Thread: Athlon64 3800, Neo2 Plat, 1 OC Issue

Smile Athlon64 3800, Neo2 Plat, 1 OC Issue

Hi I'm a long time reader, (especially the official neo2 tips thread) never posted here. I'm a rookie overclocker but that's basically it.

I read this sweet guide on overclocking and it allowed me to get to 2.8 with my 3800 (2.4 stock) venice - you probably already knew it was 2.4 stock hah.
    I was wondering if someone could help with my problem.

My specs are the following:
    Neo2 Platinum
    Antec 430W Truepower (26a 12v)
    Venice 3800
    OCZ 2gb platinum (not great for ocing, but they manage if the divider is dropped)
    other relevantish specs - vid card agp sapphire x1950 pro 512mb
    sb live
    1, sometimes 2 hds
    1 dvd burner which i never use
    XP-90C Heatsink with 78CFM 92mm fan

--

I read the overclocking guide I found (I can post it if necessary) and got the computer to 2.805.
    The way I did this was by eliminating factors like the ram and the cpu factors and the merged the factors together to get a stable overclock.

I can memtest and prime for 15+ hours (thats all i tested for) stable with no errors on this overclock
    The oc was achieved by dropping the memory divider to 166, running stock timings (2.5-3-2-5, 1T). Put up the Vcore to 1.475 and 1.5, both were equally stable and neither got hot. On stock my xp-90c keeps my cpu idle at 30 and full load to never over 50 - usually 49 max. Temperatures didn't change after adding the voltage at all. Maybe 1 degree. It should be noted that I didn't see 1.475 or 1.5v in Core Center which is MSI's cpu utility. It looked almost as if no voltage had been added - I can double check this. Not an issue to me at the moment since I primed for hours and hours as well as memtested all with no errors.

So after letting it go all night and half the day stable I felt the oc was stable. It is stable. If those programs test for stability, then it's stable. Never locked up or anything.

So I went to shut down or restart at one point. Every time (pretty much) I shut down this computer, it doesn't give me a beep. I have to reset via the battery. After a restart I usually have to ease into the OC (the way I originally found the OC.) First I'll drop the divider to 166 and put it to 1T and set the timings, add the voltage, set the FSB to 240x11 - Restart. Gives me a beep, I enter bios again and jack the FSB up to 255x11 and it boots windows like nothing ever happened. /\This is some whack behaviour.

oh yeah i always put my ram to 2.8v cause thats the highest they're allowed to do without warranty failure.. thought i should mention this as well.

Can anyone please give me a clue?! Any ideas about this?

What exactly is your problem? You try to shut down your computer and it doesn't beep? Confused

No the problem is that when I shut down the computer or restart it, the computer won't turn on. Blank screen comes up.

No devices, no bios, nothing.

At the same time though, when I reset the cmos battery and reset all my settings it will start up. It's that even after 15 hours of priming or memtest not finding any errors, if I turn the computer off or restart the computer, it will not boot - when it restarts, I get a blank screen after the shutdown phase.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm i had a similar problem once and the only thing i had that u have is that 430 truepower.. Im using a tagan 480 now however..
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Member
    Could be a bios cold boot issue...
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...inum+cold+boot
    Bruno's Junker
    OPTY 165 @ 2.9G
    ASSROCK 939Dual Sata2
    512mb Xerox Samsung PC2100
    512mb Corsair PC3200 Value Ram
    Ancient HDD, CDRW, DVD and Floppy
    Antique Gateway ATX Tower (cover not included)

oh thanks thats beauty. Im gonna flash a bunch of random modded bioses lol wooohooooooo say goodbye to my board. haha but seriously thanks im gonna do some experiments

for now solved looks like
    i can reboot!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wonder if I can cold boot. wow it cold boots and restarts.

the voltage did it.

neo2 board (after following cold boot and undervolting leads) does undervolt the cpu
    i had to put 5% over 1.4v in bios for it to move at all... even though i had selected above that before. anyway thanks!
    i think it was that the cpu wasnt getting enough voltage or something. i guess we'll see into the future thanks man so long!

good to hear, have fun with the neo2 =] mines still going great!