Thread: A64 OC With Generic Power Supply

A64 OC With Generic Power Supply

Hey guys, currently I have a 3200+ Venice (0520 GPEW), running at 2688Mhz.
    It's running off a "500w" psu (Usicase). The cpu is taking about 1.63v to be absolutely stable. What I am wondering is if I get a decent psu, say an OCZ or an Enermax, would the amount of voltage my chip needs to be stable drop? For reference it has an 18 amp +12v rail.

no it won't, all a top tier supply does is make more voltage availble in a more stable manner and just plain give you MORE coltage. I bet your cpu oc doesn't change a lick if you change power supplies.

For example that so called 500w PSU puts out as much on the 12v rail as my three year old 400w Vantec stealth, and 12 v less than my OCZ....all psu's are not rated equal.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Addict
    I have to partly disagree. Strictly speaking the CPU needs a certain voltage to run stable at a given speed and swapping PSU won't change the voltage needed BUT generic PSUs tend to fluctuate much more than quality ones so you have to set a higher voltage to take the fluctuation in consideration where a good PSU would let you set a voltage much closer to the minimum required.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRun
    I have to partly disagree. Strictly speaking the CPU needs a certain voltage to run stable at a given speed and swapping PSU won't change the voltage needed BUT generic PSUs tend to fluctuate much more than quality ones so you have to set a higher voltage to take the fluctuation in consideration where a good PSU would let you set a voltage much closer to the minimum required.
    Welcome to the Forums

Seconded. You have to take the fluctuations into account. I used to have a generic Delta PSU. It was very flakey on the rails and I couldn't clock much at all - restarts/crashes etc. Now on my Hipers - I clock till the sun goes down as it provides a much more stable environment.
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    No Motherboard
    TeamGroup Team Xtreem 2x1GB PC2-5300 Micron 3-3-3-8
    ATi Radeon X1800XT 512MB

4 x Hitachi 7K80 80GB 8MB cache in RAID0 and RAID1
    320GB 16MB cache Seagate 7200.10
    OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU
    Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
    Logitech Ultra-X Keyboard
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers
    Coolermaster Stacker T-01 Blue Trim
    Windows XP Home SP2

Dual Laing DDC Ultra w/ Alphacool Pro Top, Swiftech Storm Rev.2, DangerDen Maze4 LP Delrin, Thermochill PA120.3
    A shop to satisfy all your watercooling needs: Petrastechshop

If minor fluctuations actually make it through the circuitry on the mobo's power transformers.... depends on how severe it is, most aren't that severe. If the voltage drops they just suck more amps to compensate, it's when you hit the rails amp limit you start to suffer...
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    If minor fluctuations actually make it through the circuitry on the mobo's power transformers.... depends on how severe it is, most aren't that severe. If the voltage drops they just suck more amps to compensate, it's when you hit the rails amp limit you start to suffer...
    Probably what happened in my case as the generic was only 300W.
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    No Motherboard
    TeamGroup Team Xtreem 2x1GB PC2-5300 Micron 3-3-3-8
    ATi Radeon X1800XT 512MB

4 x Hitachi 7K80 80GB 8MB cache in RAID0 and RAID1
    320GB 16MB cache Seagate 7200.10
    OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU
    Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
    Logitech Ultra-X Keyboard
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speakers
    Coolermaster Stacker T-01 Blue Trim
    Windows XP Home SP2

Dual Laing DDC Ultra w/ Alphacool Pro Top, Swiftech Storm Rev.2, DangerDen Maze4 LP Delrin, Thermochill PA120.3
    A shop to satisfy all your watercooling needs: Petrastechshop