edited by Turok; 08-12-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    CRT advantage

The only advantage with CRTs is response time, and darkness levels.
    Right now, an average CRT can have a response time below 2ms and can have contrast ratios above 1000:1, but that will soon change as LCDs become faster without sacrificing too much image quality.
    You're forgetting another important CRT advantage: Price

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Banned
    You say that the common ratios are 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9. You are forgetting that most 17" and 19" LCDs run 1280*1024, which is 5:4 (although it could be that they don't have square pixels, I don't know).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89
    You're forgetting another important CRT advantage: Price
    Yeah, I forgot about price comparison, but I'll put the best LCDs are more expensive since a slower pannels can cost about the same as a CRT at the same resolution and still get better image quality than the best CRT

Quote Originally Posted by totensiebush
    You say that the common ratios are 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9. You are forgetting that most 17" and 19" LCDs run 1280*1024, which is 5:4 (although it could be that they don't have square pixels, I don't know).
    Never heared about 5:4 aspect ratio monitors.
    I googled about it and you are right that 1280x1024 is a 5:4 native resolution.
    No wonder my CRT looks different in proportions when switching from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200
    Last edited by Turok; 08-23-2005 at 05:46 PM.

It really boggles the mind why they went with 5:4 over 4:3 when creating LCD's. it really makes NO sense what so ever. All standard TV's and CRT's are 4:3.. why change something that is such a standard.. ohwell

btw.. amazing guide. absolutely amazing. really helped me out.

Xtreme Member
    Good guide.

PS: Hyundai L90D+ LCD Review links don't work.

Some Sony monitor reviews would be welcome.

Xtreme Member
    Viewsonic VP171S is the same with VP191B except the color and size(silver vs black and 17'' vs 19'') ? Is s only 8ms or I have to watch out not to be an 25ms, like the red warning from the up ?

Edit:

They said to me it's an 16ms and 260cd/m2, hmmm.
    Last edited by marius7; 08-22-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marius7
    Viewsonic VP171S is the same with VP191B except the color and size(silver vs black and 17'' vs 19'') ? Is s only 8ms or I have to watch out not to be an 25ms, like the red warning from the up ?

Edit:

They said to me it's an 16ms and 260cd/m2, hmmm.
    Yes, the 17" and 19"(vp171 and vp191) use diff pannel/diff specs, etc.. huge diff. if you ask me.

The S = Silver, whereas B = Black.

Xtreme Cruncher
    with 2005fpw from dell you can hook a dvd or satelite thing??? it has compsite video and s video so it should be possible right?

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousformula
    Yes, the 17" and 19"(vp171 and vp191) use diff pannel/diff specs, etc.. huge diff. if you ask me.

The S = Silver, whereas B = Black.
    So only the specifications tells u the truth, nothing to do only with the model name.

Xtreme Cruncher
    TUROK

you have to add to the 2005fpw that it has composite and S-video IN and 4 usb 2.0

and the 2405fpw is 24.1 inches no 23.1 and it has 2 usb 2.0 and 9 in 1 card reader and S-video in and composite video in
    http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/643/643265p4.html
    Last edited by [XC] leviathan18; 08-23-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i'm thinking of getting a monitor soon...i haven't really got enough to afford a decent 19 inch monitor...so i'm thinking of getting the 17 inch viewsonic vp171 ...any comments? whats my best choice?

Xtreme Member
    Where can I buy VP171S or VP171B with 8ms from Cyprus ? Any online store u know ?

Xtreme Addict
    Where can I buy VP171S or VP171B with 8ms from Cyprus ? Any online store u know ?
    Go to www.PriceGrabber.com

I found that NewEgg and ZipZoomZly sell it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...C-pr1c3grabb3r
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...e=pricegrabber

Its almost as expensive as a Hyundai L90D+ (19" LCD)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can you post pics of comparing the difference between a 4:3 aspect ratio moniter such as a Dell 2001FPW vs. a widescreen moniter like the Dell 2405FPW. Some pics like how much more viewing area you will have with a widescreen moniter in a widescreen compatible game would be welcome. And another thing would about how much a non-widescreen compatible game will stretch (preferrably UT2004 because that is the game that I will be playing most and it is the one game that is preventhing me from choosing a widescreen moniter, I'm afraid that it might be too distorted) when used on a widescreen. Awesome guide, btw.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

Xtreme Member
    So only the specifications tells u the truth, nothing to do only with the model name.
    All i know is that Viewsonic uses diff pannel for 17" and 19" model.. the 19" uses a better/faster panel.. check out the Viewsonic site for spec PDF on both monitor, Also google for VP171 and VP191 reviews.

XS News
    Turok: I have the 2405FPW. If you wish, I can probably review it for normal use.. but not like intense gaming and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    It really boggles the mind why they went with 5:4 over 4:3 when creating LCD's. it really makes NO sense what so ever. All standard TV's and CRT's are 4:3.. why change something that is such a standard.. ohwell

btw.. amazing guide. absolutely amazing. really helped me out.
    Talking about AR's, one thing that I don't get is.. why are all the monitors 16:10 and not 16:9
    and I also have to agree that i also find it retarded that LCD's are built with a 4:3 ratio but their native resolution is 5:4

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_freak
    Can you post pics of comparing the difference between a 4:3 aspect ratio moniter such as a Dell 2001FPW vs. a widescreen moniter like the Dell 2405FPW. Some pics like how much more viewing area you will have with a widescreen moniter in a widescreen compatible game would be welcome. And another thing would about how much a non-widescreen compatible game will stretch (preferrably UT2004 because that is the game that I will be playing most and it is the one game that is preventhing me from choosing a widescreen moniter, I'm afraid that it might be too distorted) when used on a widescreen. Awesome guide, btw.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak
    I already posted a picture compareing the viewabl area between 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9 aspect ratios in the "Common Aspect Ratios" section.
    I also added a link below with the difference between 4:3 and 5:4 viewable area in CSS

Quote Originally Posted by shadowing
    Turok: I have the 2405FPW. If you wish, I can probably review it for normal use.. but not like intense gaming and stuff.
    Something is better than nothing
    Please PM me some comments on your LCD and use this site to test for ghosting:
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/ghosting_test.html

If you dont mind, could you download a FPS demo like Halo, Doom3, F.E.A.R., etc.
    If you dont have the video card to run it, try an old game demo like Doom, and Duke Nukem 3D

XS News
    Sharpness:
    LCD run at a native resolution, wile CRT compresses the image as you raise the resolution, making it less sharp and more blurry in higher resolutions.
    Don't the LCD's compress the image when your running a lower resolution and make it look like crap? I know every LCD ive seen does... bump down to 640x480 or something, and it gets really tiny, and 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 native LCD is really blurry and ugly.
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 300x10________15" Macbook Pro
    2x 512mb Mushkin DDR _______________2x 1Gb DDR2
    Sapphire X850XT____________________X1600M
    DFI Ultra-D_________________________2.16Ghz Merom C2D
    Lian-Li PC7A________________________OS X/XP
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I already posted a picture compareing the viewabl area between 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9 aspect ratios in the "Common Aspect Ratios" section.
    I also added a link below with the difference between 4:3 and 5:4 viewable area in CSS
    Oops, must have missed it while reading your guide. Anyway, congrats, your guide is on the front page!

EDIT: I still don't see a section with how much a game can stretch. That would also be very helpful for people who will be playing a non widescreen capable game on a widescreen display.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak
    Last edited by ferrari_freak; 08-27-2005 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast