Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Headphone FAQ

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Does the quality of the components used on the headphone amp have any effects on the sound quality ?
    Yes, but to how much of a degree is arguable as you will see if you go to a place like head-fi.

Mainly, amps are for overcoming high impedance(resistance) of drivers or impedance curves for those drivers to reduce distortion. Since every part of a chain adds distortion, you'd look for one with lower distortion.

But the best deals on the market right by a long shot are either the forte or the essensce-stx. Headphone amps are usually designed and manufacter for a niche market and are by nature very expensive. The forte and essence-stx are manufactured in huge quantities at mass production, and the sound card and amp are integral.
    Hardware
    • Core i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz (180x20)
    • Scythe Zipang 2
    • 4x2Gb DDR3 (1080@7-7-7-16, 1.65v)
    • Gigabyte P55-UD2
    • EVGA GTX 260, Corsair 550VX, mATX case

Audio/Video
    • Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD
    • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      1. Denon AH-D2000
      2. Sony STR-DE197 -> Polk Audio M10

Desktop Picture

Xtreme Addict
    I see, thanks for the info.. I wish the Pod on the Z-5500 had some for of amplification but then again boost 11 or 22 works hahaha

Xtreme Cruncher
    How good is the ATH-AD700? I've heard it's a _very_ good pair of headphones for the money. Would they have a good performance/price ratio?

I like these headphones a lot. Very comfortable. Great quality sound, very clear. Haven't tried them in games, but i heard oppinions that they have better possitioning than HD555.

I think, You will have to play with equalizer if you listen to heavy bass music, but I would like to hear some other oppinions on that. Maybe it's just me. With classic it's just stunning.

I have now DFI UT (not DK) and Berstein sound module.

I bought mine from US and I paid better price than EU retailers had.

Quote Originally Posted by Musho View Post
    How good is the ATH-AD700? I've heard it's a _very_
    good pair of headphones for the money. Would they have a good performance/price ratio?
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 bios 08/09/10 * i7 920 d0 batch 3847A 4Ghz@1v * Kingstone HyperX 3x2GB 1866Mhz * 26" Hazro HZ26WSi * ATI FirePRO 3D V4800 * Corsair TX650W * WD Caviar Black 1TB * LG BH08LS20 * MS Sidewinder X8/X6 * Audio Technica ATH-AD700 * Slackware 13.64/windows 7.x64. WC: Enzotech Sapphire,Swiftech MCW-30,Thermochill PA120.3,XSPC Dual Res.Pump. FOTO * Dell Precision M4400

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Musho View Post
    How good is the ATH-AD700? I've heard it's a _very_ good pair of headphones for the money. Would they have a good performance/price ratio?
    IMHO, just for info sake, they're worth their cost and make GREAT starter cans.

Quote Originally Posted by KoHaN69
    Great thread.
    I'm really happy with my sennheiser HD-570 (but would like the HD-590 for their better bass)

I can't wear any other headphones at all, even sennheiser hd-555 or 600s series, or any other brand.

Only the sennheiser HD-570 and HD-590 have the physical shape and mold that never ever tire me. I forget I have these on after a few minutes of wearing them..

Just throwing it out there, for those who are reluctant to wear headphones due to discomfort.
    I liked the Philips SB890 better than the 570's and thought they sounded about like the Senn 595's. I like the DT770 Pro's better than the Senn 595. But we know no two ears perceive sounds the same. I totally respect some one not getting similar results. In fact, if the P-SB 890's weren't so frackin heavy, I wouldn't have bought the DT770. SB890's are best for Movies and Games sound wise but suck because they are heavy as he1l.

All Can Amps do is make you loose your hearing sooner LOL!
    Last edited by Donnie27; 07-22-2010 at 04:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Banned
    I just stumbled upon this ANCIENT thread, wow so helpful!

Any chance of an update?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by amd4me View Post
    I just stumbled upon this ANCIENT thread, wow so helpful!

Any chance of an update?
    I got to listen to something that costs just under 2K for the the Tiny AMP and Cans. These connected to a sound card that wasn't the X-Fi but said to be better (than X-Fi) for music.

The reason I made the to each his or her own statement is because even as it sounded great, there's no way in He1L I'd pay one third the amount the person spent.

He and two others heard my not as good system. All 4 of us agreed the expensive system sounded better. Only he thought the extra costs was justified and the other two didn't. He was confused when we agreed with him I simply said if it pleased you (him) that's all that really matters. You buy your $hit for you and whatever anyone else thinks is really moot. The problem only pops up when others expect you to have the same sound perception as they do.

Rightmark audio benchmark software has made liars out of a bunch of Fans, bashers and etc..................
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Bump

Mates which are the proper channel settings for playing using headphones? I set 8 channels for games, 6 for movies since this is what mpc filter says and 2 ofc for music.

Does this seem right?
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Erklat View Post
    Bump

Mates which are the proper channel settings for playing using headphones? I set 8 channels for games, 6 for movies since this is what mpc filter says and 2 ofc for music.

Does this seem right?
    play the audio in the number of channels it has available...
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Erklat View Post
    Bump

Does this seem right?
    Unless it is DVD Audio or DTS Audio for Music..... always use Stereo for Headphones.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    I just got a little fed up with Logitech headsets. I had a Logitech G330 and a H760, both neckband headsets and with both headsets the neckband broke inside their warranty period (even though i take serious care with all of my equipment).
    So i was wondering where i should go for a new neckband headset? The headset will be solely used for gaming, since i own a Sennheiser HD650 and a RSA Predator for music (as well as a pair of Dynaudio BM12A's) but still i'd like to get something that will last me.
    Any suggestions?
    Da_maniaC's Rig (Eclipse) | Client / Server port for DooM!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345