View Poll Results: Which evaporator would you use?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cap in Cap

1 1.72%
  • chilly1

37 63.79%
  • Baker

5 8.62%
  • Maze (any variety)

5 8.62%
  • Other (if other, please specify)

10 17.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: 1 Evap, 2 Evap, 3 Evap, 4, but which one?

Xtreme Member

Poll: 1 Evap, 2 Evap, 3 Evap, 4, but which one?

Hmmm...Which evap? Can I get your opinions on which ones to use? And does anyone have any performance charts? Thanks a bunch,

~Toad

Xtreme Mentor
    Chilly1s are the best. Awsome mounting and massive load handling capability.
    For those of you about to post:

Xtreme Member
    What about an evaporator for SLI/Crossfire/other future dual video card? Does chilly1 have any good SLI blocks?

~Toad

Here to help
    I voted other, because the best one hasnt been built yet

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Xtreme Member
    @ pythagoras: You dont make a very good pythagoras :p

Maybe I should have changed the name of the poll to "Which evaporator (that is currently around) would you use?"

Here to help
    Okay, I'll use the one thats in my head

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Xtreme Mentor
    Which avalible evap is the best? Chilly1s.
    For those of you about to post:

-150c Club Member
    Chilly1's is the best, but the easiest and cheapest to make is the Cap in Cap and they work insanely well..

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    somewhere where the 2nd compressor isn't needed
    I choose baker cuz it's the only evap I got from someone :P

Worst overclocker evar!!
    i voted OTHER because i've been testing the new pc ice evap and it has some very good characteristics... it does not trap oil... it also keeps liquid refrigerant very close to the base... great load characteristics.
    I used to have links here demonstrating how awesome I am, but it's been so long that they're not very relevant (and the pictures have disappeared), so I guess I'll have to get working on new stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah. Chilly block has one major advantage over its curent rivals and that is the mounting. I'm a bit sceptical if there is that big of a difference between lets say Chillys or Bakers products preformancewice.
    cool cool cool!

Xtreme Addict
    You can't go wrong with the chilly1 block.

Obviously the chilly1 block speaks for itself with all the above people posting about it.
    And he does make VGA block. I can speak for it personally. I built a single stage cooler using one and its just like the larger block.

Links below 4 u!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...+chipset+block
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6020056.sized.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	34935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6020059.sized.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	34936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030105.sized.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	34937  
    I like building Vapor phase coolers......
    ......to cool mynipples!!

Heat is "gclg2000"
    95-0-0

-100C Cascade Club

HVAC/R Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by eshbach
    i voted OTHER because i've been testing the new pc ice evap and it has some very good characteristics... it does not trap oil... it also keeps liquid refrigerant very close to the base... great load characteristics.
    Well it is not really his... It is a copy///

Xtreme Legend
    i love mazes simply to do, work very well, the trick maybe the nº of maze layers, maze design, etc, chilly1 must be good, but it musn't be cheap to get in europe becouse out of EU taxes, maybe becouse this i never think on test one.

it's hard to compare evaps... maybe let's say, lets compare bios temp on a dfi+fx55 .13 @ 1.8v and -100 evap temp,
    under this conditions i can get near -60 on bios with my 2 layer homemade maze.

but evap may condene evap temp right? so, for me a good evap must make good temps, must pass good temps to cpu and must handle good load temps,

maybe an equilibrated coper mass be the principal nah?

3dmark addict
    phase-change addict
    dirty benching addict
    tits lover

Xtreme D²OL Cruncher
    Chilly1's evap is vey similar to Cathar's Whitewater from a few years back, both in design maunfacture and market effect. the design uses roughly the same principle, both need more advanced tools to make easily although can still be made with a dremel if you try hard enough. lastly both have moved the market on offering better performance than norm with ease of use.

the whitewater is probably the most copied waterblock ever and i can see the same happening with Chilly1's design too, however i would draw a distinct line between someone using a slightly altered design and make one or two blocks for themselves and copying it for commercial use.

I wonder if the analogy will stay true and we might have jet impingement evaporators soon. although i dont think it will be as easy if we cant use delrin etc.

-100c Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly1
    Well it is not really his... It is a copy///
    Looks significantly different to me?

I personally don't know which one would be better between chilly's pc ice's and bakers (they are at least all cylindrical and work on basically same flow pattern with either moving in spiral, stepping, or around the perimeter) Honestly, they all sounds like they will work well one way or another as long as tuning follows the characteristics of each block.
    It is like saying.... Storm G4 will be better than swiftech MCW6002 when there are MANY variables that attributes to the characteristics to blocks in my view. And frankly, I can't imagine anyone being able to do this with same equipment (same compressor condensor), proper tuning and finding more than few degree difference for load temp... :P (If someone has this much time, lemme know, I am willing to donate some to find out)
    Even if someone did that, each block will behave differently as desgins are different under different compressor condensor, cap tubing length, etc quite obviously...
    That said, I would think mounting would play important role as well as needing to orient block on proper way (anyone notice 3-4c difference on Mach units cooling depending on socket orientation? :P) will play heavy role.
    I like the Baker Evaps mounting method the best (got the pre cut neoprene stuff which makes insulation brainless)... probably most similar thing to vapochill mounting. Next would be this custom mounting method being used using armaflex, etc. (nothing against it really other than sometimes hard to find the correct pressure on actual system... not bench station where everything is flat)
    Orientation on all 3 of them shouldn't be major issue as block can rotate against mounting but I would worry about few other designs which can't accomdate that.
    Well, so what I am saying is.... the 3 looks good to me one way or another. Baker, Chilly, PC ICE's...

PS) Even mounting might not matter as I believe all 3 blocks can just use vapochill's mounting... I know bakers and PC ICE's will... Just need confirmation on chillys which I think does but don't remember :p
    Last edited by jinu117; 07-27-2005 at 11:20 PM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Addict
    I voted other,cause I'm right now testing the new @ito'r MA1 evap, and is working better than all the other evaps I'd used.

Chilly1's first batch was a good evap, and the next version will be good too.
    Baker18 is a good evap too.

-100c Club Member
    I use Baker on mine vapo, 2 evap to former canalina waterblok by PC-tuner(ita)for my dd sli,and 1 evap by home made fast-dimas on mine cascade. moreover I am waiting for 2 evaps by Chilly1 for an other mine vapo ls and other project

is evap for my cascade 50x50is

this

Last edited by Fast; 08-06-2005 at 11:33 PM.
    P5N-Tdlx 780i SLI-Q6600 G0 @3,6ghz.. liquid-2x1gb Geil Blak Dragon 900mhz 4-4-4-10-Pov 8800gt 740-1850-1050 stock cooling-Antec Tc 550Watt-Raptor 10k-2x80gb ide Raid0-500gb sata2 raid0-320gb sata II

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by |RickY|

maybe an equilibrated coper mass be the principal nah?

Nah
    You need to get the heat out of the processor, so what you need is a fast transfer of heat from the proc to the gas, not just a big chunk of copper, but lot of internal surface, and a balanced base (thin one) so you can get the heat.

must pass good temps to cpu
    You cant pass cold, because cold doesn't exist... just an absence of heat... get your own conclusion... (I help you: must "pass" good temps (good transfer of heat) FROM the cpu TO the evap)

Cossey

The design I'm using is from a waterblock designer, @itor , so it is derived from his own designed blocks, more than "3 years ago"...
    His last waterblocks get the same if not better temps than a G4, so it is a good start for an evaporator...

One of his water blocks

First evap made

This is a really small evap, but it has more than 20 square inches internal surface... in just 38mm diameter and less than 30mm height.
    I'm getting better deltas and better transfer than any other evap I used, and as you may see, the design is not too different to what you see in the forums maybe, the difference is that the person doing it knows a lot about his hobby, so all in the evap is calibrated, fins and base thickness, internal sections, expansion, etc is in balance.

Many people have really good teorical knowledge, but a few have real field experience.

ln2nl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssilencer
    Nah
    You need to get the heat out of the processor, so what you need is a fast transfer of heat from the proc to the gas, not just a big chunk of copper, but lot of internal surface, and a balanced base (thin one) so you can get the heat.

You cant pass cold, because cold doesn't exist... just an absence of heat... get your own conclusion... (I help you: must "pass" good temps (good transfer of heat) FROM the cpu TO the evap)

Cossey

The design I'm using is from a waterblock designer, @itor , so it is derived from his own designed blocks, more than "3 years ago"...
    His last waterblocks get the same if not better temps than a G4, so it is a good start for an evaporator...

One of his water blocks

First evap made

This is a really small evap, but it has more than 20 square inches internal surface... in just 38mm diameter and less than 30mm height.
    I'm getting better deltas and better transfer than any other evap I used, and as you may see, the design is not too different to what you see in the forums maybe, the difference is that the person doing it knows a lot about his hobby, so all in the evap is calibrated, fins and base thickness, internal sections, expansion, etc is in balance.

Many people have really good teorical knowledge, but a few have real field experience.
    Thats a good looking evap overthere man! i cant wait to see results with it
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eshbach
    I vote pc ice to. More affordable, work great from what I've seen and have been well tested.

Xtreme Addict
    How do you know that it works great?

The Blue Dolphin
    Maze with pins in de mazes.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssilencer
    How do you know that it works great?
    Because that is now what pc ice uses on his units and they work just as good as any chilly block. Check out dumo's cascade and tell me that isn't good performance.

-100c Club Member
    Close the thread maybe? I am seeing this turning into petty argument instead of what might be strength of each block. The comment such as "how do you know it works good?" was just rediculous on my view when there are proven projects (number of cascades and single stages humming along getting very good temperature)... I know there are differences between Chilly and PC ICE right now as it stands but this childish siding need to slow down or stop. When you see a good thing, it is a good thing. If you see a dud, it is a dud. Don't let your feelings judge your better part of brain.

PS) I've been thinking... why don't we open a new section called "FLAME ON" and grant PC ICE access back to the open arena and you guys could fight over till all steams are gone? just a thought.
    Last edited by jinu117; 08-07-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast