Thread: 9800 Pro mods

Xtreme Addict

9800 Pro mods

Got the vddr and vcore. I need to redo the vddr tho I looked at the voltage controller upside down so I soldered it to legs 12 and 14 But anyways, what about vddq and vref? Does vref kill the card like it does for the 9700 pro? If so, n/m about that. And are there any places some caps would help too? Trying to squeeze every little bit outta this card. I havn't even tried it yet lol, just bought it and it got here today. I don't even got a motherboard with a agp slot right now, I'm using an hp while I wait on my neo2 to get here

It's a bbati card too, do they normally clock any better/worse than other brands? And what're safe voltages for the vddr and vcore? I'll be using a cpu cooler, not sure what yet, and later I'll be putting it under a phase changer. What kinda clocks can I expect outta it maybe? I'm hoping for 500mhz, I think thats a good goal.
    E8400 @ 3600mhz
    4870 @ 790/1100
    2x2GB DDR2

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, nevermind about the vref, found it, along with vddq, and it looks like vddq still kills the card so I won't be doing that. What about cap mods? Will they help me out any, every mhz counts.
    E8400 @ 3600mhz
    4870 @ 790/1100
    2x2GB DDR2

Xtreme Addict
    c'mon no one? I know Stevil did some for the 9700 pro, but the caps (I think) are in different places, so I'm not sure where to put em. And I don't want to add ones that arn't needed cause that wouldn't help and could possible just cause extra noise. I guess if I don't hear from anyone I'll just tryit out and let ya guys know how I do. By checking other threads 500mhz should be easy to heat even on air.
    E8400 @ 3600mhz
    4870 @ 790/1100
    2x2GB DDR2

Xtreme Member
    Sry, vref and vddq both kill it Viperjohn has a droop mods for 9800P that he has never posted.....dunno good luck with that one. As for cap mods i dont know of any.

-CaT
    Send Me Your Broken Hardware! - Repair Parts and vMod Research!
    Need vMods? PM Me!

Xtreme Addict
    they both do? I thought only one of em did.. I think it's vref that does. Well.. I guess I.. already did it, but won't be touching that pot lol.
    E8400 @ 3600mhz
    4870 @ 790/1100
    2x2GB DDR2

Xtreme Member
    lol...vref will kill w/ a bit of adjustment and vddq usually kills instantly :P

-CaT
    Send Me Your Broken Hardware! - Repair Parts and vMod Research!
    Need vMods? PM Me!

Xtreme Addict
    Well.. thats not cool then lol. I already modded both, I just won't be doing em I guess. And I talked to ViperJohn and I didn't know about the samsung 8e ram, which mine isn't. So... is this gonna be a big limiting factor?

Here's my 9800 pro now

That ram thing is kinda discouraging I was hoping I could get #1 on the orb (whether 01,03, or 05 I don't care). And.. now I feel like my chances are already gone. Oh well.. we'll see.

edit: and props to Cat for recommending the krazy glue, makes everything look much cleaner

edit2: WhErE's My SiG!?
    Last edited by kryptobs2000; 04-21-2005 at 08:32 PM.

c[_]
    Could try capacitors, i would try one extra for vgpu and one for vdimm and see what happens.

To do it all you do is find a capacitor on the front side with its legs sticking all the way through to the backside of the PCB then solder the caps to the back. Use a capacitor rated at least as much as the capacitor you are adding it to voltage wise. Capacitance doesnt matter as much, and using too much can have detrimental effects.

Keep an eye on the tempurature of the chokes on the card, if they are getting too hot they could cause vdroop and noise (ever hear a motherboard or PSU "scream" ?).

About all there is to it, and keeping everything cool. The 3.3=vmem mod might also increase memory overclock, but i've only seen it done to one 9700Pro card, so I dont know exactly how safe it really is.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    About all there is to it, and keeping everything cool. The 3.3=vmem mod might also increase memory overclock, but i've only seen it done to one 9700Pro card, so I dont know exactly how safe it really is.
    How do I do that, just connect the 3.3v line to the + side on one of the memory caps? Or do I need to connect it to all of the small smd caps?
    E8400 @ 3600mhz
    4870 @ 790/1100
    2x2GB DDR2

Xtreme Addict
    Stock cooling stock volts I've gotten to 450/390, don't have 8e memory either so I'm surprised the memory got so high. It isn't exactly stock volts though, well.. I don't think so, might be, but most are 2.9v, and with my dmm I read 3.05v. Anyways, Whats the best bios for a 9800 pro? ViperJohn told me newer bioses for 8e memory will usually let you clock the memory higher.
    E8400 @ 3600mhz
    4870 @ 790/1100
    2x2GB DDR2