Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cold boot issues on DFI, i need testers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    one of my DIMMs (actually the best Dimm i have) is half dead for more than 5 months

actually the dimm CANNOT post in single channel (one dimm) in Dimm2
    my other dimm boots no problem

so what i do is this (works every single time)

boot with the fully working dimm in dimm2, wait till it posts ok then power off the board
    WITHOUT turning the PSU off i put the second (half dead dimm) on the dimm4 then i power on the board --> everything ok.

if a PSU power-off is involved i get cold boot and i have to do the above proc all over again...

hope it helps somehow
    if this is your first night in xtremesystems,
    you have to overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazykooter
    I cant seem to get the 3.3v trick work so well. Its not nearly as stable as the 5v.
    FYI...you need to keep the 3.3V rail ~0.25V above the Vmem BIOS setting

Peace

Xtreme Member
    Well my utt came in yesterday and I have had good luck with it till the power went out. I couldnt figure out what the heck to do since neither stick would post. I put my tccd in and it posted right up. Came here read some and decided to flash back to 510-2 bios for hellfires. Didnt help. So I put tccd back in and it posted. I then went into the bios and ran the vdimm up to 3.2v which was max since I had just switched over to the 3.3v trick again. Turned off the power without using the PSU switch. Put in the 2 sticks of utt and it booted. I have no idea whats goin on here but it has to be one of the strangest things ever for a motherboard to do. I am also using yellow slots now so I hope I dont have to do this again. DO have a question tho. Why is it both sticks for me when everyone else is reporting one bad stick ? Doesnt make sense.
    -C2D Q6600 currently at 3840 mhz 1.47
    -Swiftech GTX Extreme water block
    -2x2gig G.Skill pc6400 485 fsb 5-5-5-15
    -Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP
    -Phillips Blu-Ray 2x Burner
    -OCZ Power stream 620W
    -HIS HD 4870 Stock cooler No OC yet
    -Vista Ultimatex64-Xp Pro
    XP-Single 3870-14194
    Vistax64-Xfire 3870s-17878
    Vistax64-4870 Stock-17054

Because in this case, you do not have any bad sticks... just ones that won't pass POST @ SPD timings with low Vmem

Peace

Xtreme Member
    Ok since I dont have a bad stick and its a timing issue and what not then when I reset the bios it should be fine. It just happened again when I went to up the vdimm to where it was. It hasnt been a issue till my ciruit breaker kicked today. Now its just messed up. I just tried what I did in post above and it didnt work. I am not on tccd again. I have tried every sudjestion posted here and I still am having issues. Makes me wonder if its a ram issue or a motherboard one. Main thing that gets me is that its putting 2.7v to my ram after the fail which plenty of volts to run this stuff at 200 after a bios reset. Also I am curious why the yellow would be safer then the orange ones. If this is true then its a DFI woops IMO. I might just go back to the 5v side where I was when it was working fine earlier. I am also going to throw these same sticks into my other dfi board and see if they post right away or not.

EDIT: Ok they didnt post in other board either so it means I have 2 bad sticks or something. Damn this pisses me off.
    Last edited by Crazykooter; 06-01-2005 at 08:25 PM.
    -Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP
    -OCZ Power stream 620W
    XP-Single 3870-14194

Ygpm....

Xtreme Member
    Ok just for more info. I couldnt get the utt to work again since last post. So what I did was get pissed off and try a work around if I could. Again the only way I was able to get them to post was with tccd bios to 3.2 then reboot shut down as soon as it beeps. Then put in twinmos and boot. It works. Now I am affraid to reboot to see the fsb back up to where it belongs. There has to be something with this ram that the board doesnt like on boot up. I know voltage is said to be the cause but utt should post even at 2.6v to it at laxed timings. But I guess I could be completly wrong here. I was over reading at DFI forum and it seems more of mess over there then here on rexolving the issue. Waste of time really. Any sudjestions on what I should do here ? I would hate to sell off ram which I know doesnt do what it suppose to with these boards. also is twinmos ch-5 utt ?
    -Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP
    -OCZ Power stream 620W
    XP-Single 3870-14194

Xtreme X.I.P.
    any updates im about to buy this mobo plus some twinmos utt, but seeing all of this has hold me back

Cold boot problems can be described in the following ways:

And can be best seen by first running your PC for 5-10 minutes before doing the below.
    1) Shutdown the PC, remove AC, reinsert AC, and cannot POST. (3 LED's on).
    2) Shutdown the PC and without removing AC, cannot POST. (3 LED's on)

Initially I only had case 1 and eventually ended up having case 2 problems as well.

There are a variety of ways to attempt to get your system to boot.:
    http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10644

OR

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...&postcount=137

Personally one of my sticks causes the boot problem, it also needed high volts to run at the recommended timings, I am now running single stick at 2-2-2-8, 250MHz at 3.3V. With both sticks I needed 3.6V.
    06-18-2005 According to RGone at DFI-Street:
    Cold boot problem? You need to email: DFI Direct

DFI NF4 Ultra (Rev R.AA0) Nvidia Onboard LAN died... , Bios 510-2
    Win 3500+ CBBHD 0450 VPFW, Stock Fan (@2200MHz, FSB: 200x11, @1.4V)
    1 x 512 OCZ VX PC4000 (FSB 200, 1:1, 2-2-2-8 @ 3.1V) One stick died...
    Leadtek 6600GT Extreme 128MB (Stock speeds)
    Audigy 2
    OCZ PowerStream 520W (24 pin) : 12(33A), 5V(40A), 3,3V(28A)
    Maxtor EIDE 6Y120P0, Toshiba 1502 DVD, BenQ DVD-RW DW1620
    1.44 Stiffy
    Disabled Items:
    SATA, Serial port, Onboard audio, Marvel LAN

Xtreme Member
    guys i discovered now that many ppl has the same prob as me anyway here is what i writed in another thread

Guys i am having problems whit the SLi-DR i use my cpu at 11x255=2805 whit ocz 4000 vx at 1.5-2-2-5 3.4v the thing is my board once a week doesn`t boot, the power led keeps flashing, and i get a long bip, the diagnostic leds are all on (3), the only solution is to clear cmos but sometimes i take 2 days to reset this bios, i move the cmos jumper to pin 2 and 3 remove the baterry, remove the power cord and lol 5 hours later it might reset, once i get the bios reseted things get back to normal, at least for a week stable, and the again stops booting, i tried the latest bios oficial on the dfi homepage, any sugestions?!?!

please Help

another thing i managed to boot up the system whit only 1 dimm in the orange slot, the farest to the cpu (but my system is all .. up )

what should i do?
    Core2 extreme QX9650 on Mach II GT
    Evga nforce 780i
    4GB Cellshock Micron D9
    BFG 9800Gx2
    Creative X-Fi elite pro whit Logitech Z5500
    Powered by Enermax 1kw
    Dell 2407WFP
    Lian li v2010
    wc project at full speed

Xtreme Member
    anything??

Xtreme Member
    This lack of info on what we are to do is getting crazy. The only thing I hear to do is buy tccd which I have 2 sets and both of them are jacked now. Poss due to this board. My utt wont post all now neither stick. I am bout to go crazy here. No one seems to have a clue about whats going on here.(esp me)
    -Asus P5K-E Wifi-AP
    -OCZ Power stream 620W
    XP-Single 3870-14194

Xtreme Member
    hey , atleast they know there's a problem, insted of not even acknolage'n it.

they will fix it. then i will be RMAing my VX. till then, i try not to ues my DFI for now.

Peace Nugz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnyboy
    Not sure if this is classed as a cold boot issue but here's what happened to my DFI rig just an hour ago:

My rig was working fine at 255HTT @ 1.47v with the 180 divider (was running prime95 & 3DMark03 loop beforehand & area around VC was getting hot so I decide to add a 12cm fan there,,,

Turned off PC to install a 12cm fan (to help airflow around VC)... Shut down rig, turn off switch on PSU (OCZ 520w) & proceed to install 12cm fan...

Installation done so I then proceed to turn on my rig... Get's to the part where XP is loading & then reboots constantly... WTF...

That's 3 or 4 times that's happened to me, the last few times were because I replaced the CPU & then had to reinstall XP because of this problem where I could not get into XP no matter what I did...

Luckily this time I was able to flash my bios & enter Windows without having to reformat to get anywhere...

It;s damn annoying as I have lost my OC & am back to running my CPU/Ram/VC back at default clocks... Have yet to try to OC it again...

Is this classed as the "cold-boot issue??"

Minh
    this exact sequence happens to me like once a week. the only difference is im not using vx, but g.skill la. shuffling the ram around doesnt help. both sticks will usually boot to at least desktop singly. i dont use the 5v jumper. i have never run the ram higher than the 2.8v setting.
    the other night i ran a 32m super pi @ 318x9, then while i was reading email 15 minutes later it blue screened and would only reboot over and over right at the splash screen. none of my usb devices (keyboard, mouse) have power during boot when this happens, forcing me to use a ps2 keyboard to get into bios. i recently switched from a truecontrol 550 to a 600 powerstream. it happened with both psu's.

3500 rev e xp90/tornado
    ultra d 414-3
    850xt
    600 powerstream
    2x256mb g.skill

I have the cold boot issue. No BSOD problems at least.
    My mems are VX and I am experiencing the same problems with my USB keyboard
    I have an OCZ Powerstream too (the 520w one)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourch
    I have the cold boot issue. No BSOD problems at least.
    My mems are VX and I am experiencing the same problems with my USB keyboard
    I have an OCZ Powerstream too (the 520w one)
    when your keyboard will not work during boot, unplug your power supply from outlet for a couple seconds. seems to reset something and usb works, altho you still wont boot into windows. i have had this problem while running at max, 318x9, 1.68vcore, 2.5/3/3/8, 2.85v vdimm, same problem running stock.this comes and goes. right now i have been running3-4 days no probs 9x310. same problem using 3500 rev e or 3500 winny 90nm. same prob using 256mb g.skill la pc4800 or pqi turbo 512mb stix. same prob evga 6600gt or connect3d x850xt. i have an old stick of corsair pc3500 v1.1 (bh5) i will try if i can find it.

My ing problem is: unplug the psu = cold boot

I will have to cross my fingers every time I have to shut down my system. However, I run my pc for 24/7 and don't use to shut down it. I only reboot once a while and shut down for hardware upgrades, partys,... I can live with the cold boot issue but wish DFI could solve this bug.

Bourch... have you tried unplugging then reconnecting your keyboard? Might work and not have to remove AC... I've had mice before that needed this trick

Cold boot is very fixable in BIOS...

Peace

Xtreme Member
    can i be a tester of new bios, im sick and tired of my computer this way
    btw, any news about this problem?

thanks guys
    Core2 extreme QX9650 on Mach II GT
    Evga nforce 780i
    4GB Cellshock Micron D9
    BFG 9800Gx2
    Creative X-Fi elite pro whit Logitech Z5500