Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The San Diego OC DISCUSSION Thread

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    Yeah, and that extra cache makes a big dif. In my X800XL competition, the guy above me is packing a 3113mHz Winny, running at like 330HTT, my little old SD at 2880 spanks it in Lobby and nearly matches it in Car Hi...

In fact, I even get a feeling that it is faster clock for clock than an FX55.

C
    oooooh sounds nice.. OPB's 4000+ Sandy is mine soon
    ---

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsus_Freak
    Wow, gotta love cache. I would kill to see a 2 meg AMD64. How is the pricing compaired to the vince?
    YAY Newb question two is... how many fingers...do i have? ...tick tock...tick tock...tick tock....tick tock... !!BUZZZZZ!!!...The Answer is 15 John, Yeah !!!...I'm sorry, but the real answer is 6 !!!!..

*Crowd goes AWWWWWW*

Anyhoo, srry lol, go anywhere...no seriously, just go, go NOW !!!...ahem..i mean go to monarch computer and type in 3700+, 4000+, 3500+, 3200+, etc.

If you find a "Rev E" processor with 512k its Venice, if you find a Rev E with 1MB Cache, its a San Diego. San Diego comes in two flavours: 3700+ and 4000+, eclipsing the previous 4000+ ClawHammer 1MB, and Venice comes in 3000+, 3200+, 3500+ and 3800+ all eclipsing their Winchester and Newcastle 939 counterparts.

Perkam

Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    YAY Newb question two is... how many fingers...do i have? ...tick tock...tick tock...tick tock....tick tock... !!BUZZZZZ!!!...The Answer is 15 John, Yeah !!!...I'm sorry, but the real answer is 6 !!!!..

*Crowd goes AWWWWWW*

Anyhoo, srry lol, go anywhere...no seriously, just go, go NOW !!!...ahem..i mean go to monarch computer and type in 3700+, 4000+, 3500+, 3200+, etc.

If you find a "Rev E" processor with 512k its Venice, if you find a Rev E with 1MB Cache, its a San Diego. San Diego comes in two flavours: 3700+ and 4000+, eclipsing the previous 4000+ ClawHammer 1MB, and Venice comes in 3000+, 3200+, 3500+ and 3800+ all eclipsing their Winchester and Newcastle 939 counterparts.

Perkam
    hahahah sorry to anoy you. Been out of the loop for awhile...thought there were not yet releced in the states yet. Thanks

Live Long And Overclock
    hahahah sorry to anoy you. Been out of the loop for awhile...thought there were not yet releced in the states yet. Thanks
    My bad

The 3700+ Retail right now $344 at Monarch and the 4000+ SD is $540. The Venice 3000+ Retail is $164, 3200+ is $209, 3500+ is $287 and the 3800+ is $389. (all retail prices, oem are like $10 lower)

Your best bet for San Diego is the 3700+ hands down. The Venice choice is a tad more complicated. The 3200+ as its clocking better than some 3500+s, and the 3800+ is a tad much, especially for onl 512k, so the 3200+ is best, what you save, I'd buy some nice VX with and use a divider and take it to 2.8ghz at 2-2-2. (only cos the 3500+s are not doing so great)

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 05-03-2005 at 12:44 PM.

ya, pretty steep for that +4000 part...and with dual core coming in a couple of months and M2 sockets coming out next year, I think I might have to pass on the +4000. To bad, I wanted to make this clawhammer a folding machine.

Heard good things about puting in mis-mached memory with the new mem controler, how are you guys making out with your ram configurations?

Live Long And Overclock
    ya, pretty steep for that +4000 part...and with dual core coming in a couple of months and M2 sockets coming out next year, I think I might have to pass on the +4000. To bad, I wanted to make this clawhammer a folding machine.

Heard good things about puting in mis-mached memory with the new mem controler, how are you guys making out with your ram configurations?
    Gsus Freak, this isnt a free for all, pls post specific questions in their respective forums, this is for the San Diego parts only

Perkam

Ok, I will be more spicific. Has anyone tried to put 4x512 meg sticks in the SD. I know the venice had problems like all the rest of AMD64 chips.

I need 2 gigs for the programs that I run, might get the +4000 cause I'm horible at waiting.

I need to use 4x512 double sided/ 2 bank ram. Hopefully that will work as a specific question

Edit: And by work, I mean boot and work in t1 settings.
    Last edited by Gsus_Freak; 05-03-2005 at 12:57 PM.

how is the great sandiego on overclock??? 3700+, 4000+ or another??
    Intel e6600, Asus Commando, 2*1gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer pc6400, BFG 7800gtx 256mb, Ocz Powerstream 520w.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, I will be more spicific. Has anyone tried to put 4x512 meg sticks in the SD. I know the venice had problems like all the rest of AMD64 chips.

I need 2 gigs for the programs that I run, might get the +4000 cause I'm horible at waiting.

I need to use 4x512 double sided/ 2 bank ram. Hopefully that will work as a specific question

Edit: And by work, I mean boot and work in t1 settings.
    Thats what I want to know as well, and how does it oc with all four dims occupied?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wait so how do you get the times in Super Pi to have decimals? I get full seconds, or is my computer just too slow... =/

Quote Originally Posted by dmo580
    Wait so how do you get the times in Super Pi to have decimals? I get full seconds, or is my computer just too slow... =/
    Super Pi Mod v1.4
    A64 3700+ San Diego
    DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
    GSkill Extreme Series pc4000 HZ 2x1GB
    Leadtek 7800GT
    Audigy2 ZS
    WD 36.7 Raptor HD, Hitachi 160GB SATA HD
    Fortron BlueStorm 500 PSU
    Swiftech MCW6000 water block
    Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ monitor
    Coolermater Stacker Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From what i heard the fixes in the memory controller allowed 1t at DDr400 speeds with single sided ram but only 333 with 2 sided.

Getting my 3700 san diego tommorow

Live Long And Overclock
    Mikestore

MsB

dmo580

JonEapples

sideeffect
    Oh My !!!!!!! you guys are really coming out of the WoodWork Arent you lol

FYI There is a thread strictly for San Diego overclockers here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=59406 ...to view their overclocking results, however you may only post there if you have actual resutls, all other inquiries have to be posted here.

As for four dimms, yes it is true that it depends on the mem controller, but at 2GBs, it begins to depend on the memory as well. UTT prolly wont do 2-2-2 even at stock DDR400 timings afaik...but you might be able to overclock to DDR400 or a tad more, but dont expect DDR250, even at 5v lol with four dimms. TCCD should be the way to go for Four Dimms, it should boot at cas 2.5 for DDR400 up to DDR 500 if you're lucky (guess). I dont have a lot of experience with AMD + Four Dimms but I do not that AMD's mem controllers do allow for tighter timings and higher fsb at those timings compared to Intel. However, anyone who wants to put 2gb of memory into their system shouldnt expect to see high overclocks in the first place.

Oh and btw, to all those who just joined...

WELCOME TO XS !!!!!!!

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 05-03-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey. I jumped to a laptop after my Athlon 1100. For that reason I'm really behind. All my understanding comes from reading stuff. So I'm assuming when I build my system in the summer, I will be ready if I just keep reading these threads =P

Well as newb as I may be here, I have been all over Anandtech and Futuremark for years, so I guess it was time to head here for better overclockers =)
    Last edited by ImportantAwareness89; 05-03-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    Oh My !!!!!!! you guys are really coming out of the WoodWork Arent you lol

FYI There is a thread strictly for San Diego overclockers here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=59406 ...to view their overclocking results, however you may only post there if you have actual resutls, all other inquiries have to be posted here.

As for four dimms, yes it is true that it depends on the mem controller, but at 2GBs, it begins to depend on the memory as well. UTT prolly wont do 2-2-2 even at stock DDR400 timings afaik...but you might be able to overclock to DDR400 or a tad more, but dont expect DDR250, even at 5v lol with four dimms. TCCD should be the way to go for Four Dimms, it should boot at cas 2.5 for DDR400 up to DDR 500 if you're lucky (guess). I dont have a lot of experience with AMD + Four Dimms but I do not that AMD's mem controllers do allow for tighter timings and higher fsb at those timings compared to Intel. However, anyone who wants to put 2gb of memory into their system shouldnt expect to see high overclocks in the first place.

Oh and btw, to all those who just joined...

WELCOME TO XS !!!!!!!

Perkam
    Well thats just it, its still conjectjure and I asked this question when they were testing the first venice but I stilll haven't seen anyone really try it with true tested results. I know about the oc thread thats why I posted here.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo580
    Hey. I jumped to a laptop after my Athlon 1100. For that reason I'm really behind. All my understanding comes from reading stuff. So I'm assuming when I build my system in the summer, I will be ready if I just keep reading these threads =P
    Nice to know...In that case, the Search tool is your friend though..Anything you need it will find for you. And when it gives you results, you can search in side the thread as well cos there's a "Search" button at the first page of each thread as well

Perkam

So, what's a safe temp for revE chip?

Hey,
    I found that running revE chip to be hotter than Winchester. My previous winchester 3000+ at 1.65v load temp 50C but with SD 3700+ 1.63v load temp jumps to 58C. This is on air (XP90+tornado). Is it just me or the heatsink is not properly seated?

Thanks for sharing.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dexth77
    Hey,
    I found that running revE chip to be hotter than Winchester. My previous winchester 3000+ at 1.65v load temp 50C but with SD 3700+ 1.63v load temp jumps to 58C. This is on air (XP90+tornado). Is it just me or the heatsink is not properly seated?

Thanks for sharing.
    Most likely not well seated, try again, if you're getting consistant results, your IHS might not be very well 'poxyd on. If that's the case, sigh leave it be or it'll have to go under the knife.

Xtreme Addict
    Argh why does no one post 32M SuperPI screenshots, all you need to run a 1M is 25 seconds of no bsod.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Quote Originally Posted by viccyran
    Most likely not well seated, try again, if you're getting consistant results, your IHS might not be very well 'poxyd on. If that's the case, sigh leave it be or it'll have to go under the knife.
    Also, the cure period for whatever TIM may not have been completed, but this will only be a percentage of your descrepency. Rev E processors do run a bit warmer then the winchesters, But not as hot as the 130nm varients.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko
    Argh why does no one post 32M SuperPI screenshots, all you need to run a 1M is 25 seconds of no bsod.
    Some people just don't have the patience to run a 30-minute benchmark. I always make it a point to run 32M and kill the time by washing dishes, taking a shower, or just watching TV for a little while.

There's one 32M run to be found in the OC thread.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have my new sandiego 3700 and it will prime at 2650 but will superpi up to 2850 so i agree with that.
    i got a problem tho has anyone gotten a big memory performance loss especially in memtest i lost 300 mb/s with the diego????? why is that. im using all the exact same settings cpu speed mem speed and timings i loose over 300 mb/s its like i have 2t timing but i dont its 1t. also everest shows a big bandwidth loss i got 7700 read now i get about 5600 read??? why

btw my old cpu is a xp3000 and my mobo is dfi of course i tried a few bios and they have the same results of loss of bandwidth
    ________
    CHILD NEXIUM
    Last edited by brandinb; 05-03-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousMike
    Also, the cure period for whatever TIM may not have been completed, but this will only be a percentage of your descrepency. Rev E processors do run a bit warmer then the winchesters, But not as hot as the 130nm varients.
    What's TIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko
    32m SuperPI at 2805mhz 26min 29sec

Xtreme Member
    Monarch, monarch. More than a week and no sign of my SD 3700, the new ETA is now May 19, though "the stock is arriving all tha time." How could that be?

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast