Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New OCZ 3200 EL Plat Rev2 = TCC5?

Xtreme Member

New OCZ 3200 EL Plat Rev2 = TCC5. Bad overclock: post here

After some rumours OCZ can't hold it anymore and finally announced (at XS only yesterday) that the OCZ 3200 EL Platinum Rev2 sticks have TCC5 chips and not TCCD as everyone thought.

You can follow the discussion that took (and still take) place at this thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=63209

In this thread, andyOCZ wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by andyOCZ
    The TCC5 and TCCD are on the exact same die. We have openly discussed announced here on XS and elsewhere that we may use TCC5. We also do not gurantee what chips we use AND I have seen NO complaints over the way any of the TCCX chips are overclocking.
    EDIT: please stop your ocz bashing!
    this isnt going anywhere, ocz or any other company and their reps will only get upset and no longer offer support and help on xs if you bash them like this.you got what you paid for, bashing the manufacturer because his product doesnt overclock as high as you expected it to oc is ridiculous!

-saaya
    Last edited by saaya; 05-23-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Xtreme Member
    rant removed
    You make me laugh. If OCZ is using TCC5s... well it's very nice to hear that. TCC5s do well in overclocking... same as TCCDs. I don't see what the hell is wrong with you... starting to complain about something that isn't worth complaining about.

And FYI... the heatspreaders are there for cooling reasons... as TCCx ICs tend to get REAL HOT when pushed hard. But when you're a global conspiracy addict... yes, the heatspreaders are there just for covering up filthy, non-OCing memory ICs... because memory makers need all your money desperately.

Geez...

EDIT: rant removed
    -saaya
    Last edited by saaya; 05-23-2005 at 10:07 AM.
    Abit: The original is always best.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varzmaster
    And FYI... the heatspreaders are there for cooling reasons... as TCCx ICs tend to get REAL HOT when pushed hard.
    Oh yeah? GSkill's TCCD chips shouldn't get hot, since they sell their sticks naked

You're one of the first to say that TCC5 is as good as TCCD (except OCZ staff, of course). If you think that 250-260 overclock is good, just fine. Then you don't know what real TCCD is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentential
    Thats a buncha crap. I know what TCC5 clocks to. It is NOT tccd by any stretch. Its purely cheaper for you guys to buy and you all assume "hey no one will notice" .

TCC5 doesnt clock worth a damn when you compare it to the geniune article
    If you have TCC5 results show us. We would like to see some good TCC5 results. If you don't...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have some 3200 rev2 TCC5 that run 6-3-3-2@250fsb and 266@6-3-3-2.5 but go no higher at any setting. My ocz el pc4200 D43 will run 271@7-4-4-2.5 at lower voltage on the same system so its not the MB keeping it from going over 266.
    Rampage III Gene I7 950@4.48G--1.485V HR-02 12G G.Skill 1600-1.5V, GTX470-SLI@725core 1750mem, Antec P180 MINI

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varzmaster
    You make me laugh. If OCZ is using TCC5s... well it's very nice to hear that. TCC5s do well in overclocking... same as TCCDs. I don't see what the hell is wrong with you... starting to complain about something that isn't worth complaining about.

And FYI... the heatspreaders are there for cooling reasons... as TCCx ICs tend to get REAL HOT when pushed hard. But when you're a global conspiracy addict... yes, the heatspreaders are there just for covering up filthy, non-OCing memory ICs... because memory makers need all your money desperately.

Geez...

Heat spreaders almost don't do JACK. In most of the cases, because of the design & material used (heat just gathers over there), they only resist futher OC for those last MHz, which you could've probably gotten out of ur sticks.

TCC5 clocks the same as TCCD?! Come on, seriosly...

OCZ.. what a shame, what a shame .

I hope noone else will get fooled by this offer! Cheating customers this way is REALLY :banana::banana::banana::banana:y.

EDIT: please calm down
    -saaya
    Last edited by saaya; 05-23-2005 at 10:12 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    After some rumours OCZ can't hold it anymore and finally announced (at XS only yesterday) that the OCZ 3200 EL Platinum Rev2 sticks have TCC5 chips and not TCCD as everyone thought.

You can follow the discussion that took (and still take) place at this thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=63209
    You're buying.. 3200 spec memory. What do you expect? You're guaranteed 200@ 2-2-2-5, and nothing else with this memory. OCZ has several binning stages, so the OCZ R2 plat that you used to see is different, when there werent any binning stages for TCCD/5. Buck up, soldier. You get what you pay for.

EDIT: rant removed
    -saaya
    Last edited by saaya; 05-23-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viccyran
    You're buying.. 3200 spec memory. What do you expect? You're guaranteed 200@ 2-2-2-5, and nothing else with this memory. OCZ has several binning stages, so the OCZ R2 plat that you used to see is different, when there werent any binning stages for TCCD/5. Buck up, soldier. You get what you pay for.
    Yeah, RIGHT! Did i pay just for PC400 @ 2-2-2-5 RAM about 240 EURO? Or was it that shiny OCZ sticker?

Xtreme Member
    As you know only good TCCD would be capable of 2-2-2-5 @ 200Mhz. These OCZ 3200 EL Platinum Rev2 were a sales success not because of their price, which was quite high in fact, but because it used to have TCCD chips capable of low latencies and thus most probably capable of high clocks. That's why in my local reseller these sticks were more expensive than OCZ PC4800. They used to clock like PC4800 do, but were capable of low latencies, which some (many?) PC4800 sticks weren't capable of.

Of course that if my sticks can do 2-2-2-5@200 (which one of them don't) I have nothing to legally complain about. But OCZ has not played fair. They should have relabeled the TCC5 sticks.

When you say that we have paid what we get, you should be looking to the current price of these sticks. I've paid 280 EUR (almost 350 USD) for these sticks. Thats a lot of money. I can find here in Portugal TCC5 stuff for at least 30% less.

Xtreme Mentor
    Some TCC5's are also used in their PC5000's which do hit 300htt.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Xtreme Mentor
    if everyone would get ram as "you get what you pay for" i would be getting some value 2*512 for 80$ or less ...they do "what you pay for" :=)
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xgman
    Some TCC5's are also used in their PC5000's which do hit 300htt.
    That's not what I can infer from the andyOCZ words

Quote Originally Posted by andyOCZ
    Getting the PC4200 Platinum or PC4800 Platinum will insure you get TCCD. The PC3200 Plat Rev 2 uses the TCC5 as does the PC3700...

Xtreme Member
    amrgb - what do you have against TCC5? If anyone gets a good overclock on them its automatically not stable and/or you "hope that TCC5 can get much higher overclock than that".

Case in point: here

Varzmaster had DDR606 at 2.5-4-3-8 timings. How much higher do you want TCC5 to perform? Its matching what "average" TCCD can do - you want it to be better than TCCD now? Sometimes sticks just don't have as much headroom as others - look at the whole UTT thing, some people are banging out 280mhz 2-2-2-5 at 3.6v, whereas others can't get 5mhz over stock no matter the voltage. I've personally had several sticks of OCZ PC4200's that are REAL TCCD and will not go above 275mhz without ridiculously loose timings. It happens - OCZ would not replace the IC's of a product without doing extensive testing behind it to ensure that their main market, us overclockers, would be satisfied.
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree I bought 5-2-2-2 at 200fsb and it runs faster than that but I wanted TCCD. My 3200plat bh-6 will do 5-2-2-2 at 200fsb for half the price.I just thought the 3200rev2 was better.
    Rampage III Gene I7 950@4.48G--1.485V HR-02 12G G.Skill 1600-1.5V, GTX470-SLI@725core 1750mem, Antec P180 MINI

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterBridge86
    amrgb - what do you have against TCC5? If anyone gets a good overclock on them its automatically not stable and/or you "hope that TCC5 can get much higher overclock than that".

Case in point: here

Varzmaster had DDR606 at 2.5-4-3-8 timings. How much higher do you want TCC5 to perform? Its matching what "average" TCCD can do - you want it to be better than TCCD now? Sometimes sticks just don't have as much headroom as others - look at the whole UTT thing, some people are banging out 280mhz 2-2-2-5 at 3.6v, whereas others can't get 5mhz over stock no matter the voltage. I've personally had several sticks of OCZ PC4200's that are REAL TCCD and will not go above 275mhz without ridiculously loose timings. It happens - OCZ would not replace the IC's of a product without doing extensive testing behind it to ensure that their main market, us overclockers, would be satisfied.
    Apart that's bs. First of all, practically all of the OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2 *TCC5* sticks crap out @ 260 (I'm stuck on 250 EVEN!)
    Corsair may have used other Samsung ICs (like TCC5)... which may be a good thing.
    Keep in mind, that WE are talking about OCZ's PC3200 Platinum Rev.2
    The word 'MAY' means JACK. He doesn't even know what kind of ICs Corsair used. The only way to find out, would be to rip the HS off. Oh and, i kinda don't see much on those screens.

TCC5 clocks A LOT worser, than TCCD. I didn't pay THAT much money for such a rip-off.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterBridge86
    Varzmaster had DDR606 at 2.5-4-3-8 timings. How much higher do you want TCC5 to perform?
    Your right in almost all you have said. But to show a memtest screen with two loops of test#5 without errors at DDR606 and assume that its stable at that speed... come on. Even if it showed me 200 memtest #5 loops I would not take it take as stable (own experince in that matter).

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against TCC5, provided that it really clocks well like TCCD. If I get suficient good TCC5 results, I will be glad to change the thread title and to spread the word among the community.

But from what I know at this moment, TCC5 is not up to par with TCCD and everyone buying Plat Rev2 was thinked they were buying TCCD.

Edit: added the words in italics
    Last edited by amrgb; 05-23-2005 at 06:09 AM.

Xtreme Member
    On a DFI nF4 board people are hitting about 280 @ 2.5-3-3-7 with OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2 *TCCD*, THAT IS quite common. DDR600 with these sticks wasn't such a wonder aswell, some part of OCZ's customers hit that @ 2.5-3-3-7.

BUT NOW, with the lovely TCC5 for 240 EUR, i'm stuck with DDR510 @ 2.5-3-3-7, and that's on a DFI nF4 board. Great
    Last edited by tjj; 05-23-2005 at 06:01 AM.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for responding tastefully amrgb - i understand where your coming from and I'd feel the same as you if we begin to see a lot of poor TCC5 results coming in, OCZ should immediately either announce that they have changed IC's and they may or may not clock as well OR release a new revision so that there will be NO confusion. I've not personally played with any TCC5 sticks but I have had my share of "poor-performing" TCCD...and i know it sucks...but i'm just saying sh*t happens because at this point i haven't seen enough TCC5 results - so lets get them rolling in and we can make a better judgement on the new IC's.
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Addict
    Yea this is a buncha crap. I have overclocked both TCCD and TCC5. TCC5 isnt nearly as good as TCCD in terms of clocking with volts. TCC5 is just a cheaper knock-off to help them get costs down.
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

Heatware: 13-0-0

Xtreme Member
    You're one of the first to say that TCC5 is as good as TCCD (except OCZ staff, of course). If you think that 250-260 overclock is good, just fine. Then you don't know what real TCCD is capable of.
    Well... almost all TCC5 chips I've layed my hands on are capable of doing DDR600 2.5-4-3-x (Memtest stable I mean... not just a SPI or CPU-Z screen).

As for the heatspreaders: if they're well placed on the ICs and the interface material has very low heat resistance... then heatspreaders become quite useful.
    If you have TCC5 results show us. We would like to see some good TCC5 results. If you don't...
    I don't usualy post the same screens over different threads... but I guess I can deal with that now that you asked for results. Check the pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjj
    TCC5 clocks the same as TCCD?!
    Look at the pics!
    Apart that's bs.
    I don't see why you keep posting like this... DDR606 at those timings with TCC5s isn't BS...
    He doesn't even know what kind of ICs Corsair used
    That is because it depends on the lot# as well as the rev. And BTW... I was talking about rev 4.1 (not 4.3)... which indeed uses both TCCD and TCC5. Please read carefully!!
    TCC5 clocks A LOT worser, than TCCD. I didn't pay THAT much money for such a rip-off.
    Again... please look at the pics.
    Your right in almost all you have said. But to show a memtest screen with two loops of test#5 without errors at DDR606 and assume that its stable at that speed... come on. Even if it showed me 200 memtest #5 loops I would take as stable (own experince in that matter).
    No problem... I can provide more screenies... Prime95 and everything... main problem here being the available time.

EDIT: removed some rants
    -saaya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	31002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	31003  
    Last edited by saaya; 05-23-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentential
    Yea this is a buncha crap. I have overclocked both TCCD and TCC5. TCC5 isnt nearly as good as TCCD in terms of clocking with volts. TCC5 is just a cheaper knock-off to help them get costs down.
    Well, most of us knew that with the announcement that TCCD will be gradually phased-out from Samsung's manufacturing plants in favor of nex gen xdr, etc...Many distributors will be look at alternatives. This was to be expected if you've been in the loop imo. For example, Geil has switched to UTT...no one buys PQI/Corsair TCCD, hence their stocks are still sufficient for them not to change over to alternative 2-2-2-5 ram (yet) and Gskill is always out of stock at Newegg (LE, LA, etc) because its binned by particularly and Mushkin as we all know has gone all out 2-2-2 tight timings.

All of this is just the crackle before the pop. In about 6 months time, DDR2 will be fully adopted by AMD as well, and tight timings ram will be all that's left of DDR. As much as we love the memory, once all the new platforms begin to demand ddr2, there won't be much the manufacturers will be able to do than cater to that demand and stop the production of ddr completely in the upcoming years.

As for the tone of this thread, OCZ has been in the XS community far too long for threads like these. If you have a problem with your ram, take it up with them and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out. Memory yields has to do with a lot other factors than just what ram you have and its too basic for me to get into it...and have you given any voltage to the ram yet ?? There are also many memory positively reacts to, including voltages, burn-ins and perhaps looser timings using A64 tweaker.

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    Just for the record, the following quotes are erroneously atributed to myself

He doesn't even know what kind of ICs Corsair used

I would recommend you more careful when using quotes. I don't like that someone I only met two posts ago is already putting words in my mouth.

And I repeat what I've said in the other post: post superpi32M pics at those speeds. nobody at XS will look at those pics as a stability proof. Everyone knows that memtest is not a good indicator of memory stability. Many 24hours memtest stable settings fail even with a Superpi32M run, not mention OCCT or Prime95 (I personally don't like Prime95, but that's another story).

So, when you have decent pics to show us, post them.

Also, I once again request to those who are bad overclocks with Plat Rev2 to show some screens, if possible.

EDIT: calm down!
    -saaya
    Last edited by saaya; 05-23-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry for the mistakes... I'll edit my last post... again, my apologies.

I'll post the SPI pics as soon as I get a new rig up an running.

Xtreme Member
    I'd really like to see a look on someone's face, who has been saving a long time for some high-quality RAM and in the end, it turns out that it was all for nothin. Imagine yourself in our skin, how would you feel about it? 260 DDR520 is the MAX i can get out of this RAM on a DFI nF4, no matter what. I could've bought UTT, for half the price! Why should OCZ, by fooling customers, get their money THIS easy? 'Don't whine' u say, yeah.. From the other side it always seems 'no big deal'..
    I've spent around 240 EUR for a bunch of OCZ's TCC5 crap.. The performance (+oc potential) for this money is just HILARIOUS!

Xtreme Mentor
    tjj : RMA it...say it's incompatible....get some TWINMOS BH-5 -> 140€...or so.

WARNED - conrad.maranan
    Last edited by conrad.maranan; 05-23-2005 at 08:18 AM.
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

SSD faster than your HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by TEDY
    tjj : RMA it...say it's incompatible....

@Tjj
    What bios are you running on the DFI?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast