Page 1 of 39 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New Members Welcome & Advice Thread

Hybrid View

Here to help

Arrow New Members Welcome & Advice Thread

Thanks for taking the time to check out the team. Any question you have on starting to fold and help us advance up the league just post here and we'll help you out.

Regards

John.
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 08-02-2008 at 01:04 PM.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

SLC
    I'd do it once in a while but definately not 24/7. Like I can prob fold while playing cs . i am on a 2.8ghz 3800 venice. last time I tried installing it didnt like me very much or maybe it was just my 64 bit windows.

Xtreme Member
    well i leave mine on when im asleep and when im just surfin the web

whats the xtremesystem stanford team number?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyMartian
    whats the xtremesystem stanford team number?

36362. Welcome to the team!

Here to help
    Correct as in this new sig

Regards

John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad_sig.jpg 
Views:	433457 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	35218  

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

a day or two depending on the procs...

happy 100 and welcome to the team
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    a day or two depending on the procs...

happy 100 and welcome to the team
    well, I hesitate to call myself part of the team just yet...I don't know if I'll be able to leave the machines running this all the time. There are some cooling issues in my computer room, and there are also some actual work that has to be done on them at times, so we'll just see. Maybe I will get addicted to the rush of "points" though . I am mainly curious to see if I set everything up correctly.

Here to help
    100 machines If they only fold 10% of the time thats a tremendous effort

Regards

John.

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by pythagoras
    100 machines If they only fold 10% of the time thats a tremendous effort

Regards

John.
    Well, _something_ is FUBAR. Ran the machines overnight, and most of them completed at least one work unit, but all of them except the front node quit the client immediately on completion, and none of those that quit seem to have reported their results. I'm going to scale back to just a few nodes until I figure out how to get a proper setup, then turn the rest on for a while.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by angra
    Well, _something_ is FUBAR. Ran the machines overnight, and most of them completed at least one work unit, but all of them except the front node quit the client immediately on completion, and none of those that quit seem to have reported their results. I'm going to scale back to just a few nodes until I figure out how to get a proper setup, then turn the rest on for a while.

Can you post a log file from one of the machines that didnt send in the results? Or are you sure its a networking problem?

BTW- Welcome to team Xtreme!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    screen
    ./FAHCore...
    CTRL A + D

screen -x to reattach...

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Radeon 4850 | Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-2400 | Asus P8H67-M EVO (Waiting to change to Z68) | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 | 8x2TB Samsung F4-HD204 | OpenIndiana | ZFS raidz2

XS Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo580
    screen
    ./FAHCore...
    CTRL A + D

screen -x to reattach...
    yes, I know how to use screen . But when you are launching 100+ sessions , it's worth investing a little time in automating the process. Unfortunately, it takes so long to do a work unit that I have to wait a day to see if the automation went right.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Just noticed you were using Linux and I have never used it before so Im useless here.

I see you got 5 CPU's going so far, we'll see you at the top quickly.

Fold on!

XS Mad Scientist
    well I was able to leave 38 CPUs to run over the weekend. I'm still waiting on a power drop in the machine room so that I can spread the electrical load out from one UPS that is a little bit overloaded before I can run all of them full bore.

We'll see how many points we can add to the team in a few days . I'm afraid we'll never catch up with the mega teams but we can move up a little in the standings.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by angra
    well I was able to leave 38 CPUs to run over the weekend. I'm still waiting on a power drop in the machine room so that I can spread the electrical load out from one UPS that is a little bit overloaded before I can run all of them full bore.

We'll see how many points we can add to the team in a few days . I'm afraid we'll never catch up with the mega teams but we can move up a little in the standings.
    Excellent!

Yeah its gonna be hard to compete with the big teams but we arent doing too bad for only having 12 active folders(which I cant believe thats all we have). We need to do something to gain some attention to F@H.

Pythogoras, can we sticky this please?
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Here to help
    Done

Xtreme Addict
    i just got a ps3 yesterday (boxing day special w00t) and i've started folding. ive gotten 3 protes done sofar. whats the benfit of joining a team? i'm helping alone just as well as with a team right?
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Member
    i just got a ps3 yesterday (boxing day special w00t) and i've started folding. ive gotten 3 protes done sofar. whats the benfit of joining a team? i'm helping alone just as well as with a team right?
    Hi there and welcome. The PS3 is certainly awesome... I have one folding as well.

For the cause of folding there is no difference in folding for yourself or a team, but folding for a team can get you more in the competitive spirit! It is the competition that helps drive a lot of us to fold more, which in turn does more for the cause of course.

If you would like, you can use 36362 to join up with XS. Currently, we are ranked 63rd overall as a team.

Benefit of joining a team is you get enough people together and you can then go out and pick on other members in the team for some fun competition or as a team pick on another team to race them to a certain goal or something like that
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

We as team 36362 are gaining considerable momentum and Pythagoras and I are not going to sit on our hindmost parts and not take notice. A membership drive and some other interesting things will definitely be happening for xtremesystems.org in the not distant future. Sign up now and be a part ! We will be kicking some serious buttocks!

****The above statement is a highly biased view of team 36362, the owners and operators of xtremesystems.org take no responsibility for the ranting of a madman.

BOYCOTT MIR's

I am Xtreme
    We should put the Guide up on the front page as news, and then like a week later put the roster up on the front page as news...

maybe we can get some more users on the forum that way at least.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    I just got done setting up a 3800+ X2 @ 2800 mhz with 2 F@H cores running. I did the usual tweaks.. I needed to test stability and this is the best way imho So, we will see how many WU i can crunch. Hopefully it will help you out. I was hoping i could have xfered my points from another i crunched for before, but i see standford disable that option now.

Quote Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
    I just got done setting up a 3800+ X2 @ 2800 mhz with 2 F@H cores running. I did the usual tweaks.. I needed to test stability and this is the best way imho So, we will see how many WU i can crunch. Hopefully it will help you out. I was hoping i could have xfered my points from another i crunched for before, but i see standford disable that option now.
    Haltech, can you explain 'the usual tweaks' ?

How are those 3800's running? will they run open cl soon?

Page 1 of 39 123411 ... LastLast