Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: -50c air cooling, Vortex Tube

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What will you do with 127ºC air? It looks like a turbine engine...
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by comrad
    LOL, Insulted,
    Yep, if insulating doesn't reduce the noise try insulting the vortex tube......might be able to shame it into quietness.
    Official ORB bottom feeder.

Xtreme Member
    get 3 of them going at the same time, heh

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1 000 000 RPM LOL now that is Xtreme.

G

Xtreme Member
    Do you plan on running a closed loop or open? Meaning is the air going to be cycled or will it just keep taking in air from the surroundings?
    | Intel 2500K @ 5GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 MHz | Crucial M4 256GB | Asus GTX 770 OC | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W | Qnix QX2710

History: AXP-2400M, AXP-2500M, Core2 E6600 - all minimum 50% overclock

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_sharp
    Do you plan on running a closed loop or open? Meaning is the air going to be cycled or will it just keep taking in air from the surroundings?
    You could do that with a compressor feeding a tank, etc. Probably wouldn't be the most efficient to re-use the air exiting the hot end.....maybe just the cold air after you run it through a sealed heat sink of some kind. You could turn a heatsink into a kind of 'water block' for cold air.

EDIT: I may actually try this...only need ~100psi...... Looks like the best you could realistically hope for is about 30-40C below the temp. of the compressed gas. If you use compressed room air, temps may not be spectacular.
    Last edited by DrJay; 06-13-2005 at 05:03 AM.

The Blue Dolphin
    If you blow already cold gas (like just evaporated ln2 at -190 or CO2 gas from dry ice at -70) would it just ad to the temperaturedrop?

Lets say -70 from CO2 gas + -50 from turbine = -120 degrees C?

If it works like that it could be -50 + -190 = -240 degrees C, now that's xtreme !!!
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexio
    If you blow already cold gas (like just evaporated ln2 at -190 or CO2 gas from dry ice at -70) would it just ad to the temperaturedrop?

If it works like that it could be -50 + -190 = -240 degrees C, now that's xtreme !!!
    I think it has to be something from a compressor / tank......not evaporated gas.
    I'm not sure what the temp of compressed CO2 is....fairly cold, but I don't think it is -70 like frozen CO2. Hopefully an expert can correct me here...

The Blue Dolphin
    Dry ice evapoates at -78.5 1bar, the compressor allso makes a bit of a vacuum so -70 would be accurate I think but that wasn't the point.

I think you can just use a compressor to "pump" the CO2 gas to the vortex tube, the only thing I'm wondering is if it just ads to the subzero temperature the tube creates itself.

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Surely the substance would just return to it's previous state if it was cooled again, so the nitrogen would become liquid again and the CO2 would become solid.

G

The Blue Dolphin
    Yep didn't thought about that, if there is liquid or solid material in the vortex tube at such high rpm it will destroy itself. Maybe you can make solid nitrogen

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

Xtreme Addict
    I suppose the venturi effect cooled carburators for years, why not an amplified effect?

I wouldn't blow straight at it, but a 'blow through' into a heatsink finned area on the cpu with a slight airflow reduction would work well, and minimize wasted effort...you still wouldn't get the same effectiveness of a good single stage phase unit, but pretty close as long as the cooled finned area were large enough...then the heatsink would be insulated similarly to an evap head...

Still really only good for bench rigs though, direct blast and you're looking to get the air out of the rest of the case, side blast and you can't really have a 'front' of the case...

Good use for an air compressor while you're not using it tho..

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Dry ice evapoates at -78.5 1bar, the compressor allso makes a bit of a vacuum so -70 would be accurate I think but that wasn't the point.

I think you can just use a compressor to "pump" the CO2 gas to the vortex tube, the only thing I'm wondering is if it just ads to the subzero temperature the tube creates itself.
    Yeah, i know that wansn't your point. I wanted to point out that I don't think the CO2 gas wil stay at the temp it evaporates at. If you've got some sort of PC system giving you a supply of CO2 gas at or near those temps,....then just use that and skip the vortex tube altogether.
    The point: If you start out with -78 CO2 gas, can you gain another 30-40C? I guess that would depend on what temps the CO2 would stay gaseous at given 100PSI. Seems like the tube wouldn't work with a liquid.

Xtreme Mentor
    My shop is mainly pnumatic, it would be easy to move my benching setup out there and I could get 250 PSI air. If these happen to work well I have alot of little 1 to 2 HP compressors that can easily put out 100PSI. I can make a copper ducting system to exhaust the hot air outside.
    For those of you about to post:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol, most of you do understand this requires an aircompressor right?

and to get to 100 +psi, it takes a bit of power, and then to keep it tehre, it takes a bit more power, now i dun know about any of you, but i have a 150 psi compressor for doing things to our cars, and well, its got more than 70 db from that thing alone, so really, u get 70+db from teh aircompressor then u get 70+ db from the vortex blower deal, u got a good concert of bursting ear drums, especially in a small room

now, if u are using a hs and fan, and ur fan dies with out u knowing, you could use this to cool ur heatsink and what not, but really, i dun see anyother applications that would be worthwhile, even benching, i wouldnt use it
    Last edited by trance565; 06-13-2005 at 09:56 PM.
    emptiness

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trance565
    lol, most of you do understand this requires an aircompressor right?

and to get to 100 +psi, it takes a bit of power, and then to keep it tehre, it takes a bit more power, now i dun know about any of you, but i have a 150 psi compressor for doing things to our cars, and well, its got more than 70 db from that thing alone, so really, u get 70+db from teh aircompressor then u get 70+ db from the vortex blower deal, u got a good concert of bursting ear drums, especially in a small room

now, if u are using a hs and fan, and ur fan dies with out u knowing, you could use this to cool ur heatsink and what not, but really, i dun see anyother applications that would be worthwhile, even benching, i wouldnt use it
    100PSI isn't that much. You could just put a compressor outside and run a line inside to the computer. Or some kind of sound isolation around the compressor. The compressor motor / piston wouldn't be running constantly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my 5hp compressor, has to run the whole time if i take my air blower deallie, and hold it open at 100psi, and then it starts to lose psi, so, idunno if craftsman has a hardtime doin it ....
    emptiness

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Hmmmmm,....many obstacles. There has got to be a way. I wonder if Fugger has come up with something already.

Alexio, sorry for the late reply.

It works with gasses. The possibilities just opened up even more. Long duration is the problem though but it might be possible to mix them with a valve and introduction of something like nitrogen.

Would be cool to test some stuff in the near future.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ur really gonna have a hard time using that thing for more than .... 20 mins at 100 psi, tho i guess thats just about enough time to do some benching, but seriously, there is noway this could be used in a practical sense, it would be more expensive than prolly a cascade
    emptiness

HVAC/R Engineer
    Yes, but there is the possibility of using this principle with a refrigerant in an evaporator and getting autocascade temps with one gas. I am looking into the principle behind it and just maybe we can apply this to my evaps.
    Last edited by chilly1; 06-14-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Moral Police
    yhea but you still have the exhaust going up to 127°C

And personally, I feel a Chilly, PCIce, or whatever evap will work a lot better overall. Less noise, less BS, no exhaust like that, and a lot cooler to go to lans to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly1
    Yes, but there is the possibility of using theis pinciple with a refrigerant in an evaporator and getting autocascade temps with one gas. I am looking into the principle bejind it and just maybe we can apply this too my evaps.
    the way i see it, it will never be a pracitcal use for cooling the computer, for short amounts of time, perhaps, but for anything longterm, no way
    emptiness

HVAC/R Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Entity_Razer
    yhea but you still have the exhaust going up to 127°C

And personally, I feel a Chilly, PCIce, or whatever evap will work a lot better overall. Less noise, less BS, no exhaust like that, and a lot cooler to go to lans to
    Well that would then be the returning gas to the compresor and I think it may be a proportional to the entering gas temperature.

Xtreme Member
    wow..i'm impressed by the principle and the implementation of it...however...guys...look at the standard cubic feet per minute (scfm) @100psi..thats an ENORMOUS requirement for flow, your looking at an industrial compressor...here is one I found that will fit the bill for a unit that will do the -50ish temps...
    Model SRSH-125-185
    (Rotary Screw Compressor)
    The hydraulically driven 125-185 cfm module units give you all the versatility and quality that's made American Eagle the leader in PTO rotary screw compressors.
    • Single stage
    • Asymmetrical lobe profile rotors
    • Capacity: 125 cfm @ 100 psig @ 1600 rpm
    • Capacity: 185 cfm @ 150 psig @ 2000 rpm
    • Dimensions: 41.5 ”L x 30 ”H x 39 ”W
    • Weight: 600 pounds

just so you know for HP requirements start looking for a motor with approx. 30HP
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 930 @4ghz
    EVGA GTX 480
    3x2GB OCZ DDR3-1600
    PCP&C Turbo Cool 860 watt
    Win. 7
    5.5ghz Presler Validation
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang
    I thought since that I pay for my internet. I could download anything I want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast