Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Headphone FAQ

Xtreme Addict
    I think there would be a good niche market for a soundcard with a tube pre-amp. I guess you could also build a small tube pre-amp and output your sound to that.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    xfi? u mean new soundblaster garbage... sigh.. they realy truely are garbage.
    So you've used one?

Xtreme Member
    Good Read

Xtreme Cruncher
    If anyone was thinking of making their own tube amp, drop me a PM, I have a bunch of tubes still in original boxes.

|Rig: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ Windsor|6gb DDR2 800|Dual 250gb Western Digital RAID0|8600GT|

(12:16:17 AM) OC3D NoL: NOL EAT ANNOYING NOOBIE
    (12:16:19 AM) OC3D NoL: RAWRRRR

XS_THE_MACHINE
    How ergonomical are these headphones? I was mainly thinking of the Sennheiser HD-650. High-fidelity is always nice, but what's the point of good headphones if you can't use them? While I'm looking for good sound, I want to be sure I can use them 24/7 (well nearly...) without getting soar ears. Ergonomically they should be excellent in order for me to see the point.

Anyone got any experiences with these or some other headphones? Can you wear them for several days straigh (LAN parties) without them getting on your mind and starting to be too heavy/bothersome/annoying/whatever?

Currently I'm on a Plantronics DSP-500 Headset, which ergonomically is quite alright. But they sport no noise-isolation whatsoever, and that's getting on my nerves too. Don't know how ergonomical noise-isolated headphones are though?

Thanks ~ Kris
    Last edited by krille; 04-23-2006 at 05:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Member
    Get ATH A900, then. They are the most comfortable of the bunch, and are also quite isolating. It is my current headphone
    BTW I thought people on XS are xtremely sexy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like my Bose headphones.
    i7
    Dell 30" 2560x1600

Xtreme Enthusiast
    does anyone thats a sound guru have a pair of AKG K44's?

cus i have a pair of them and for 20 bucks they seem freakishly good.... just wanting another opinion

Xtreme Recruit
    Hmm..

Im interested in building a new amp ive done a pimeta and own a cmoy. Im looking for something better I was on head-fi.org briefly and a few people suggested a Millet Hybrid is that the same thing as M^3? or is the M^3 known as the M3 here http://www.headwize.com/ubb/showpage...num=3&tid=6339

The headphones ill be using will be 1 of the 3 if not 2 of the 3 as follows.

SA-5000, HD650/595

Basically im looking for a amp in the 200-300$ price range considering getting 1 built but id prefer to try DIY and have someone fix it if I dork it than not try at all. What do you suggest?

Xtreme Member
    Good find I got here. THANKS...

Could this list still be considered up to date? Looking to buy a pair.

Xtreme Recruit
    id say its pretty much up to date.

prehaps post what your about to buy and people will tell your there experiance with simular setups.

Xtreme Member
    I bought the Senny HD280 Pro and they sound great...

I'm wondering how the AT500 sound like though...

btw I personally didn't think the X-Fi sounded all that great. At least not for the price. (had the plat) That's why I dont have it in my system.
    Last edited by FLMJIGGY; 11-19-2006 at 06:46 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have the Sennheiser HD515s, and before that I had a set of old HD414SLs, they are very impressive headphones, well built, excellent sound quality ,if a little "laid back" as mentioned, I can defonatly recomend the HD515s as they are only about £60, and for the money they are excellent.

Ruan

Crunching:
    Main Rig: Dual Opty 2536s, SM H8DA8-2, 6gb DDR2 ECC
    Pentium Dual Core E2180 2.0GHz, 2GB PC5400.
    HTPC - Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 1.6, 1GB DDR2, Philips HDTV
    Pentium 4 3.0E @ 3.8GHz, 1GB Ballistix PC4000
    1.0GHz Pentium !!! 384MB PC133
    Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB 667MHz.
    Pentium D820, 2GB DDR2, 1TB Hard Drive.

I'm not like you - I won't Overclock the toaster until it can cook a whole Turkey in 15 Seconds

Ebay Hater
    Sony MDR-V700 is where my money's at
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

I use HD 650's with the foam "veil" removed and leggs panty hose in their place. It makes for a clearer, less muffled sound.
    3° Master Mason - PHA F&AM

Xtreme Member
    Any opinions on the Skullcandy line of headgear? I've been on the fence about ordering them, from what I understand the Skullcrushers are where it's at..

Abit IP35 Pro
    Tuniq Tower
    Q6600 G0 @ 3600mhz
    Ballistix Tracer 6400
    X1900xt 512
    Silverstone 650 Zeus

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, those A900 headphones really do look and sound awesome. I'll probably pick up one soon.
    Last edited by ramenchef; 03-03-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Good guide
    [ BenQ G2400WD 24" Monitor]
    [ 3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 ]
    [ Corsair 850HX 850 watt PSU ]
    [ Auzentech Prelude ]
    [ beyerdynamic MMX300]
    [ Logitech G15, G9 , G7, MX518]
    [ Saitek X52 ]
    [ 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB ]
    [ 1 x WD 150GB Raptor ]
    [ 1 x Seagate 500GB 7200.11(32mb) ]
    [ Windows 7 64-bit]

Water Cooling Setup

U2-UFO Black Powder Coat - 3 Big Window
    Swiftech MCP-655 aka Laing D5 Vario w/ EK Top
    Thermochill PA 120.3
    Swiftech XT CPU Block
    EK Classified Full NB/SB Block
    EK-MultiOption 4 Port RES 150 Rev. 2
    NZXT Fan Controller + Sunbeam Multi Fan Port
    7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Primochill Black Tubing
    7 x Yate Loons-D12SM ‘s
    Bitspower Compression barbs

Xtreme Cruncher
    Should put some of the Ultimate Ears offerings up there

I have a pair of UE SuperFi 5Pro and I absolutely love them

I am Xtreme
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&postcount=11

Now it would be up to him to repost it but his and another post there on Cans are Excellent!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Yes, I found that post to be very helpful
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Hey guys, I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphones, they seem like very good headphones, inbetween the AT-500 and AT-900 sets, any opinions??

Xtreme Mentor
    Here is my post from the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    You won't see any benefits using an amplifier or receiver with the A900 (40ohm) and AD900 (35ohm). The Koss KC75's (60ohm) would benefit more from an amp. Both cans are easily driven and would work fantastic out of the Prelude or any other X-Fi. Normal X-Fi cards will benefit greatly with upgraded op amps and a better power filter capacitor. The Prelude also has a more powerful output section than the regular X-Fi's so will drive headphones even more efficiently. The Prelude has some of the best DAC's and op amps in the industry and is comparable to using audio gear worth thousands of dollars. I'm not kidding, go over to head-fi.org and you'll see what I am talking about. The same goes for regular X-Fi's with upgraded op amps (op amps are a top component when talking about sound and the stock X-Fi op amps should burn in hell) but the Prelude is that much better. The DAC's found in regular X-Fi's are actually quite good quality and that is why the X-Fi with modded op amps is popular around the audiophile world.

The ability to digitally playback files which have been ripped in lossless format is like having a $$$$ CD player. Throw on top of that a quality external DAC which costs $$$$ to match the Prelude and your looking at a few paychecks. PC as source for audio is unmatched for price/performance and flexibility.

ANYWAYS back to the headphones. Because of the open air design of the AD900 it offers some noticeable gains in sound quality opposed to the closed design of the A900. I'll try to explain my best between the two.

Bass - This is the one area where the A900 is superior in terms of overall amount of bass. It will be more like the subwoofer in your car that goes really low. It will have more of an effect of covering your head in bass opposed to the AD900. The AD900 has less overall bass but what is there is more defined, impactful and tight. However this is not to say it is lean on bass. It has a neutral bass compared to all headphones so would run somewhere in the middle. It all depends on the type of bass you want. If you want real thumping bass then the A900 is probably better for you. If you want clean, fast and tight bass then go for the AD900. REMEMBER some will like one type and some will like the other and this is only a guideline.

Mids - AD900 is a mid monster. You like vocals? Mids, mids mids. You like Maynard James Keenan doing what he does best? Mids, mids mids. The AD900 really shines here whereas by comparison the A900 lacks. It's not so much that the A900 doesn't have mids, it's more of the fact that it has stronger bass and treble which seem to drown out the mids.

Treble - Both are probably a winner here but I tip my hat off to the AD900 because they aren't as overpowering and are more neutral with the mids and bass. The A900 might be able to reach a bit higher but you'll find yourself taking your headphones of quicker for a break.

Comfort - Supposedly some of the most comfortable around. Both use the same system and should be equally comfortable.

The AD900 sounds like the better overall can for a wide variety of music. The bass is still good but definitely not overwhelming like the A900. If you need large amounts of bass then the A900 will be a better can for you. The mids are much better and the treble is more natural on the AD900. I'd say the Koss KC75 and AD900 are probably about equal in terms of bass but the AD900 will have better detailed bass. For gaming both are very good because of their excellent sound stage and imaging. These cans are among the top suggested for gaming so you'll be very happy with both in this regard. The AD900 has better sound stage and imaging but not by much. From reading around the AD900 is worth the extra $40 for improved sound quality so thats the can I went with.

Here's a guy who did a review of the AD700, the AD900's little brother: http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10 This would be a good place to read about the signature of the cans. You'll notice at the end of the review he says the AD900's impressed him even more. Later in the thread in one of his posts he says "The AD900 sounds better than the AD700, that's the difference. Better clarity, detail, separation, balance, smoothness, bass, dynamics etc."

Cheers!

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

More discussion about AD700/AD900:

http://headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    More discussion about AD700/AD900:

http://headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10
    For my own personal tastes, I like the DT770's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast