Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My DFI has flatlined my redline....

Xtreme Member
    Reading this makes me wonder if the Abit AN8-SLI is the way to go. I keep having memory trouble with my NF4 SLI-D. Seems like whenever I change ram, it wont boot for a good 12 hours. Possibly a grounding problem though. Anyway, anyone going to get the AN8 instead? I can live with 3.55v on the ram

-Collin-

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R
    Reading this makes me wonder if the Abit AN8-SLI is the way to go. I keep having memory trouble with my NF4 SLI-D. Seems like whenever I change ram, it wont boot for a good 12 hours. Possibly a grounding problem though. Anyway, anyone going to get the AN8 instead? I can live with 3.55v on the ram

-Collin-
    3.55 V @ ram ? Tis not stock is it ?

The latest Abit Board have max 2.9 so u need to do a direct 3.3v mod. Abit board are great. Its that it did not had a 3.2 v option for the memory but if it had i would have bought a Nforce 4 solution from Abit.
    System Specs: -=Game PC=- | -=Lan Box=-

Xtreme Member
    Hey guys, a while back I started this thread after my second lot of ram died on me (first lot was OCZ VX). Due to two different manufactures of ram, the rumours floating around, and the fact that I had stuck to the warranty voltage and provided plenty of cooling I blamed the DFI for the death of my memory.

3 or 4 weeks ago I received of replacement Redline modules from Mushkin, determined that this time the memory would not be killed by dodgy volt control I brought a OCZ DDR Booster and an OCZ PowerStream to replace my old Enermax PSU.

With these installed I set about installing the Redline, which I had set at the following:
    260mhz / 1.5-2-2-6 / 3.46v (using booster). The ram handled this no problem, with no instability and no errors in any memtest I ran.

All was fine, and I was sure that I was safe this time round, until yesterday it happened again. Exactly the same thing, one stick dead, one stick ok…system wouldn’t post.

I would like to say now that given what’s happened, I no longer believe the mobo was at fault for the death of any of my ram. I now agree 100% with Pershoot’s earlier post that CH-5/UTT cannot handle high volts for periods of time, I have no experience of BH-5 yet so I can’t comment on that.

If you have to get / use CH-5/UTT I would keep it under 3.3v no matter what the cooling, and buy from OCZ or Mushkin both of which have given me excellent support when I needed it.

The point here today anyway is to set the record straight on what I say earlier in the initial post, hopefully I’ve done that.

Pete.
    Intel Core i7 3820 / ASUS X79 Sabertooth
    Gskill 2133mhz Quad 16GB / Auzentech X-FI Forte
    Sapphire HD5970 OC 2GB
    4x 500GB Western Digital "Black Edition" (Raid5)
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1500w PSU / OCZ 1250W PSU
    Corsair H100
    CoolerMaster CM-690 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Samsung T260HD 26" LCD / HDTV

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madpete
    Hey guys, a while back I started this thread after my second lot of ram died on me (first lot was OCZ VX). Due to two different manufactures of ram, the rumours floating around, and the fact that I had stuck to the warranty voltage and provided plenty of cooling I blamed the DFI for the death of my memory.

3 or 4 weeks ago I received of replacement Redline modules from Mushkin, determined that this time the memory would not be killed by dodgy volt control I brought a OCZ DDR Booster and an OCZ PowerStream to replace my old Enermax PSU.

With these installed I set about installing the Redline, which I had set at the following:
    260mhz / 1.5-2-2-6 / 3.46v (using booster). The ram handled this no problem, with no instability and no errors in any memtest I ran.

All was fine, and I was sure that I was safe this time round, until yesterday it happened again. Exactly the same thing, one stick dead, one stick ok…system wouldn’t post.

I would like to say now that given what’s happened, I no longer believe the mobo was at fault for the death of any of my ram. I now agree 100% with Pershoot’s earlier post that CH-5/UTT cannot handle high volts for periods of time, I have no experience of BH-5 yet so I can’t comment on that.

If you have to get / use CH-5/UTT I would keep it under 3.3v no matter what the cooling, and buy from OCZ or Mushkin both of which have given me excellent support when I needed it.

The point here today anyway is to set the record straight on what I say earlier in the initial post, hopefully I’ve done that.

Pete.

I'll bet ALL the tea in china the stick isnt dead, the board sucks
    DFI Ultra-D
    X2 3800 Toledo 290x10 (1.39v) (not tweaked yet)
    2x 1GB Ballistix
    Sapphire X1950 256
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
    OCZPowerstream 520
    Custom water cooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If the stick isn't dead then you can boot at stock settings.

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Radeon 4850 | Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-2400 | Asus P8H67-M EVO (Waiting to change to Z68) | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 | 8x2TB Samsung F4-HD204 | OpenIndiana | ZFS raidz2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo580
    If the stick isn't dead then you can boot at stock settings.
    Not always, depends how Cr@p your board is, mine sometimes needs 24hours of no power to boot 2 sticks @ 2.5.3.3.6
    DFI Ultra-D
    X2 3800 Toledo 290x10 (1.39v) (not tweaked yet)
    2x 1GB Ballistix
    Sapphire X1950 256
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
    OCZPowerstream 520
    Custom water cooled

Xtreme Member
    jiff, i know exactly what your getting at, the board does suck...my opinion on that has not changed, its too tempremental. There have been times when this mobo has made me turn green and rip my shirt off shouting rarrr pete smash, pete crush, pete destroy. lol
    Intel Core i7 3820 / ASUS X79 Sabertooth
    Gskill 2133mhz Quad 16GB / Auzentech X-FI Forte
    Sapphire HD5970 OC 2GB
    4x 500GB Western Digital "Black Edition" (Raid5)
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1500w PSU / OCZ 1250W PSU
    Corsair H100
    CoolerMaster CM-690 / Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Samsung T260HD 26" LCD / HDTV

Xtreme Member

Pete.

your not the only person it happened to so it could possibly be the mobo. But if it happens on other mobos like an8 then your conclusion is correct

Oh man am I p**sed off, this is the second time this has happened with two different lots of ram (Mushkin and OCZ).

My DFI mobo has very kindly killed my brand new Mushkin Redline

This has happened before with some OCZ VX PC4000 I had, except on that occasion it killed both sticks, this time its feeling generous and has let me off with just the one. (So far anyway, I'm just waiting on the other one dying.)

I HAVE STAYED WITHIN VOLTAGE SPEC, and have 6 fans cooling the dimms.

The first time it happened I just put it down to bad luck, but twice?

In between the VX and the Mushkin, I have been using TCCD with no real problems, other than it doesn't like anything over 2.7v (higher gives memtest errors). I put this down to the memory but it seems strange.

I have done nothing wrong and again I now have to RMA my ram (most likely at my cost...AGAIN...and most likely gonna take weeks AGAIN).

To be honest I'm thinking of changing my mobo, I've had enough
    That will teach you not to buy from DFI. All DFI is a little gimmic with there bright little colors and fancy things like that to catch a persons eye. I always go with ASUS.

Quote Originally Posted by calcal
    your not the only person it happened to so it could possibly be the mobo. But if it happens on other mobos like an8 then your conclusion is correct
    Nop, I had a stick of OCZ EL GOLD 4000VX die on me last night. Had been running ok for a month @ 250FSB 3.3V 2.2.5.2. Last night it would not even be memtest 2 stable at stock settings...
    Case: Corsair D800
    Cooling: CPU=EK Supremacy, GPU=Koolance VID-NX690, Pump=MCP655, Radiator= Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm
    PSU: Corsair 1200i
    Mobo/bios: Asrock Z77 Xtreme4
    CPU: 3770 @ 4200
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1866MHz CL9
    Disks: Lots of ssd's
    GPU: EVGA GTX690 Quad SLI
    Sound: X-fi Titanium
    Monitor: Crossover Q27

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvlive08
    That will teach you not to buy from DFI. All DFI is a little gimmic with there bright little colors and fancy things like that to catch a persons eye. I always go with ASUS.

ive learned that after my first dfi purchase

i only buy asus and abit mobos

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not DFI, it's just this board with the 3.3/5v jumper thing. Look at their old boards when they just fed RAM off the 5v line....

mmm that new crossfire board ^^

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Radeon 4850 | Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-2400 | Asus P8H67-M EVO (Waiting to change to Z68) | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 | 8x2TB Samsung F4-HD204 | OpenIndiana | ZFS raidz2

Quote Originally Posted by Huigie
    Nop, I had a stick of OCZ EL GOLD 4000VX die on me last night. Had been running ok for a month @ 250FSB 3.3V 2.2.5.2. Last night it would not even be memtest 2 stable at stock settings...
    This happened to me also, but when I tried to run at 1.5-2-2-8@250 it worked fine with no memtest errors.This is with the new7.20 bios and in the yellow slots.Died with stock bios not sure which it was, and in the yellow slots.

Hitting 260 @1.5-2-2-8 with 3.6volts and no problems yet

Cyanide Blood
    just so you know...i get a similar cold boot problem on my mobo and utt (my mobo is a S754 DFI UT nf3 250GB)
    AN OPEN MIND, WITH A CLOSED FIST.

GSKILL GH is the best ram out there

No cold boot issue whatso ever

Dumo has the same ram and he was right also about the Cold boot issue.

I will never buy mushkin redlines again
    Tba

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigisDickis
    yeah I know makes you think how accurate they were....don't it.
    wow some respect would be nice for a guy like eva, that only helps out the community....

personally i think that some of those killed ram were not dead, this board like any other board has its things, i have seen the "it killed my ram" with my old bh5 once, i would remove one stick and it would boot, add the second one again and it wouldnt, booted with one went into the bios used the reloaded thing, turned off, added the other stick and good to go.... overall for me its been a delight, 3.4v of the 5v rail 24/7 for as long as the board was realeased on taiwan, its not a perfect board but its as good as they come.
    i personally dont think that this boards kills rams, vis to vis against what dfi has probably sold, and more a product of statistics, and well the way forums are nobody opens up a tread to say "i have been runing it 24/7 etc without problems...."

i wonder if these new memories can really take that much voltage 24/7?maybe its not the board, but since its the only board that can do it stock and its so popular we see so many user with problems? some food for though....no?
    >> Lian-Li PC 7077<<<
    >>Amd 4800x2@2700 storm G4::: Dfi nf4 sli-d<<<
    >>Crucial ballistix 2gb 270x10<<<
    >>ati x1800xt oc@750/800//maze4/ramsinks<<<
    >>seasonic s-12 600w<<<
    posted by:EvilCloudStrife
    "Wow, nice dual 16x! MSI? no thanks"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234