Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293637383940 LastLast

Thread: New Members Welcome & Advice Thread

and why does this seem too limit @50% of cpu usage?
    -phenom II x4 955 BE 3.7 GHz
    -msi 790fx-gd70 bios ver 1.6
    -8 GB - OCZ platinum amd edition 1600 MHz @ 7-7-7-24-28-1T@1.72 v - OCZ3P1600LVAM4GK
    -msi radeon 4890 oc edition 955/1150
    -2x western digital caviar black 640GB
    -kingwin mach 1 1220 w psu
    -coolermaster cm690 nvidia edition (LOL)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BoNg View Post
    and why does this seem too limit @50% of cpu usage?
    From What I remember, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Running an intel chip with HT on you need to run dual smp clients.

well finished 2 wu's 1st used 50% cpu, then reboot let 2nd run over night it only used about 25% now started on 3rd and still only using 25%. this is using the system in my sig. ive look @ running 2 instances but as it seems right now that only put me @ 50% again. and atm im only getting 265.85 ppd :/ on a positive note i have a score of 395 and just started last night is that ok?
    Last edited by BoNg; 05-27-2010 at 08:42 AM.
    -phenom II x4 955 BE 3.7 GHz
    -msi 790fx-gd70 bios ver 1.6
    -8 GB - OCZ platinum amd edition 1600 MHz @ 7-7-7-24-28-1T@1.72 v - OCZ3P1600LVAM4GK
    -msi radeon 4890 oc edition 955/1150
    -2x western digital caviar black 640GB
    -kingwin mach 1 1220 w psu
    -coolermaster cm690 nvidia edition (LOL)

Sounds like it is either core limited or it isn't running the SMP units.

What project # is it working on currently?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey guys!
    I'm no xtreme folder, but my HD4850 wants to stretch its legs a little now and then, so I'm gonna let it run a couple of hours/day for this team
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Member
    Well figure to throw in a few points with yalls team over the next few days as I have my hardware offline doing some repairs. My PPD wont be all that for now and will only be folding will yall for a couple of days. But my next expansion of the farm will be folding 24/7 for 36362

FoldingForTheFuture
    EG

Xtreme Addict
    I'm a bit confused here, shouldn't two clients with the same passkey have the same user id?!

Edit: And of course, a warm welcome to our new comrades, have a nice stay! =)
    Last edited by p2501; 06-08-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerwidh View Post
    Hey guys!
    I'm no xtreme folder, but my HD4850 wants to stretch its legs a little now and then, so I'm gonna let it run a couple of hours/day for this team
    That's great, every bit counts

Quote Originally Posted by FoldingFanatic View Post
    Well figure to throw in a few points with yalls team over the next few days as I have my hardware offline doing some repairs. My PPD wont be all that for now and will only be folding will yall for a couple of days. But my next expansion of the farm will be folding 24/7 for 36362

FoldingForTheFuture
    EG
    Glad to have you aboard with us, even for a few days at a time
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Glad to have you aboard with us, even for a few days at a time
    Well I am fortunate enough to be able to output enough PPD to make some headway in just a couple of days. I am still trying to tweak all of this hardware for optimal PPD. But shortly will have to drop all of my GPU back to stock because of heat.

FoldingForTheFuture
    EG

Well I am fortunate enough to be able to output enough PPD to make some headway in just a couple of days. I am still trying to tweak all of this hardware for optimal PPD. But shortly will have to drop all of my GPU back to stock because of heat.

FoldingForTheFuture
    EG
    I have been trying to follow your progress.. that is a huge ppd, are you focused on cpu or gpu?

http://www.xcpus.com/folding/Folding...ortDirection=1

For some reason i dont show up on the team list.

Doing cpu + 2 gpu now, fans making some huge noise!!
    Last edited by twistedneck; 07-10-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
    I just got done setting up a 3800+ X2 @ 2800 mhz with 2 F@H cores running. I did the usual tweaks.. I needed to test stability and this is the best way imho So, we will see how many WU i can crunch. Hopefully it will help you out. I was hoping i could have xfered my points from another i crunched for before, but i see standford disable that option now.
    Haltech, can you explain 'the usual tweaks' ?

How are those 3800's running? will they run open cl soon?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedneck View Post
    I have been trying to follow your progress.. that is a huge ppd, are you focused on cpu or gpu?

http://www.xcpus.com/folding/Folding...ortDirection=1

For some reason i dont show up on the team list.

Doing cpu + 2 gpu now, fans making some huge noise!!

I am not sure they are any longer updating the table you linked to. you do appear in this one.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...s=&t=36362&p=5

Your PPD output doesnt look right for 2 400 series GPUs

As for what i use to get my PPD so high is a GPU farm with a few CPUs running SMP clients. I only have about half of my hardware online at this time. I took it down for maintaince the other day and damaged a 4 way SLI mobo that i will be replacing today or tomorrow.

I am not sure they are any longer updating the table you linked to. you do appear in this one.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...s=&t=36362&p=5

Your PPD output doesnt look right for 2 400 series GPUs

As for what i use to get my PPD so high is a GPU farm with a few CPUs running SMP clients. I only have about half of my hardware online at this time. I took it down for maintaince the other day and damaged a 4 way SLI mobo that i will be replacing today or tomorrow.
    Thanks for spotting that list for me.

Not sure about totals on line. i keep stopping and starting so much during these crashes. Here is a screen shot of the clients running. Hope everything is stable now.

GPU farm!! now i see why Nvidia is excellent, cuda is way ahead of open cl. What type of Mobo you changing to? EVGA?

Xtreme Member
    I am just changing out a EVGA 4 way sli mobo for another, no biggie.

But yea in the GPU market Nvidia holds the crown in F@H. But maybe we will see better support for ATI in the near future. I had to sacrifice part of the farm not long ago because the cost of running it was getting to high. During the summer our electric company has two 3 hr slots you receive a penalty for using electricity in, at a rate of over 7.00 dollars per KWH. So something had to give.

Iron Within Iron Without
    Ello Gooses, Dogs, Sparkies & rest
    I've been trying to make the F@H SMP client to run.
    It Runs , Detects the CPU correctly as a 6 threaded , downloads an a3 Core but I get 480 Project cores that take quite a lot of time. So I stopped it after a while,
    started BOINC and WCG which loads the core and crunches since yesterday for loads and loads of points happily.
    Anything that changed in the meantime I last F@H'd SMP ?

by the way I know I should load the GTX 480 with F@H but I'm sorry I can't ...
    Penalty ?

Oh by the way 36 Degrees Celsia fully loaded on air ? Beat me Intel Guys
    Sony PS3 | Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Fit

By Mercedes - Adventure Trips around Middle Europe in a Youngtimer | https://www.facebook.com/S.Mercedesem - Like Us, if you Like us that is

Hey guys,
    I'm super new to everything which should make an awesome learning experience. Unfortunately this is like the only beginners thread I can find. So what sort of folding do you guys do? how exactly to these teams work like does the whole team fold for the same cause or two??

Thanks in advance guys.

Xtreme Cruncher

Hi and thanks for stopping in!
    Unlike some other grid computing projects where you can target your work towards specific cures, folding is more simple in that all the work go towards the same objective, which is protein folding research. This research is fundamental to how molecular processes function (and malfunction) and thus creates a greater understanding of diseases. The hope is that the research will provide insights that lead to cures!

The research is divided into "work units" that each user fetches from the Stanford servers, computes, and then returns. Users can group themselves together onto teams. Stanford awards "points" for each work unit successfully returned to their servers. Points are then aggregated up by user and by team and voila! you have competition between users and teams!

XS is currently the 19th ranked folding team in the world. There are a few hard core folders here, but honestly participation in the XS folding team has dropped dramatically since the recession has hit. Depending on how many points you want to "score", you can really use up some electricity! But it's a very personal choice if you want to fold and how much...every little bit helps!

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kondik View Post
    Ello Gooses, Dogs, Sparkies & rest
    I've been trying to make the F@H SMP client to run.
    It Runs , Detects the CPU correctly as a 6 threaded , downloads an a3 Core but I get 480 Project cores that take quite a lot of time. So I stopped it after a while,
    started BOINC and WCG which loads the core and crunches since yesterday for loads and loads of points happily.
    Anything that changed in the meantime I last F@H'd SMP ?

by the way I know I should load the GTX 480 with F@H but I'm sorry I can't ...
    Penalty ?

Oh by the way 36 Degrees Celsia fully loaded on air ? Beat me Intel Guys
    Hey Kondik:

I was running a stock cooler which was useless. I replaced it with a TRUE and easily got to 4.0 Ghz with great temps. With nothing else running the smp would get 15K+ PPD. I run 4 8800 GTS' on the same rig. That drops the points to 12,844 PPD. How does that compare with your rig? I only have 4 GB PC 1600 DDR3.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Iron Within Iron Without
    That's an evil question WFO, since I couldn't make the client run properly I left it at WCG only , no FAH for this baby.
    But the temps are still epic , and since winter comes and I leave the window open is deadly cold.
    Sony PS3 | Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Fit

By Mercedes - Adventure Trips around Middle Europe in a Youngtimer | https://www.facebook.com/S.Mercedesem - Like Us, if you Like us that is

Xtreme Cruncher
    That's an evil question WFO, since I couldn't make the client run properly I left it at WCG only , no FAH for this baby.
    But the temps are still epic , and since winter comes and I leave the window open is deadly cold.
    i had a hard drive die because it froze, had my computer in the window during winter once (like 6 years ago though)
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have no idea why you had problems. You've been around sooo long. I'm sure you were using the latest version. F@H smp runs well on all my rigs. There are some very slow WUs. 8 minutes + per frame.

My X6 1090T is currently running @ 41C. 80F ambient on air. I'm using 1.424 v-core.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Back from the Dead
    Guys, just a quick Q: I found a stripped 8800 GTS 640 (G80) in the trash
    Did a ghetto haxxx0r mod involving an Intel boxed cooler and what can I say - it works
    Anyway, I haven't been folding in a while due to my main cards being ATIs. But I noticed there's a GPU V3 client by now - installed, but the card didn't want to crunch.
    Installed the old GPU V2 and it works.. does GPU V3 in general not work on older cards?
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

I *think* (not sure since I've not tried) that GPU3 is only for the most recent gen cards.
    The Cardboard Master

Back from the Dead
    Ok, thanks Sparky
    We'll see if the card still runs tomorrow, or if it goes up in smoke
    From memory I lowered core and ram clocks, but increased shader clocks to about 1300... maybe it can do more, but I'd like to see if it really works long-term first
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Guys, just a quick Q: I found a stripped 8800 GTS 640 (G80) in the trash
    Did a ghetto haxxx0r mod involving an Intel boxed cooler and what can I say - it works
    Anyway, I haven't been folding in a while due to my main cards being ATIs. But I noticed there's a GPU V3 client by now - installed, but the card didn't want to crunch.
    Installed the old GPU V2 and it works.. does GPU V3 in general not work on older cards?
    GPU3 was designed for fermi based cards from nvidia. g80-gt200 cards should still use GPU2, in fact, GPU2 will actually get you more points as GPU3 is still being tested.

also, i hear that Stanford is working on a new amd/ati client so keep your ears open!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293637383940 LastLast