Thread: News: Samsung sues rambus?

Xtreme X.I.P.

News: Samsung sues rambus?

The world’s largest maker of memory, Samsung Electronics, has filed a lawsuit against technology firm Rambus Inc., accusing the latter in improper receiving of technology-related information being a member of memory standard regulatory body. The suit has been filed shortly after Rambus terminated its licensing agreement with Samsung and sued it for patent infringement.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/...613201126.html

id rather have expected rambus to sue samsung

I am Xtreme

Talking Samsung settles case with Rambus for $900 million

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    id rather have expected rambus to sue samsung
    Source: http://www.tcmagazine.com/
    For the foreseeable future Rambus is pretty much safe financially as it has reached an agreement with Samsung to settle a memory patent dispute for $900 million. The recently-signed deal will see Samsung pay Rambus $200 million up-front and another $25 million per quarter for the net five years, the former also pledging to invest $200 million in Rambus stock. In exchange for the money, Samsung is getting a license covering all of its products that use Rambus technology.

"We have a tremendous opportunity to renew a partnership which has created solutions that have benefited consumers worldwide," said Harold Hughes, President and CEO of Rambus. "Bringing together Samsung's market and technology leadership with our innovations for high-performance and high-efficiency memory architectures will make possible an exciting new generation of mobile, computing and consumer electronics products."

In addition to the settlement, the two companies have inked a memorandum of understanding regarding the development of new memory technologies that combine both Samsung and Rambus innovations. The first products to come out of this collaboration will target graphics and mobile memory solutions.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    I can't believe what I have just read
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme CCIE
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Successful troll was trolled.

Edit: Wait a minute, after actually reading the article it sounds like Samsung lost it really. They pay Rambus $200 mill + $25 mill for a few years and get free licensing? That sounds more like a negotiated deal than a lawsuit. Thread titles are so misleading
    Last edited by Serra; 01-20-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

I am Xtreme
    Basically, Samsung sued Rambus and got some money, Rambus got furious and sued Samsung for a lot more.
    Last edited by zalbard; 01-20-2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Basically, Samsung sued Rambus and got some money, Rambus got furious and sued Samsung for a lot more.
    Gotta love patent madness. So much potential for hollywood Oh, and without the patent system thousands of lawyers would lose their jobs, that has to count for something, right?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

NooB MOD
    Rambus has gone from being an irritant to highly amusing
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wait up, this thread is nearly five years old! Zalbard, did you see today's news and do a search to make sure you didn't repost?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    Wait up, this thread is nearly five years old! Zalbard, did you see today's news and do a search to make sure you didn't repost?
    Yeah. And I found this thread with Saaya's comment about Rambus suing Samsung. Sounded funny enough to reply him in this manner.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Addict
    that's what I call a successful thread revival

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Member
    So ramsue's future seems solid, they have plenty of money to make new patent landmines and sue anyone who wants to make memories or they just hold the world ransom for ONE Million dollars.

Xtreme Member
    Ugh. I hate Rambus, their business practice of suing everyone and everything is really crappy.
    So much money which could have been invested into technology R&D has instead gone to lawyers.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Yeah. And I found this thread with Saaya's comment about Rambus suing Samsung. Sounded funny enough to reply him in this manner.

That is pretty funny.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Rambus sued me once because the way my brain cells stored stuff. Then we set a deal and I got piss drunk. No more harassment from Rambus since then, IIRC.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmm, Ironic Irony is Ironic
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    Except for the money garnered from companies settlements in lawsuits, what exactly maintains Rambus as a business? And don't tell me Nintendo64 and Playstation 3 made a difference.