Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airtight Case

Xtreme Member
    That is pretty darn cool..... if I wasn't such a chicken with my hardware (computer has double-duty since I work at home too) I'd do it

Xtreme Member
    Well done Frozendeath, that's pretty darn cool! No pun intended.

I didn't think the temps were going to be that low. The 1GHz OC on your chip looks good. Keep it up!
    * MUSIC PRODUCTION RIG - HP Pavilion ZD8290 Laptop *

-->Intel P4 650 (3.4GHz - 2MB Cache)
    -->1024MB DDR2 533MHz DC
    -->100GB HDD
    -->ATi X600 256MB
    -->17.0" WXGA+ Widescreen Display

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

- Winston Churchill -

Xtreme Member
    Well done indeed and pretty damn cool looking!

Xtreme Member
    Just ordered a Ct-479 and 730 Dothan

Can't wait to see how that fairs in here. With no condensation I do not need to insulate the adapter, which was my main concern before.

Will update once that gets here later this week.
    One of these days I will do a full set of Benches, until then....

CPUZ Verified OC
    P4GD1 | Dothan 770 on CT479 adapter w/ hipro5 mods | 2gb Gskill BHV (coming soon) | BFG 7900GTX | PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI
    Airtight Case and Custom Chiller

Xtreme Member
    Dothan is here, no benches yet, first lets cover how it is mounted...

A little work on the lathe with some filing turns 3/8inch bar stock into these...another view for clarity.

Next they are mounted onto the motherboard using a screw up through the bottom. Right and Left

The whole socket is shown here, it is hard to see but there is a foam shim around the entire core.... you guessed it, it's the stock shim that was stuck to Asus' heatsink why reinvent the wheel when someone already did

Now we sit the block down, and realize that the jumpers and power connector DO hit, so we bend a bit, and add a dab of solder and we get to here

A close up of the mounting

Finally the finished product

Benches coming soon as I get more time to play
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	33309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottclose.JPG 
Views:	493 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	33310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alldone.JPG 
Views:	500 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	33311  

CPUZ Verified OC
    P4GD1 | Dothan 770 on CT479 adapter w/ hipro5 mods | 2gb Gskill BHV (coming soon) | BFG 7900GTX | PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI

I reallyl like the mount you made. quote innovative. Props to you for thinking of the idea.

Xtreme Member
    Nice work man. Your design is very similar to mine.
    I just started building my system after many months of reading and with my work schedule it will be a slow process. I have scrapped the direct die and went with a chilled water setup, but I will have a second unit cooling my box. I think I will leave the Power supply outside of the box and put my raid inside. You had some very good ideas that I was trying to figure out and it looks like you solved a few of my problems. Keep up the good work and look out for posts on my build.
    Audigy2 zs platinum pro
    2 seagate Sata II barracudas
    OCZ 3700eb
    Pioneer dvr-108
    Liteon combo drive
    Fortron 530
    Logitech mx 510
    Logitech elite keyboard
    Klipsch promedia ultra 5.1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    very nicely done =]

K would put something rubber between the adaptor and the mount you made JUST IN CASE!!!

Very nice.......

But as I see, most of these overclocked set-up's all use the DVI > VGA adaptor for the display Since you spend so much money on you PC why not spend a little on your display
    iMac G5
    PPC 970 @ 2.1 Ghz
    1.5 GB DDR2 RAM 533 Mhz
    ATI X600XT 128 MB DDR RAM
    250 GB SATA HDD
    300 GB SATA HDD External
    802.11 b/g built-in
    Bluetooth 2.0 EDR+ built-in
    iSight Camera built-in
    20" 1680*1050 + 17" 1280*1024 LCD's
    OS X 10.4.6

Xtreme Member
    its probably a benching rig...therefore no need to have a fancy monitor or perhaps one of those crt monitors that are capable of true HD resolution

Xtreme Member
    Ok short story here, I run 2 displays: viewsonic 17inch (forget the exact model as I am at work) and a homemade projector (quite a project that was)...

The viewsonic takes dvi and anolog in, homemade projector takes anolog only .... so I have 2 outputs, 1 HAS to be anolog for the projector, the other could be dvi, but the cost of a dvi extension cable to get outside of the airtight box was not worth the cost.....

So we have an adpater which the card came with, and standard vga extension

CPUZ Verified OC

Quote Originally Posted by echow87
    its probably a benching rig...therefore no need to have a fancy monitor or perhaps one of those crt monitors that are capable of true HD resolution
    There are TONS of displays LCD's and CRT's that have HD resloution.......
    HD starts at 1280x720 not 1920x1080
    iMac G5
    PPC 970 @ 2.1 Ghz
    1.5 GB DDR2 RAM 533 Mhz
    250 GB SATA HDD
    300 GB SATA HDD External
    802.11 b/g built-in
    iSight Camera built-in
    OS X 10.4.6

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, but nobody likes 720p. It's smelly. :P
    3500 clawhammer @ 230x11 1.7V
    Foxconn geforce 6150
    x800gto @ stock
    2x512 mismatched sticks in dual channel
    Black case of godliness

Quote Originally Posted by (sin)morpheus
    Yeah, but nobody likes 720p. It's smelly. :P
    I can't help that
    iMac G5
    PPC 970 @ 2.1 Ghz
    1.5 GB DDR2 RAM 533 Mhz
    250 GB SATA HDD
    300 GB SATA HDD External
    802.11 b/g built-in
    iSight Camera built-in
    OS X 10.4.6

Xtreme Recruit
    I know this thread is really old but could you give some details about your chiller. Did you have to braze anything or were u able to use the AC intact? What kind of foam is that/where do you buy it? I just got a window ac to use, and I would love to replicate yours. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsed
    I know this thread is really old but could you give some details about your chiller. Did you have to braze anything or were u able to use the AC intact? What kind of foam is that/where do you buy it? I just got a window ac to use, and I would love to replicate yours. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

same request from me! i have an ac unit also, not looking for too hard of work without normal tools, cuz im only 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Call me Ugly
    This lead to the unfortunate incident regarding the family dog spilling my beer.. rest in peace Lassie.. rest in peace.

Xtreme Member
    The chiller:

I have changed chillers since I first posted this, however the airtight box is the same, and is working flawlessly As for the chiller (I still have it just not using it) it is a 5100 btu AC unit.

No brazing was required, just some bending, glueing and wiring.

The res is made out of 1 inch think foam insulation. It can be bought at Homedepot in 4 x 8 sheets. just look for the big thick pink foam sheets

The res was made as follows:

The foam was cut to size, then silicone sealed together. Once that dried it was tested to be water tight. Once I was sure it held water, I lined the inside of the res with a thick plastic lining. Basically like a clear shower curtain type of plastic. There were no seams in the plastic so that also held water. Once the res was lined with this plastic, it had 2 watertight walls. The plastic was the first, and if the should ever rip, the foam itself would hold the water.

Next the plastic was held to the foam with fiberglass tape. The corners of the foam res were also reinforced with fiberglass tape on the outside. This ensures that the corners will not break apart due to the weight of the water on them.

By leaving enough slack in the plastic lining as mentioned above, it fit the res perfectly when filled with liquid. That is to say, the water pushed the liner against the foam walls, there are no air gaps or bubbles between the plastic and the foam.

At that point only a slight bit of bending was needed to submerge the evap into the foam box.

Now in order to get to the evap, I have to cut the front half of the fan shaft (in my AC the inner fan blowing over the evap was running off the same shaft that the condenser fan was. So I cut the shaft to remove the evap fan, and that allowed the res to sit around the evap.

The lid was then made out of the same foam, and silicone sealed around the top edge of the foam res. Holes were cut in the lid to allow tubing to slide into it. The actual pump sits aside of the chiiler as it is NOT submerged into the res.

Hope that helps you better understand my chiller.

It served me well, but I grew tired of it hanging in my window (could never move my computer, even to another room in my house)

So now I am just finishing up a chiller built from scratch that fits under the air tight container. as seen below:

and:

and:

finally:

I am still tweaking this setup, thus you can tell it is far from finished, but I am very happy with it so far, the same performance as the window AC chiller, only smaller, and built right into the custom case I created

If anyone has more questions I will gladly answer them.

CPUZ Verified OC

Xtreme Recruit
    Awesome,
    thank you soo much for the info! Your new chiller looks great too. I'ma college student so I dont' really have the tools or the room to make one from scratch, so your option looks great. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12