Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: DFI NF4 Ultra/SLi-D BUGS and Fixes Thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
    Trans, is it possible the DFI boards have issues with TCCD rams? my Patriot TCCD is giving me trouble when I install Windows with some files not copying over to the hard drive. Also I made a mistake initially plugging in the power LED and the HDD Led front connectors. Is it possible that I damaged it and that's why the LED's aren't on even though the CPU and the HDD is connected?
    Try turning the little connectors upside down on the pins. This worked for me.....I had this same experience with my Neo2 boards...........and this DFI board.
    Last edited by Lidocaine; 02-05-2005 at 09:43 PM.
    Antec SX 1045Bll
    OCZ 520 Adj. Powerstream PSU
    A64 4000+ San Diego @ 2.8Ghz
    XP-90 w/92mm Vantec Tornado
    DFI LanParty nF4 SLi-DR
    4x512 GSkill PC4400LE
    HTT255x11 3xHT DDR510 2.5-3-3-11 1:1
    NEC3500 16X DVD +/- RW
    BFG 7800GTX OC
    3DMark01
    My RIGS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have restart problems everytime I use the 4v option. Can't seem to get it stable. Anyone else have any luck using the 4v option and some OCZ VXs?

Xtreme Member
    No more problem with ram .. It appears it doesnt like the yellow dimms
    Rig 1: AMD 64 3700+ SD DFI nForce4 LanParty Ultra D | OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 GOLD | OCZ Modstream 520w | Albatron 7800GTX
    Rig 2: AMD 64 X2 4400+ - Asus A8n-SLI - 2GB OCZ Value VX - Antec Phantom 500w - eVGA 6600GT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Trans, is it possible the DFI boards have issues with TCCD rams? my Patriot TCCD is giving me trouble when I install Windows with some files not copying over to the hard drive. Also I made a mistake initially plugging in the power LED and the HDD Led front connectors. Is it possible that I damaged it and that's why the LED's aren't on even though the CPU and the HDD is connected?
    I cant get my 2x512 of PDP TCCD's to do 260 in this board, they were fine @275 in the NEO2. ????

I've been trying since 6:00 this evening and cant make them pass even 1 memtest run..

Stuck in some ram with Hynix chips and it good to go....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue078
    I cant get my 2x512 of PDP TCCD's to do 260 in this board, they were fine @275 in the NEO2. ????

I've been trying since 6:00 this evening and cant make them pass even 1 memtest run..

Stuck in some ram with Hynix chips and it good to go....
    Hopefully, DFI release a new patch that will fix the TCCD issues. I thought their latest revision fix that? Well, at least I can get Windows installed and surf the internet and stuff. I'm kinda iffy with using beta BIOS after my nightmare with the Asus A8N-SLI's beta BIOSES. Basically their beta bios caused the board to no longer detect my hard drive. It was a pain in the ass to get everything reinstall.

Xtreme Member
    You might be able to get your RAM working properly by tweaking the individual settings.

Here's a good guide to RAM overclocking.
    Asus P5W DH | Intel C2D E6600 | 2GB G.Skill HZ PC2 6400 | X1900XT

Sandoval
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverXP
    I have restart problems everytime I use the 4v option. Can't seem to get it stable. Anyone else have any luck using the 4v option and some OCZ VXs?
    i have post problems with 4v option. board won't post when the jumpers are in the 4v config. using a zippy6701. opb told me he's having the same problem with his zippy and this board, something to do with the 5v sense line.

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah... I know what you mean. Sometimes it posts, sometimes it doesn't... but most of the time it doesn't. But if it does... I can get to windows and run Prime fine... but then when I want to restart it will not post again... it's getting annoying.

Everything is on Auto and I disabled Bank interleave.

Edit: When the computer boots up, the screen displays my timing as 1T even though I set everything to Auto. Could that be the reason why? How do I get rid of 1T and make it less aggressive to ensure stability?
    yo, I thought enabling bank interleave increases performance?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btomasie
    I'd like to share my current issues and also ask a question since the manual says NOTHING about it...

First my question:
    - I have the Ultra-D board, and it has the 24-pin ATX connector, the 4-pin square one, and then it also has the FDD connector by the PCIe slots, and then the HDD connector near the nForce4 chip/fan. Is it REQUIRED to have connectors plugged into the FDD and HDD connectors to get this board to run stable? Unless I am blind, the manual only references these 2 connections but doesn't specify if/when you need to have power going into them. Thanks!

Brian
    The info on the connectors is on page 56 of the PDF manual on the DFI CD. If your CD
    doesn't have the PDF manual D/L it from DFI.

Viper
    8800 Ultra to 756x1944/1260 ViperFang-IV Water Cooled
    2900XT to 992/1197 ViperFang-IV Water Cooled
    8800GTX to 756x1784/1161 ViperVenom 245w TEC Cooled
    7800GTX-512's to 742/2106
    7800GTX-256's to 650/1620
    Pictures at www.imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn
    Contact JohnHillig@Earthlink.net for Modding Information and Support.

Xtreme Member
    How do I know which PSU works with this mobo?
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Xtreme Member
    I have had everything setup for a couple of hours now and was playing css fine

Now when i play it, the screen violently shakes

EDIT: some good news.. it only happens with css.. so its definately a software issue
    Rig 1: AMD 64 3700+ SD DFI nForce4 LanParty Ultra D | OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 GOLD | OCZ Modstream 520w | Albatron 7800GTX
    Rig 2: AMD 64 X2 4400+ - Asus A8n-SLI - 2GB OCZ Value VX - Antec Phantom 500w - eVGA 6600GT

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am
    have week 40 and it seems max stable at 3.1 any lower or any higher = errors in mem86
    i cant work with memtest86 right, its dont recognize the nf4 chipset so i cant
    see the mhz and the timing of my memory.
    i tray the ocz memtest and the last memtest86.
    in which memtest86 you use for your tests trans am ?
    and its work fine?

edit : and same as opp my fx-55 and my vx works fine with the sli-dr r.01 25/1/05 bios
    Last edited by cupra; 02-06-2005 at 04:59 AM.
    Asus P5-E X38 Intel QX9650 INOO3D 9800 Gx2 4x Super Talent's T800UX2GC4
    Creative X-Fi Raid 0 Raptors 36Gb data 1Tb Seasonic M12 700w
    Dell 2407WFP Lian-Li Pc-65 mod Custom Built Phase Change Unit |Logitech G25|

RIG#2: DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R|Q9550| INOO3D 9800GTX|
    2xCellshok 1000| PC Power and cooling 750w Thermaltake v1
    Wife: DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R|Q930|BFG 8800GTS 512MB|
    Samsung ddrII 667| PC Power and cooling 610eps12v Thermaltake v1

Htpc:Dfi Sli-Dr Venus|3700+|2x1gb Team Group ddr500|Thermaltake Mozart TX

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cupra
    i cant work with memtest86 right, its dont recognize the nf4 chipset so i cant
    see the mhz and the timing of my memory.
    i tray the ocz memtest and the last memtest86.
    in which memtest86 you use for your tests trans am ?
    and its work fine?

edit : and same as opp my fx-55 and my vx works fine with the sli-dr r.01 25/1/05 bios
    In my opinion forget memtest. I tried several hours to get the max stable settings with memtest - then was very lucky to found some and in the end the rig didn't boot at all.........

Previous system:

DFI NF4 ULTRA 0453A3 KOREA CHIPSET / BIOS 510-2FIX / FX-57 0516WPMW@3.62GHZ / 2x256 CORSAIR 3200LLPT BH-5@13x278MHZ 2-2-2-5@3.69VDIMM / MACH II GT@MOD BY BERKUT / ACTIVE COOLING FOR RAM - MOSFETS - GPU RAM / CHIPSET & GPU CORE WATERCOOLED / OCZ POWERSTEAM 600W / BUILT BY ATI X850XT@660/651 - VGPU@1.73-VDD@2.26-VDDQ@2.21 PENCIL MOD / WIN XP 2x80GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP80 SATA - RAID 0 & WIN 2K 40GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP40 IDE BENCH DRIVE / PIC

----------------><------------------

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDCORECLOCKER
    In my opinion forget memtest. I tried several hours to get the max stable settings with memtest - then was very lucky to found some and in the end the rig didn't boot at all.........

As the name of the test implies, it is JUST a memory test to see whether the modules will be up to the voltage and/or mhz. It does not strain the processor or other parts of the board. It CAN be used though to know which are the max memory timings and frequency for your memory. Please use it accordingly and don't expect it to be a panacea.
    Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Toledo) @ 2.8GHz (10x280)
    DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
    2GB Mushkin XP4000 3-4-4-8 280@2.8V
    nVidia 7800GTX (Leadtek) 505/1.33
    OCZ 600W PowerStream PSU
    Dell 2405FPW

Xtreme Member
    I was having some bad issues with the 25/01 bios. No matter what I did the rig would not boot with any kind of memory overclock, it kept hanging at the NV bootagent and the SATA drives weren't showing up at all. It was strange as when I booted at stock settings and clocked it up with clockgen it displayed no stability issues whatsoever. Anyways to cut a long story short I flashed to the 01/02 bios and the boot issues magically disappeared.

Q6600 G0 L720B058 @ 3.8GHz | Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage 0403 Modded) | 4x2Gb GSkill PC8000 PQ @ 1015MHz | XFX 9800GX2 XXX @ 680/2080 | 2 x WD Raptors RAID0 | 1 x WD5000KS | Samsung S203B DVDR/W | Samsung SM245B + Panasonic TX37LZD80
    D-Tek Fuzion | PA120.3 + Shroud + Nexus Fans | MCW30 | Laing DDC w/ Petra's DDCT-01s Top Combo | Tygon 1/2" Tubing | T-Line

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakin_Skywalke
    As the name of the test implies, it is JUST a memory test to see whether the modules will be up to the voltage and/or mhz. It does not strain the processor or other parts of the board. It CAN be used though to know which are the max memory timings and frequency for your memory. Please use it accordingly and don't expect it to be a panacea.
    It is not just a memory test, it is also a processor cache test. This is the best test around for memory and if you have problems/errors with this test, your memory/CPU subsystem does not work properly, that is all.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDCORECLOCKER

I've found on several platforms now that once I get my mem to pass memtest86+, it may still need a bit more voltage/tweaking to get stable in Windows. It is OK to get a "feel good" before going into Windows, but it ain't the be all/end all test either.
    .........current project, make the 135i faster

Xtreme Member
    it be good if someone can use a multimeter to measure the true vdimm voltage and see if it under/over volts.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikead_99
    I've found on several platforms now that once I get my mem to pass memtest86+, it may still need a bit more voltage/tweaking to get stable in Windows. It is OK to get a "feel good" before going into Windows, but it ain't the be all/end all test either.
    Yep - that's exactly what I tried to say - had better experiences for stability test in Windows by using SuperPi.
    Previous system:

DFI NF4 ULTRA 0453A3 KOREA CHIPSET / BIOS 510-2FIX / FX-57 0516WPMW@3.62GHZ / 2x256 CORSAIR 3200LLPT BH-5@13x278MHZ 2-2-2-5@3.69VDIMM / MACH II GT@MOD BY BERKUT / ACTIVE COOLING FOR RAM - MOSFETS - GPU RAM / CHIPSET & GPU CORE WATERCOOLED / OCZ POWERSTEAM 600W / BUILT BY ATI X850XT@660/651 - VGPU@1.73-VDD@2.26-VDDQ@2.21 PENCIL MOD / WIN XP 2x80GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP80 SATA - RAID 0 & WIN 2K 40GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP40 IDE BENCH DRIVE / PIC

----------------><------------------

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mikead_99
    that's what memtest is for - initial testing.. b4 going into windows for more testing
    ---

Xtreme Member
    Got my board installed yesterday, went through several MAJOR curse out battles, pissed the wife off until she finally left to go out, and finally calmed down.

My board came from Hong Kong as a good friend of mine was on a business trip there. Not having a complete printed manual, my 1st question was rather or not we had to plug in the 12v FDD and HDD connectors to the board. A quick posting to the site referred me to the DFI online manual. After reading it, I went ahead and plugged in the extra 2 power connectors even though I am using the ATI X850XT PE. I figure if it is going to help system stability with SLi, then it might help flatten out the voltage in normal mode. So far, its running great, after of course going through the headaches below...

At 1st power up, I almost had a heart attack. The screen turned on, saw the pretty but useless LanParty boot screen, didn't go any further, and the fans didn't sound right, so I looked down and noticed not only the rear case 120mm fan not spinning, but the CPU fan not spinning as well Immediately pulled the power thinking that the CPU was toast. Check all the cables, everything was fine, turned back on the system, and then the CPU fan spun After about the 3rd lockup at the bios post screen, I was finally able to get in. My board shipped with the 01/25/05 bios. Using OPB's settings, I was able to boot, but it locked up after the IRQ listings. I was only giving my TCCD 2.7v as thats all it needed on the Neo2. I remembered reading a post Friday night from someone saying he needed 3.1 volts to get his TCCD to boot, so I changed the voltage to 3.1v and voila, I was able to pass Memtest at 300 2.5/4/7/4 (Memtest ran for over an hour with no errors on test #5). Of course my crappy 3500+ wasn't up to the par for running @ 300 The one thing that kept bothering me was I kept getting lockups at the bios post screen right after it identified the CPU. Flashed the bios to 1/26, same problem, flashed to 2/01, same thing, I was like DOH! Finally, I unplugged my USB Logitech Momo Force Feedback steering wheel, and the lockups disappeared. Never had this problem before on ANY other mobo. That was a major pain trying to solve. Got Windows installed, installed SP2, installed the 6.39 nForce drivers, and noticed that my nForce network controller wasn't working? I had it turned on in the bios, the driver was loaded, Active Armor was running, just no internet connection. This is a 1st, but you have to MANUALLY enter in the MAC address from the sticker on the enet port in the bios. Once I did that, it works like a charm. Now why doesn't DFI just do that autimatically in the bios? Every other vendor I have ever used, I have never had to enter in the MAC LAN address. Oh well!

I could never get my 3500+ to be stable enough for Prime on this setup no matter what voltage I used, so for good laughs, I threw back in my 3000+ that would only do 280 on my Neo2 @ 1.65v. She is chugging along right now at 290 @ 1.552v, Prime stable overnight! May try for the magic 300 later today, but I am kinda exhausted after all the troubles yesterday brought. Out of all the systems I have ever built (100+), this is by far the 1 that caused me the most headaches. However, in all due to DFI's defence, we are the pioneers of their Socket939 adventure, and they have giving us what everyone else wouldn't in terms of overclockability and settings. Now that the boards are out, and they can be run with all the various hardware out there, it will hopefully be easier for them to fix the quirks.

I am still stumped on the voltage required to run the TCCD? Most 437 Samsung chips like low volts, as was the case with my Neo2. Using 3.1 volts on them, they are still cool to the touch, as well as the mofsets around them. If I go under 3.1 volts, the board locks after the IRQ boot screen. And yes, my 5v jumper is in the stock position for 3.2v max. For those having TCCD boot issues, try changing your voltage to 3.1v and see if it helps with the post lockups. Also, try unplugging your USB periphs. Like me, my Logitech Momo steering wheel caused hard lockups during post. I have tried setting the USB jumpers onboard to both +5v and +5vsb with the same result.

Using OPB's memory settings from this thread.

For everyone out there going in the unchartered waters with the DFI, here's one to ya In all, once you get it setup, its a really nice rig!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2004
    It is not just a memory test, it is also a processor cache test. This is the best test around for memory and if you have problems/errors with this test, your memory/CPU subsystem does not work properly, that is all.
    I would NEVER use Memtest as a end of all true stability test! DOS does not stress out the cpu enough, even if it is using the cache controller on the CPU. With my 3500+, I could Memtest @ 275 with the 11x multiplier, but as soon as I went to boot WinXP, the system would reboot. This was after running Memtest over 4 hours using tests 5 & 6.

Use Memtest to find the MAX of your memory. Lower your multipler down to 5 or 6, then crank up the HTT til you start getting errors in test 5 or 6. Keep adjusting memory settings until you find MAX stable memory.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    that's what memtest is for - initial testing.. b4 going into windows for more testing
    Yep, if it'll pass all tests 1-7 and survive test #5 looping, it's usually good enough for a clean boot and shutdown. A good way to avoid trashing your OS install. I usually have to back down 4 - 5 notches on FSB/HTT from "memtest-stable" to stabilize in P95 and 3D01.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does any one know yet why it takes 3.1vdimm to get TCCD's to clock on this board ??

I have some PDP with XBL and it ran just fine in the NEO 2 on 2.7v
    But couldnt get the ram to 260 on 2.7 even with OPB settings on the SLI-DR
    After reading you guys posts about haveing to use 3.1V I caved in and tried it, and at least memtest is runing now.

Strange ?

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast