Thread: Monitors/Displays/TFT Subforum in General Hardware

Xtreme Member

Monitors/Displays/TFT Subforum in General Hardware

I propose there should be a Displays (sub)Forum in the General Hardware section.

I think LCD Monitors are one of the most interesting, varied, tweakable, and important parts of a computer system.

The technology is getting more interesting as well.

On the horizon we have 120mhz+ refresh rates, affordable LED lighting, OLED lighting, and higher resolutions.

We need a specific place to talk about them. And talk about them here... on Xtreme systems.

I think a Displays Forum would be a welcome addition to those forums already under the General Section.

Thank you, and I apologize if this has been hashed out before.

e8400 4.0Ghz Q747A374 - Thermalright Ultima-90 ES - Asus P5K-D (bios 809) - BFG 285 GTX - 4Gb Mushkin Blackline PC8500 - Deck Legend Keyboard - X-fi Platinum w/BeyerDynamic DT-990pro Headset Mod - Silverstone TJ-07 - Antec Quattro 850w - Samsung 275T - OCZ Vertex 120gb + 1TB WD - Windows 7 64bit Pro

"The data on the MiG is inaccurate..."

Xtreme Member
    The need is there.... a quick canvas of the first 5-10 pages of a "New Posts" always seems to yield a significant amount of display related questions (sans GPU.)

Again... Thanks
    e8400 4.0Ghz Q747A374 - Thermalright Ultima-90 ES - Asus P5K-D (bios 809) - BFG 285 GTX - 4Gb Mushkin Blackline PC8500 - Deck Legend Keyboard - X-fi Platinum w/BeyerDynamic DT-990pro Headset Mod - Silverstone TJ-07 - Antec Quattro 850w - Samsung 275T - OCZ Vertex 120gb + 1TB WD - Windows 7 64bit Pro

I've seen this as well, but here is my issue with this. We already have 4 or 5 sub-forums within General Hardware. If you make too many, it isn't "General" any more, now it is "Specific Hardware" isn't it? Because you won't see specific types of posts until you click another category. Some will like this, some won't.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Life's Replay
    I'm against this, I posted a thread about a problem with sound that I have and I think 7 people have seen it so far, in 3 days. It sort of says something about the amount of people that go into each specific section.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    I've seen this as well, but here is my issue with this. We already have 4 or 5 sub-forums within General Hardware. If you make too many, it isn't "General" any more, now it is "Specific Hardware" isn't it? Because you won't see specific types of posts until you click another category. Some will like this, some won't.
    Very true, but if there were ever a sub category to have under "General" I believe Displays should be in it. More so than other categories. Not to pick on it specifically but "Custom Drivers" does not seem to be much used.

I agree, you can not have a sub section for everything. A "5.25in Bay device" sub section is silly to think of, but i think Displays deserve their place.

Displays are also a huge chunk of an enthusiasts budget and they vary so widely. TN, PVA, SIPS, RT, GAMMA delta, ICC color profiles, GAMMUT certification, OSD, Scalers, Calibration hardware. etc

Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    I'm against this, I posted a thread about a problem with sound that I have and I think 7 people have seen it so far, in 3 days. It sort of says something about the amount of people that go into each specific section.
    I don't think it is fair to use your specific forum post to illustrate that people do not head into sub sections. There is plenty of traffic into the sound section, even when viewed against the number of people who enter the general section at all.

Xtreme Member
    How about instead of a subforum in General HW it's given it's own forum under hardware... It could take the place of the Mac forum.

Something like

Displays
    Monitors, LCD TVs, Plasma TVs, Boob tubes ect ect

I think an "audiophile" forum would be nice too... Though I must admit too much diversity could confuse the core user base.

"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

We already have a section for that, it's called Xtreme Audio and Video, although I don't think it is in the right place as it isn't very visible.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Suggestions submitted.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro