Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've had it with this board...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtz54321
    As far as I know , do not use CMOS reloaded setting between different bios version ... There may be some different cmos define between different bios version ... And before you complain about the unstable , you should check with the non-oc configuration first to see if the system is not even stable in non-oc setup ... I don't think it's the board or bios problem ... You are dealing with overclocking , not general system ...

Thats fair comment, except that as I pointed out before I only used cmos reloaded with the same bios version (6/23). Flashed to 7/02 to test, didn't like it so went back to 6/23 and used Cmos reloaded. I do not believe Cmos reloded to be the problem anyway, as i clear cmos a few times and tried manual setting afterwards too.

One thing I would say is that I have been in this game long enough to know when something is buggy, and in my opinion this board is very buggy. It can't make up its mind, it will be ok for a while then throw a wobbler for no reason.

I get access to a lot of hardware, and have tried differant PSU's (PCP&P, Enermax, OCZ), RAM, HDD's (SATA and IDE), CPU's (FX-53, 3800+ Venice, 4000+ Sandy, FX-55) nothing has changed the querky schizophrenic nature of this mobo...in my opinion it is flawed and I can't wait to get rid of it.

This is just my opinion, I dont not wish to upset anyone here, and I am not loyal / biased to any company. If DFI produce a great board in the Lanparty UT RDX200 CF-DR, then I would more than likely buy it as I would the grouper if thats a great board.

Just wish ATI would get a move on
    Last edited by madpete; 07-03-2005 at 07:39 AM.
    Intel Core i7 3820 / ASUS X79 Sabertooth
    Gskill 2133mhz Quad 16GB / Auzentech X-FI Forte
    Sapphire HD5970 OC 2GB
    4x 500GB Western Digital "Black Edition" (Raid5)
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1500w PSU / OCZ 1250W PSU
    Corsair H100
    CoolerMaster CM-690 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Samsung T260HD 26" LCD / HDTV

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madpete
    One thing I would say is that I have been in this game long enough to know when something is buggy, and in my opinion this board is very buggy. It can't make up its mind, it will be ok for a while then throw a wobbler for no reason.
    I think you need to check if the system is completely stable when you are in non-oc setup ... And try overclocking in the next step ... I really don't get it , but when you have been in the stable-unstable game long enough , why not find the real reason of the root cause ? Maybe it's the board you got is not a good one , maybe it's you so-called stable oc setting is not really that stable ... If I were you , I will reset all the setting and see if my system is stable under non-oc for one-week ... If it's not stable even in non-oc , I will send the board back and stop using that board ...

Xtreme Member
    Ok, but this is the point i am trying to make here...

Last week when running @ 2.98ghz I left the PC running prime95 toture test for a little under 24hrs, it passed with no problems at all. This week with those same settings, same hardware etc, its not stable. Either its not stable at those settings, or it is, which is it?

Maybe your right, maybe i have a faulty board i wont discount that possibilty, but I have seen so many people post with very similar experiences of this board that it makes me wonder.
    Sapphire HD5970 OC 2GB
    Corsair H100

Xtreme Member

Last week when running @ 2.98ghz I left the PC running prime95 toture test for a little under 24hrs, it passed with no problems at all. This week with those same settings, same hardware etc, its not stable. Either its not stable at those settings, or it is, which is it?

Maybe your right, maybe i have a faulty board i wont discount that possibilty, but I have seen so many people post with very similar experiences of this board that it makes me wonder.
    We are here dealing with extreme overclocking ... When you overclock the system to the edge , even one degree of room temperature variation makes the difference ... How do you know your setup is complete stable no matter what kind of situation that will happened ? 24hrs of prime95 does not gurantee that the when you complete 1st 24hrs of non-fail testing , it can do it once again ... Remember , the test program is always a specified pattern ... So check the system is complete stable for non-oc setting about 1 week and do the next step ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzimark
    i find my dfi nf3-250 behaves differently from a boot when it previously had no power.. most notably, if i leave any voltage on 'auto', it goes to stock instead of it's last used value.

Yeah, I get the same issue with my DFI NF3 board, I'm running 24/7, with a few reboots inbetween. Occasionally, and without me changing BIOS settings, the system becomes instable, so much so that Prime 95 will error out in seconds. I simple turn it off, clear the CMOS, reset the BIOS exactly like it was, and bingo, it's stable again until the next random occasion where it decides it wants to play funny buggers.

Thankfully these random occasions only occur every 3 to 4 weeks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mofo

DFI made it real easy for the noobs to play with hardware in such a manner theyre not prepared. If you just go comb most noob forums, read some of the funny stuff people are posting about. They go on about how much experience they have building systems but if you review their past threads, their asking how to setup raids, flash bios and the famous Critique my system threads. Thats my feeling about it anyways.
    Heeehehee really fun, where as some peeps may be genuine others will be the n00bs you refer to...heheheeee

Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Xtreme Addict

What you mind telling me if the ambient temperature within the case/room/freezer was the same as last week?

thanxs
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0

Xtreme Member
    Lol, it was actually hotter last week when it worked fine, maybe we're going about this the wrong way and it likes heat
    Sapphire HD5970 OC 2GB
    Corsair H100

Xtreme Mentor
    Ive seen the same issue with mine, one day it will Prime 24+ hours. A few days later without a setting change I will prime it and fail in 15 mins. I have conceeded the fight and dropped a few MHz and now it seems to consistently be able to prime for long periods of time.

Awhile back I was using the MSI Neo2, picked up the EPOX 9NDA3J board to play with. The Neo2 would let me OC about 5 MHZ on the HT higher (~40-50Mhz clock speed), however I was having the same problem where it would prime for hours, then next run would fail in minutes. So upon getting the EPOX I realized I could not overclock quite as high while using it. The way I looked at it was that the MSI neo2 was giving me a bit more from the chip with the tradeoff being rock stability, whereas the Epox was probably giving me a more honest overclock since it was not allowing me to prime at all at the higher overclock but would never prime for 10 hours then 10 mins. Anyways I think the DFI board is doing the same thing, allowing us to run the CPU a bit higher than what is actually 100% stable.

At 2.8GHz (1.64v and up to 1.69) I can prime like this (20 hr,then 20min), however I backed off to 2770 1.60 v and I have never failed prime yet.

...and still running!!

i7-2600k @ 4.8Ghz 1.38v L044A892
    ASUS P8P67 LGA
    16GB G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    1/2" ID Masterkleer, Swiftech MCP-655, Thermochill PA120.3 Rad, XSPC Rasa, MCW-60
    Cooler Master UCP 1100 Watt PSU
    GTX 680 1300/7000
    Lian Li PC V-2000

Quote Originally Posted by wtz54321
    I think DFI is ok in taking care of current product ... At least we still see that DFI update the bios for the user when they complain or add the new function for us ... You can check with ABIT or MSI forum about the complain and how they react , not any good compare to DFI ...
    On this one we would agree Much better BIOS updating than most manufacturers... only complaint there would be the time to make the Vmem init change

And I've seen problems with using CMOS reload when changing BIOS versions... but not when using same BIOS version as CMOS reload was for. Have also gotten into the habit now of doing a full clear when flashing to different BIOS revisions using "/cc /cd /cp" switch settings on AWDFlash.

Peace

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled
    Heeehehee really fun, where as some peeps may be genuine others will be the n00bs you refer to...heheheeee

Ive been doing this since 1991.. yourself?

XIP
    It depend on what is stable for ea. system. My 55SD can bench/game @3.49Ghz with phase, but probly will fail prime @ 20 seconds (never care to try it) with ultra-d mobo.
    I got this mobo when it 1st. available @ retail and never give me any problem....ran with air or phase.....stable

Xtreme Member
    Theres barely a day goes by when this mobo doesn't annoy me, I'm counting the days till grouper arrives. One day it's the best mobo in the world, the next its a bag of pants.

Its been overnight prime stable at 2.98ghz for a few days, today I tried the new 7/02 bios and got instability so flashed back to the bios I was using before (6/23) and used cmos reloaded
    NEVER use CMOS reloaded after a flash !!!!!

ALways manually redi everything !

Uses CMOS reloaded ONLY within a certain bios version - never transfer settigns from one bios version to the other !

BUT - i have to agree with you....i know what you are talking about.

sadly....
    Q6600 g0 L741 1.4V@35xx-> 8x44x FSB - 5:6 333/800- 2x2gb OCZ XTC Plats@53x mhz - dfi lp X38 TR2, Ultra Xtreme 120 - W7 64Bit - NV GTX275 - Corsair 520 (blew up) -> Toughpower 750W

Xtreme Addict
    Lol, it was actually hotter last week when it worked fine, maybe we're going about this the wrong way and it likes heat
    Hehheee, who knows, wouldnt be the strangest thing in the world. Just imagine, different heat spots within the case could be effecting the flow of air (convection currents) changing critical temps in certain areas of the case

Quote Originally Posted by mofo
    Ive been doing this since 1991.. yourself?
    Not that long really, I got my first computer September 2001, after half an hour looking at the case, it was in bits on my floor, another hour later I was on the phone to a friend of mine trying to find out what the bios does. Of course he didnt know, the rest is history

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12