Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So far So good

Xtreme Addict
    Glycol Loop Test (Cooler Loop) Successful!!! No leaks
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    Alrighty, got some picture updates. Got tired of blurry pictures, so I found some good vantage points from which to take some clear and crisp pictures... for once. Of course, not all of them were taken on still ground. But most. Used the zoom to take em close. :p

I had a video I took with the camera to let ya hear the pump, but it made it sound more noisy than it actually is. Sure, its noisy; but not THAT noisy.

I used some rubber plugs for shock absorbers. Unfortunately, I underestimated the length of my carriage bolts. Looks like I've gotta go get some nylon spacers to replace the washers I used instead. Got a rubber washer between them and the pump. I noticed a pretty good change in the noise level.

Tomorrow I begin the Condenser Loop.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    I really like the look of your system, a system put together with love and thought
    Roll on the big test

Xtreme Addict
    Alright, the condenser loop has been assembled, soldered, and tested. Works perfectly. Had only one leak, which I was able to patch.

The solder looks pretty ugly. :p Did the best I could with that cheat stuff. I know I'm used to brazing with high temps, but come on... Part of the problem was that the flux just plain sucked. I've never made such ugly solder joints.

But none the less, the joints are now all good.

As you can see I used the same mounting system. Unfortunately the higher rig seems to cause way more vibrations. I'll have to iinvestigate why that might be.

You'll also notice the pressure is sticking at 90PSI. Works for me
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Nice work Stew.. You really did some nice work on your chiller.. Can't wait to see you make a DD.

insulate it well n give us yr temps..
    to me, i looks more like a direct phch system not a waterchiller

Xtreme Member
    Well, that certainly looks a bit different from what I thought. You say you got a bit of vibration? Is it coming from that pump or whatever it be thats on the wooden legs? My guess is if the pump was mounted on solid timber on the base the vibes wouldn't be there unless the pump is a bit dodgy. Mount on solid or brace up the raised bit, looks like there only two legs supporting the weight. Well thats my theory anyway. happy playing

Wanna look under my kilt?
    That is one B.B. water chiller!! Very nice though. What kinds of temps are you hoping for?

Kenny

Xtreme Addict
    Expansionvalve guy, the vibration is coming from the pump; its perfectly normal for it. Its just that the upper mounting allows for the vibrations because of the way its built. Its no big deal really, the thing I put this inside of is going to be sound insulated VERY well.
    Regards, Stew.....

very impressive setup, truly an inspiration to me

Xtreme Member
    I see what your saying Stewie, my first read of the post kind of made me think you were not too happy about the vibes and something was wrong like. I should of known you would of had all under control

Xtreme Addict
    I can see how you'd gather that hehe. I'm overall disappointed that I couldn't dampen the vibrations as much as I was hoping, but, there are ways to overcome this. The lower pump mounting is working very well to deaden the vibes.

All in all though, I'm not displeased, since it all is working out very well. This particular setup far exceeds the quality of the last one.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    i'm fascinated... can't wait to see some temps

ln2nl
    Great chiller... only insulation left?
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

Xtreme Addict
    Well the computer needs to be finished... Right now I'm low on funding, its going to have to wait a bit. Got other things I need to worry bout right now.

But as for what's next, I've got a water block that still needs making, and all of the hard lines. Not going to use tubing.
    Regards, Stew.....

ln2nl
    What waterblock for use? or a custom?
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

Xtreme Addict
    I'm gonna make one. And all of the tubing will consist of 5/8" coil. Got a nifty bender to ensure that it can make the tight bends required for the inside of a computer.
    Regards, Stew.....

ok stew, this thing is getting more and more complicated on a x^3 factor here. y axis being compexity, and x being the number of days.

At first it made sense to me, but as you get it more and mroe completed, its just a mirrage of copper tubing, pumps and somewhere in there a compressor.

I just hope u get some crazy temps with this setup.

Xtreme Addict
    Well you know I am limited in just what I can show you. Pictures make it look that way, but some of the pictures just don't give you a sense of depth or anything. It looks like a mess of tubing. You also have to take into effect that its not done, there are none of the finishing touches. But its not just a mess of tubing with a compressor somewhere in there.
    Regards, Stew.....

stewie it was a compliment I guess it didnt come out that way.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL! Now I see!

I wasn't quite understanding how you meant that.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    It'll look less like a maze of copper tubing though once I get finished. Plus, wait till ya see what I'm going to put this thing inside of.

Generally, you'd expect it to be inside a small, compact container. But since it's rather large, bout the size of your average AC system minus the condenser, lol, I'm going to build a chest for it.

It'll look like any ordinary piece of furniture, except inside it'll contain my system. The top will be a flip top, with a second "flip top" to cover all of the gauges, and monitoring equipment. If that weren't enough, I've gotta ensure that the noise level is to a minimum.

These pumps are quite noisy for something you're going to put indoors. You'd hear it running from downstairs with the door closed. So I'm going to encapsule it inside a "Sound Box" as I like to call it.

This will be made up of obviously the outer walls of the chest, a layer of spray foam or any soft plyable material that I can smoothly apply. After roughly 1/4 - 3/8" of that, there will be a layer of a harder material. Either cork, or something harder like plastic. That'll be sealed off, and inside a final layer of insulation. Probably a fiber glass variant, since it doesn't vibrate as much as foam rubber. Some foil on the inside will prevent any shedding of the fibers; not good for the skin.

The bottom will contain likely 1/2 - 3/4 Inches of soft spray foam. The stuff I use dries like rubber, so its not totally stiff. On top of that has to be plastic. Then I'm going to spring mount the system, to prevent vibrations from going through the base, through the short legs and into the floor. Heck, I'm even goin to put some soft rubber between the chest floor and legs. Not to mention the top will have the same kind of insulation.

Open the chest, it'll sound like a buncha humming and whining. Close it... "Whats.. eh?"

The ventilation system will of course let some noise out, but I'm planning on using ducting that I'll insulate myself (the flexy hose like). That way too much sound won't escape. Plus, the temperature inside will be controled by controls that will be on my desk. How will I do that?

Well, you've got warm air from the condenser loop, and cold air from the chiller loop when it comes back from the 'puter. This of course from a radiator on the loop. Mix the two together in variable quantities and you have temperature contro, rather archaic, but control. :p The condenser loop will have a bigger radiator too, hence more warm air. The cold air will be... quite cold. hehe

As you can see... I've been thinking... A bit too much like an engineer; I.E. its probably way over the top. :p
    Last edited by Stewie007; 07-31-2005 at 06:43 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Awesome idea! Im in college now and i just built a watercooling system but when im outa college, ill do this. Maybe once i get an apartment in a year or two!

Stewie, make sure that the pumps are getting proper cooling in the soundbox. Depending on how not well the motor is isolated from the impeller you wont need airflow for the chilled side as the chilled water might cool the pump well enough, but for the hot side of the system you will deffinetly need some low speed 120mm fans to create some air movement or you will be getting motor case temps of 85-95C no problem.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007
    The ventilation system will of course let some noise out, but I'm planning on using ducting that I'll insulate myself (the flexy hose like).
    Aye Maxx, already thought of it. I'm going to do two things actually. There will be two air control vents blowing in, and one larger blowing out. One will blow air towards the two pumps, and the other will keep the rest of the compartment cool, while the circulation vent blows the air out to keep it flowing. Stagnant air is not an option.

Those pumps will be running only warm, and the system will not over heat due to lack of circulation.
    Regards, Stew.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast