Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dang, another sample of PS3 graphics power

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades
    that looks so real do we know what game that is from? i just wanna know why computers dont get these graphics cabilities sooner. although pics from unreal tournoment 2k7 look pretty sick i think these from ps3 are better.
    PC graphics usualy catch up soon after and become even better than consoles. Just a matter of time.

There is one thing I hate about console gaming. First pearson shooters...no good. Till the moment you aquire target your ass is full of bullets .

But for racing \ arcade game's it's good.

Speaking of Xbox, you can put Linux on it and turn it into a PC-hybrid. Can't do that with Play station(or is PS3 going to have HDD also?).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CandymanCan
    Look good, but i noticed all the games are all blurred out a little to make it look better, sorta like the Silent hill series of games.
    that "blur" is a filter. ps2 was notorious for it's use of filters to cover up it's crappy graphics. the bouncer (launch game) was a great example of this. yes, this is pre-rendered and not running on working hardware, but jsut so you know, you can probably expect the same filtering on PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by jason32287
    Xbox fanboy??? just looking at the specs of the 2 systems ps3 is going to pwn. 2 HDTV support, Bluetooth controllers, no gay Wi-Fi and a few other things I can't remember right now. Only thing I like about the Xbox 360 is it has a/b/g wireless instead of b/g.
    the two hdtv support is nice, but who has a second hdtv laying around? although i do like the concept, it would be impossible to utilize the second screen fully. for racing games and FPS you need to constantly be paying attention to the screen, and you barely have time to look at an HUD, much less a second screen off to the right (or left). maybe you could use it for an RPG, but whats the point since you can just use the menu screens to get the info you need? i don't think many games will really take advantage of this technology.

the bluetooth controllers are VERY nice. for those that don't konw much about bluetooth, i suggest you go read up on the technology's real capabilities. i have no idea why bluetooth hasn't truly taken off yet but hopefully this will be the start of more widespread bluetooth use.

wireless support: who the hell uses 802.11a anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by jason32287
    Hey all u can go off of right now is what they tell us. And from what I've heard the graphics are going to be about the same for both consoles. The thing thats going to make the difference is the extra's. Such as the tv support, wireless capabilities, etc. and from this the PS3 is going to beat out the Xbox360.
    if this is your argument, then xbox360 will win hands down. the new xbox live capabilities allow you a buddy list which is available in game and on the dashboard so you will always know when your friends are playing and you can contact each other very easily. the PS3 has nothing like this, and the features of the PS3 are all in the hardware and no one is going to use most of them anyhow.

the PS3 promises 1080p on every game, which probably WILL NOT happen since it requires a hell-of-a lot of memory to house those high res textures and the G70, as we all know, is not capable of full on 1080p on every single thing. there will be some games where 1080p won't be possible... but...

[rant]
    the cell chip i think is highly underrated. the capabilities of this chip require a completely different understanding of hardware than most people are accustomed to. a 4GHz chip capable of in-order simultaneous processing the way the cell chip provides is absolutely amazing. i highly suggest looking at the architecture of the chip if you are interested.

Sony has proved that the chip is capable of rendering physically correct explosions and crashes on a large scale in high resolutions. this is currently only possible on very powerful workstations. but with the proper programming, the cell chip is capable of the rendering itself. this is a huge step in architecture design.

sorry, didn't mean to rant about the chip but i felt it worth mentioning. however, the full capabilities of this chip will NOT be seen in most of the PS3 games (probably none of them) since the SDK will not be able to use most of the optimizations that the cell is capable of since you cannot use compilers similar to the ones we use for todays gaming platforms. the G70 is not capable of bringing those physically correct scenes to life in real time and therefore, you won't be able to see them.

that's one advantage the xbox has: there are already very effective compilers for the Power4 and it would be a much more simple step to use those compilers to optimize for a quad core Power4 and you will utilize much more of the potential processing power than you would in a cell chip.
    [/rant]

Quote Originally Posted by trance565
    and everyone needs to stop comparing ps2 to xbox, ps2 is like 3 years older tech than xbox, the fact that it STILL keeps up with xbox proves that was definantly ahead of it's time when it was made.
    anyone who says the ps2 competes with the xbox needs to do more reading. that system is nowhere near the xbox. the emotion engine only has 2megs of uncompressed texture buffers and not nearly the graphics processing power of the old NV chip in the xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeRTM
    Speaking of Xbox, you can put Linux on it and turn it into a PC-hybrid. Can't do that with Play station(or is PS3 going to have HDD also?).
    you probably won't be able to do this on xbox360 as they have removed the capability. the bios is preflashed and is embedded on the chip, so the pads for soldering and flashing the BIOS will not exist, and they have taken other measures (they haven't disclosed) to ensure that modding doesn't happen.
    Last edited by moonlightcheese; 09-07-2005 at 05:35 AM.
    "premature optimization is the root of all evil" - Donald Knuth

<('_'<) <('_'^) (^'_'^) (^'_')> (>'_')> OMG ITS T3h POWER RANGERS!

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeRTM
    Are you sure you can't?

I've gotten a chance to go some talks by Microsoft at my College (carnegie-mellon U) where they brought a x360...

it is pretty cool ... though the way they talk about its security I think I will be very hard to break into and install Linux... Their goal was "to make it so it is cheaper to buy games than to buy and install a mod-chip". of course this was talking about using "backed-up" games but isn't that one of the the first steps in Installing linux?... Plus it seems that they have all their security stuff integrated into Silicon so that it will be harder for people to read the trace signals (like bunny did *or was it rabbit?*)...

So the PS3 may be the easier one to convert to linux if Sony releases a DK like they did before...
    abit AB9 QuadGT
    intel e6420 (currently at 8x410=3280 @ 1.35v)
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2 6400 (4-4-4-12-2T-24)
    eVGA 640MB 8800GTS (testing at 621/976)
    LianLi PC-G70

I am extraordinarily content

Xtreme CCIE
    PS3 Graphics power = ?

I understand additional features like extra players, better online play and whatnot... but lets be honest here, your TV can only handle a pretty low-res picture anyway. I just don't understand why the PS3 and xbox360 seem to keep boasting that they have more graphics power than anything else. I mean, a standard tv only has 480 lines of horizontal resolution.. the best tvs today only 1080 (interlaced). I'm a n00b to console gaming, so I feel like I have to ask.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlightcheese
    you probably won't be able to do this on xbox360 as they have removed the capability. the bios is preflashed and is embedded on the chip, so the pads for soldering and flashing the BIOS will not exist, and they have taken other measures (they haven't disclosed) to ensure that modding doesn't happen.

I think that the Xbox360 will be cracked rather quickly. Considering that a team of modders already has their hands on 3 Xbox360 Dev Kits they should be able to find a way around the measures that Microsoft has put in place. People are resourceful, and if Microsoft were capable of preventing people from finding backdoors in their products dont you think we would have a secure Windows by now?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123