Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Torrent Download Tool

Xtreme Member
    Yabc here. Speeds are average. But its bittornado with more control of each torrent. It seems though that i am always uploading faster than i download and that bothers me. I wish they could be symmetric.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89
    I tried ABC and now I'm addicted Azeurus was not only a memory hog but it was also an internet hog, if I was downloading even one torrent no one else in my family could use the internet, but now with ABC I can download 10 torrents and the internet still works fine, plus the torrents even download faster!

You probably had no upload cap before. ABC might have configured it for you.

If you really like ABC that much, though, you should make the jump to BitComet. It's a lot better than ABC.

Xtreme Member
    I use Azeurus and boxtorrents.

Edit: I don't know where people got the idea that azeurus is a hog:

I have circled some apps with large amounts of ram in use to show that things run fine even with all of this. I crank out about 150cands/day in d2ol and am able to play guild wars while running all of these with only 1gb of RAM.

D2OL uses about 65mb for me, so this should give you a good idea of how much it uses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torrent2.jpg 
Views:	3835 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	31754  
    Last edited by angrysquirrel; 06-01-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disposibleteen
    holy crap, i now have 4 people with quotes of mine in their sigs, what is going on here?

Xtreme Member
    abc client movie sized files usually finish in aobut 4-6 hours, record is 27minx 850 gig divx.

but i guess one of hte top ten rules of the int0rw3b is clear when ti states not to count your torrents before they download
    Last edited by the; 06-01-2005 at 08:04 AM.
    i has a aych dee thirtee ate sevin-d.
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

Yupp, ABC it is.
    [E7200]:[ASUS P5Q Deluxe]:[G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 4GBPQ]:[ASUS 5870]:[CoolerMaster 840]:[Corsair HX750]

Xtreme News Addict
    BitComet, very good, very stable.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysquirrel
    I don't know where people got the idea that azeurus is a hog:
    Well, you do realize that javaw.exe is the Java Runtime Enviornment that Azureus uses to execute... right?

That's why people say it's a hog.

Although, I think the usage on your JRE is about 65% attributed to Azureus and the other 35% is attributed to D2oL, which consequently uses JRE too.

As for all of you ABC users... I really don't see the appeal... other than the remote operation feature. You should really try BitComet, though. It has a feature that pulls peer lists from other peers, so that you always have a sufficient amount of people to download the file from.

Azureus works fine for me, i leave it running all the time cept when im gaming online (900 ping is not a good thing)

Xtreme DČOL Cruncher
    Someone mentioned Peerguardian2 earlier... I wouldn't recommend that at all. I tried using it, ended up with it using 70-80% of the CPU when it had lots of connections.

Oh, and I also use Azureus, and Piratebay for finding torrents.

Xtreme Member
    That's true for PeerGuardian Lite and PeerGuardian... but the latest version of PeerGuardian 2 is actually very resource consciencious. I haven't seen it use processor resources unless it's updating the blocklists, and it only uses 2MB of ram.

You can even reduce resource usage by having it parse the addresses by range and have it omit the name lookup.

Xtreme Member
    Abc's newest version has a memory leak, over 400k mem usage after being left on over night. So untill that is resolved in there next build back to Azureus I go.

Xtreme Member
    Even with a memory leak, ABC's footprint is a lot smaller than Azureus'.

You might want to give BitComet a shot.

Xtreme Member
    Exeeem

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teqguy
    Even with a memory leak, ABC's footprint is a lot smaller than Azureus'.

You might want to give BitComet a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by happydude

memory leak, over 400k mem usage
    , not quite

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfox74
    Exeeem

I guess you missed what I said on the previous page:

Quote Originally Posted by teqguy
    I hate to be a downer, but whatever you do, DO NOT USE EXEEM.

Traces of Cydoor and other spyware have been found buried in the installation. There's a "lite" version that cleans it up, but it's rarely updated... so I wouldn't even bother with it.

Furthermore, the Exeem protocol is not entirely decentrallized like the developer said it would be. It still requires a central server to connect to other peers and search for downloads, which can be monitored more easily than a regular tracker.

Originally Posted by happydude

memory leak, over 400k mem usage

, not quite
    I think you have your units of measure a little mixed up. The unit "k" in reference to memory is always construed as kilobytes, which is how I read it.

I'm assuming you meant 400MB(400k or ~400,000 kilobytes), in which case I find that kinda hard to believe to be a natural occurrance.

The only other possible way(besides a virus) that it could bloat internally like that is if the files you're downloading and hashing are all over 2GB... and you would have to be downloading a few of them.

In this case, I would advise you to schedule the downloads so that only one is active at a time. Not only will this potentially fix the resource usage, but it'll improve download speed, because bandwidth isn't allocated among downloads.

However, as I said before, ABC pales in comparison to BitComet... so you should just use that instead.

and what for linux ?

Xtreme Member
    Sorry by k i ment thousand, yes 400mb's of ram usage. With about 140gbs of stuff being downloaded.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingGuru
    and what for linux ?
    I'm using Azeurus in suse 9.3 and ubuntu 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by x714n
    bitcomet
    I bekieve that is the best

Xtreme Gentoo User
    KingGuru, BitTornado. It's written in Python which is pretty fast. There's absolutely millions of configuration options too. Azeurus sucks, mainly because it uses Java (which sucks), and it tries to mimic the interface of just about every p2p client out there. BitTornado is nice and compact.

yall shoudl try bitlord

yall shoudl try bitlord its better than anyting i suggest you upload to your max so you can help people out i'm currently uploading my files at 150 KB/s yea thats KB not Kb

Xtreme Recruit
    Azeureus here.

Opteron 144 CAB2E 0546 UPMW . XP-120 HS . Panaflo 120mm L1A . DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D . 2 GB (2x1GB) OCZ EL PC4000 XTC @ 3-4-3-8
    Connect3D x850 xt pe . Dell 1901FP . Seasonic S12 600W . Antec SX1040B

A64 3000+ Venice 0521BPKW . XP-120 HS . Panaflo 120mm L1A . DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D . 1 GB (2x512) OCZ PC3700EB @ 3-3-2-8
    Connect3D x850 xt pe . Dell 1901FP . Seasonic S12 600W . Antec SX1040B

my heatware: 75-0-0

azureus here.

Xtreme Member
    BitLord, an optimized BitTornado.

Xtreme Member
    i used to use azureus but got fed up with it hogging resources. tried bitcomet and bit tornado but they always seemed to download real slow and i tested it out by trying the same torrent on all 3 clients and azureus always downloaded at twice the speed of the other 2 ( they never seemed to go above 25-30 kb\s) trying bitlord now.. looks exactly the same as bitcomet ( both c++ ) maybe a modded version of it i dont care to find out really and its getting ok speeds. just glad i only use it to find old stuff which isnt on newsgroups or it would drive me mad dl at them speeds all the time
    DFI ULTRA-D
    opteron 146 @ 3.0g 1.52v watercooled
    X1800 XT 512MB 700/800

03 13105 01 34118

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast