Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3037383940

Thread: New Members Welcome & Advice Thread

It's the ultimate stability test, for sure. Sometimes I feel bad for these cards, originally designed to run hard for a few hours at a time, then we take them and thrash them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Well, I don't, mine go idle for a few hours overnight as my internet gets turned off each night (running a Sprint air card).
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Wow, no posts in this thread in a year. Hopefully somebody responds. I finally got around to joining the Xtreme Folding Team - planning to use my modest rig and PS3 to contribute to the cause.

However, I have been getting BSODs after some unknown amount of time. I thought my overclock was rock stable, having run small FFTs, memtest86+, etc. etc. without any issues for years. Due to my AMD card, I am trying the new beta v7. People on the stanford forum indicate that their software having a beta error would not cause BSOD, so it must be hardware or drivers.

Right now I think I will knock my CPU/ram overlock back to defaults and see if I can fold for a week or something without BSOD. That would show whether my CPU overclock is somehow at fault. Otherwise I might be forced to conclude that my graphics card likely cannot fold at factory clocks.

Also, I noticed my GPU-z shows the GPU at around 50-70% of usage (8 i7 CPU threads are at 100%). Some people seem to get closer to 100%, but that could be related to the beta, my AMD card (vs. NVIDIA), gremlins, etc.

Anyone have any advice or experience? Thanks! Looking forward to contributing!
    Last edited by shifty803; 11-09-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    People will tell you to do all you can, but i will say the Ps3 isn't worth it for the PPD/watt.

You should go back to stock and play some games, if the card still acts up return it. IDK how the ATI client is coming along but with that monster rig you should skyrocket past users for a good while if you're just starting up.

I managed to get my rig a little less laggy, but the people using it still say "Why is it running so slow?" "It's the mouse i think" (wireless)
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    People will tell you to do all you can, but i will say the Ps3 isn't worth it for the PPD/watt.

You should go back to stock and play some games, if the card still acts up return it. IDK how the ATI client is coming along but with that monster rig you should skyrocket past users for a good while if you're just starting up.

I managed to get my rig a little less laggy, but the people using it still say "Why is it running so slow?" "It's the mouse i think" (wireless)
    Thanks for the response! Nice to see people are still alive around here. I suspect PS3 is better than you realize. The "slim" version like I have only uses 100 watts or so, much better than the older PS3. Also, I think I read on the F@H forums that the points from PS3 are capped. Supposedly you are getting alot more science done than the points would lead you to believe.

I suspect my computer uses about 300 watts for the overclocked i7 and another 300 for the GPU. So it had better be a ton faster to match the PS3.

Currently I am reoptimizing and checking my overclock to be extra sure it is stable. From there I'll work on getting things happy as far as games/folding. That'll give me an excuse to play more BF3 (as if I needed one).

I have joined the cause with a PS3. Its folding 24/7. 8 WUs complete allready, 244ns/day (?). Its at my workplace so i dont care about the power bill

and thanks!
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Hello, everyone!
    I'm actually member of overclockers.ua (from Ukraine) and I just want to post message, but don't know, what thread I must post it in.
    And it looks like I have no respective permissions..

I just want to present to you our nice new Sidebar Gadget called F@H Monitor 1.0.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gadgets.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	127162

My design, Dr.Oz's code. It's useful only for monitoring V6 Clients. Try it here.

Xtreme Member
    That is sweet!

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.31v [L041C123] | Gigabyte P67-UD3P-B3 | Corsair H60 | 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 8-9-8-24-1T | Samsung F3 1TB |
    ASUS GTX 670 2GB| PCP&C Silencer 500W | Antec Three Hundred "Blacked Out" | Dell Ultrasharp 23" U2311H IPS 1920x1080

Is there any thread about monitoring stats, where I could post link on our gadget?

BTW, soon V7 Client will be supported. Also there will be available detailed user and team stats in the fly-out.

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    Any updates on support for V7?
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Cruncher
    V7.2.9 is the latest. You can grab it here.

And you can read all about it here.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3037383940