Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hitchikers guide to galaxy - must see!

Xtreme X.I.P.

hitchikers guide to galaxy - must see!

you have to watch that movie guys! its really nice!
    its incredibly entertaining and full of smart comedy and satire!
    the entire cinema was laughing really hard on several parts of the movie
    very nice movie! the best movie made after a book ive seen so far!
    i think its because douglas adams wrote the script for the movie, its really great movie and a must see! i loved it!

for those of you who dont know about douglas adams brilliant books and are new to the story:

the story begins in england, where "arthur dent", the main character of the movie, finds out that his house is about to get smashed to make room for a highway. soon his best friend "ford perfect" visits him and tells him he has even more important news to tell him. he tells arthur how not only his house but the entire planet earth will get smashed within a few minutes! it turns out that ford perfect is actually an alien from some distant planet, and that earth is about to get smashed to make room for an intergalactical highway
    together they manage to escape earth before it blows into a thousand pieces and ford introduces the all confused arthur to the twisted and insane galaxy and all the weird and freaked out creatures that live in it.
    my favourite characters were the confused president of the galaxy who needed a special mind tweaking helmet to increase his iq to a level that he was smart enough to make sence, the always depressed and suicidial robot marvin, as well as the vogons, the clerk aliens of the universe who have lost their minds in the infinite beaurocratic system they work in and have lost any feelings and logic

my favourite quotes:
    "so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
    "omg! watch out hes got a towel! im hit! im hit!"
    Last edited by saaya; 06-16-2005 at 07:45 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    a trilogy in four parts excelent book
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    "so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
    "
    you know it took a week to get that tune out of my head

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It doesn't come close to the book tho
    Opteron 165
    Dfi NF4 Expert
    4x1 1GB twinmos PC 3200
    XFX 7900GT 550/1500

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankster
    It doesn't come close to the book tho
    of course not... thats impossible for any movie made following a book imo, but its a great movie... seeing the movie doesnt destroy the fun of reading the book, like peter jacksons lotr movies did...

check out the original trailer btw, its as good as the movie itself and made in the same style!

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

movie trailers usually also imploy a deep voice that sounds like a 7 foot tall man who has been smoking cigarettes since childhood, cough

also check out the behind the szenes clips, very nice stuff!

another nice quote of the movie:
    "in the beginning the universe was created, this made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move"
    "the best drink in existance is the pan galactic gargle blaster. the effect of wich is like having your brain smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large golden brick"
    Last edited by saaya; 06-17-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Xtreme Gentoo User
    The books were just goddamn funny, haven't seen the film yet. I might go and see it at the cinema at some point, or wait for it to come out on DVD.
    Last edited by masterofpuppets; 06-18-2005 at 06:27 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Radioshows > books > film > tv series
    Some great stuff in the film, i loved how they did the planet building, it looked awesome, and i also liked the fact they put in some touches to fans, like in the queue for the Vogon form place, one of the people in the queue is Marvin from the original tv series. They did the improbability drive stuff well too.
    Was definately a good idea to get away from the plot of the radioshows and books, quite a lot of that stuff can only really be done in imagination, and wouldnt work for most of the fans as everyone imagines it in a different way.
    And dont forget there are 5 books, most people forget "Mostly Harmless" - "the fifth book in the increasingly inaccurate trilogy"

G

c[_]
    currently working through the dirk gently omnibus..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

you guys need to see the origional BBC version of it. the new one is all changed and they fubared it. but the BBC release of it (origionally on radio and adapted to TV) uses EVERY word in the book, line for line..

the new movie cut out a bunch of junk too..

i suggest you read the books or if u too lazy for that watch the origional realease. its on DVD.

Xtreme DČOL Cruncher
    definately agree this one looks nice but the story has been butchered and almost all of the best lines have been lost. although a few have survived "must be a thursday ,never could get the hang of thursdays"

lol.. i love that line..

one of the best was getting the construction guy to lay on the ground...

and in the origional zafod beeblebrock had two wangs...

c[_]
    I dont remember him having two wangs in the books... i've got all 5 (and duplicats of a couple due to some being original prints and others belonging to a set I picked up about 8 or 9 months back.

Banned
    Intels Labs, having my Thermal diode modified.
    marvin the paranoid android is the best character

marvin is depressed not paranoid. lol..

stevil i think the two wang thing is something they added in the BBC adaptation. the actors were screwing around on the soundstage and he stuck an "extra" member down his pants and they all thought it was funny so they left it. they do NOT mention it during the movie at ALL as they keep completely true to the book (word for word) but its just funny as hell.. the thing is like 15 inches or so and goes down his leg and he is wearing white spandex pants so its REALLY obvious..

Xtreme DČOL Cruncher
    marvin is referred to as the paranoid anroid by both trillian and zaphod in the books

marvin calls himself "manic depresed" and so does trillian and zaphod. it is arthur dent that says he is a paranoid android. I am watching the BBC adaptation of the book as I type this. They say this right as they are getting out onto the planet where they make planets (name escapes me at the moment and i dont want to rewind)

Xtreme DČOL Cruncher
    magrethea

c[_]
    funnily enough, town not too far north of me is named Magrath.. kinda close anyways.

well Stevil, just about EVERYTHING in hitchhikers is an inside joke.. and i mean just about everythin. alot of them are more noticeable than others but just about every little detail douglas adams put into that book is a joke of some sort...

ford prefect for instance.. its a car.

c[_]
    Yes, I know that.. but I dont recall adams spending time in southern alberta

Unless he knew Fay Wray maybe.. (born and lived in Cardston, about 40 ish miles west of Magrath).

Xtreme Member
    amazing books. terrible movie. just terrible.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    but the BBC release of it (origionally on radio and adapted to TV) uses EVERY word in the book, line for line..
    The book came after the radio series, so the book uses every word of the radio series.
    Thing that annoyed me most was the fact that they even changed Arthur Dent's height just to fit the casting. WRONG WAY ROUND!!!!!

G

Xtreme Member
    Awful awful film.

Why did they deviate from the actual plot sooo much?

What was all that crap about zaphod having one of his heads cut off, and the vogons capturing trillian and taking her to their planet, and the stupid 'point of view' gun.......

Fantastic books, had to read them all again after being subjected to the tradgedy that was the film.......now onto dirk gentlys holistic detective agency.

Could of been a really stunning film....

E2180
    MSI P35 Neo2 FR
    Geil Black Dragon 2x1GB
    EVGA 7900GTX
    Toughpower 750W
    Viewsonic VP191b

Xtreme Member
    I finished reading the first book (yes, for the first time!) one day before watching the movie and I got really disappointed... But not surprised.
    The book(s?) is/are *way* better.
    I'll admit that some things were damn funny, but lots got cut out/butchered
    [DFI nF4 Ultra-D @ 6/15 BIOS] // [Venice 3000+ @ 2.8GHz @ 1.472v] // [2x512MB SP BH-5 @ 2-2-2-8 200 MHz 2.63v... for the moment] // [Sapphire X800XL Ultimate] // [OCZ Powerstream 520W]
    Super PI 1M record: 29.969 // Suicide screen record: 3 GHz // LBBLE 0517 DPMW batch ~300 on air // Stable enough?
    TB 900 + Venice 2800 folding 24/7, TB 1200 folding whenever it's on, profile

Xtreme Member
    Now open a browser window, get your credit card ready, type the address for amazon in your country, and order:

Restraunt at the end of the universe
    Life the universe and everything
    So long and thanks for all the fish
    Mostly harmless
    Dirk Gentlys holistic detective agency
    The long dark tea time of the soul

They are all excellent, douglas adams is brilliant writter.

E2180
    MSI P35 Neo2 FR
    Geil Black Dragon 2x1GB
    EVGA 7900GTX
    Toughpower 750W
    Viewsonic VP191b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast