Page 1 of 49 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: DFI NF4 Ultra/SLi-D BUGS and Fixes Thread

Xtreme Guru

Angry DFI NF4 Ultra/SLi-D BUGS and Fixes Thread

EDIT:
    hey, since the dfi nf4 seems to be THE overclockers choice atm there are also many reports about problems with this series of mainboard. this thread is going to be the place to check for updates and fixes and tweaks, and also the place to post if you have problems wit your board.
    -saaya

here are some tips and tricks:

if your board doesnt boot:
    use the safe mode jumper
    reset cmos
    use memory slots 2 and 4 (orange)
    use only one memory slot (2 - orange)
    quickly switch the psu power button from on to off several times and try to power it on then
    make sure your board is not shorted against the back of the case
    try to pin down the problem by using other parts if possible
    try other memory
    set 3.3v rail feed to vdimm (5v doesnt work with 20 pin psus)

if your board is unstable:
    try the latest bios
    make sure you didnt set any of the various memory timings too tight (use setup defaults in case your not sure or dont know what the spd timings were)
    if your using the 5v rail feed for vdimm increase vdimm, this will stabilize the vdimm output
    make sure the board isnt shorted against the back of the case
    make sure all your other hardware is working alright
    check if you have the same problems at stock settings, set all bios settings to default
    try to pin down the problem by using other parts if possible

tips:

the bios will reset much faster when you set the jumper to "reset cmos" and then power your psu off until the leds on the board fade, then power it on until they power on again, repeat this 4 or 5 times and the cmos is usually reset. this way it takes just a couple of seconds, otherwise a cmos reset took me up to 15mins sometimes.

when mounting an xp120 you wont be able to use the first memory slot.
    if you have your board lying flat or you have a case that mounts the board upside down you can however mount the heatsink the other way around and you will be able to use the first memory slot. this wont work very well with the case standing if its mounted the niormal way around as the heatpipes cant really work. corsair xl pro memory with led displays will most likely not fit though, even with the xp120 mounted upside down.

it seems theres a weird bug when it comes to coing the fsb with clockgen, 250mhz was unstable for me when i booted with an fsb of 240 or less... but once i booted with 250mhz it was stable and i could reach 280 and higher using clockgen.

if you get BSODs or cant boot to windows or have other problems with your ide drives try switching them from master to slave or vice versa and try them on different ide slots, this helped me to get some drives working correctly that were buggy before or caused a bsod for some reason.

check out firedragons dfi nf4 bios guide!

DFI NF4 Vcore Table

trick to get more stable vdimm and get vdimm above 3.2v with a 20pin psu

trick to use the Zippy and 850SSI on DFI nF4

i will go through this thread and look for more tweaks and tricks and bugfixes, if you know one or some please post them here or pm them to me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, guys. To help the DFI and other members, lets post any bugs or fixes in here. I noticed one already. I tried to go into the bios with TCCD OCZ el4200 and I would get a blinking cursor in the top left side of the screen and it would just hang. Then I rebooted. same thing. I reset the cmos 5 times or so and I was actually in the bios at one point, but then the bios would lock up and I would have to cold boot. So I swapped my VX in and it would work fine and I was able to install winxp. Now, I need to find a way to get this tccd to work. I went on DFI-street and Angrygames said his NF4 DFI doesn't work. LOL! He said to plug the 4 pin molex above the chipset in, I already did that and it didn't matter if it was plugged in or disconnected. I found a beta bios on the DFI beta site dated from FEB. 1, 2005. I currently have the shipping bios with 1/25/2005 date. THis is what the new bios is suppose to fix:

1. LDT default set at 5x.
    2. Fixed IR connection failure.
    3. Fixed Boot failure when installing certain CL2 memory modules.

Get it here:
    http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LD201.zip

***please keep this thread clean and just post problems and fixes. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Onepagebook
    Just chat with oskar couple minutes ago,
    here you guys gotta be aware of.

1. whenever you wanna change hardware, you must completely shut down your psu, certainly the standby switch too.
    wait for the two orange leds completely off 10 seconds BEFORE you add/remove hardware ; or you might damage your hardware or motherboard.

2.after you flash bios if you are thinking use 5v rail for vdimm extension, you need to set vcore for non-auto setting and save bios then come back into bios, then you can see 4v option. It's probably the 1.25 and 2.01 bios got this circuit protection.

Looks like easy concept, but it's really easy to forget.
    any problem we can discuss here.!
    Hope it helps.

OPB
    Last edited by saaya; 09-17-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Sorry to double post, but there seems to be an issue on boards that have the bios 1/25/05 installed. read what Angry said:
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50237

(quote from Angry_Games when I asked him why his board wasn't working)
    "just doesnt work now. I am not allowed to go into anymore than that . If your board has problems return it via RMA and have it replaced. Latest shipping boards are R.A02 with Feb bios. If your board didnt have this, then you should have it replaced."
    Last edited by trans am; 02-04-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm guessing you may have gotten an engineering sample/beta/ test sample since he said most newer boards are shipped with the February bios. That's too bad... I hope mine doesn't have the same problem when I started messing with it tonight. I ONLY have TCCD memory and I would love to test high HTT limits...

But yeah... sorry for not posting any fixes/problems... I just wanted to respond. I will, however, have this board tonight... so consider this post more of a reserved spot for a bug/fix related issue in the near future.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverXP
    I'm guessing you may have gotten an engineering sample/beta/ test sample since he said most newer boards are shipped with the February bios. That's too bad... I hope mine doesn't have the same problem when I started messing with it tonight. I ONLY have TCCD memory and I would love to test high HTT limits...

But yeah... sorry for not posting any fixes/problems... I just wanted to respond. I will, however, have this board tonight... so consider this post more of a reserved spot for a bug/fix related issue in the near future.

If you look on the last pci slot(not the x16 slot), there is a sticker with a barcode and a part no. mine says R.A02 so according to this, I have the good one, but the bios was 1/25/05. Now I'm confused. I flashed to the 2/2/05 beta, and the OCZ TCCD still wouldn't work, but this ram was running fine just a minute ago on the asus A8V-E so I don't think the ram is bad.
    Also I noticed not all tccd won't work, So far it's just the double sided ocz el4200+ that was giving me problems. I was able to run the Gskill LA just fine. But these are 2x256 sticks. I turned bank interleave off(since these are 2x256) dram drive strength is on auto and I set data drive strength to 2. Cmd(1t) is enabled. xp90 air cooled with some crappy hot air blowing through lol. I have a 80mm fan on the mosfets.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfi 1.JPG 
Views:	44765 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	24051  
    Last edited by trans am; 02-04-2005 at 04:23 PM.

well, after rcv my sli-d yesterday. I was having a hard time setting it up...
    its a Rev. A01 board w 25/01/2005 bios.

suddenly i had to pump 3.0v for my corsair XMS 3200 XLPT rev 1.2 for 200Mhz @2-2-2-7-1T and my TCCD take it....

The only difference is just an additional cooling fan being installed between this n my GA-K8NF-9 as it was hot on the giga board.

Any voltage less than 3.0v, my tccd would fail super pi w rounding errors...

wonder the vdimm voltage as display by smart guardian is correct or not...

anyone having similar problem w this ? have to depress F10 straight away at bios after using page up/down else cannot change voltage at all....

I touch the heat spreader of the TCCD and it was actually cool !

now i m lost....a calibration error ?
    Last edited by AMDnewbie; 02-04-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry to hear about your problems Trans-Am, but darn when it works, it flies. Looks promissing. Hope all get's fixed quickly for u.

Xtreme Guru
    I don't have smartguardian installed because it used to make me crash on the nf3 ultra dfi. I have a multimeter, but I can't get to the mosfets since there are sinks on them and I don't know where to find my vdimm with it. Does anyone know? right now tccd is at 3.1v and the 2/2/05 bios only has vdimm up to 3.2v I thought this thing rocked up to 4v?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You have to enable it by switching to 5v... there should be a jumper for it somewhere... but be warned of the heat that th emosfets will give out and make sure to actively cool them.

I wonder why you need such high vdimm for TCCD though.... OnePageBook said he needed only 2.65

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverXP
    You have to enable it by switching to 5v... there should be a jumper for it somewhere... but be warned of the heat that th emosfets will give out and make sure to actively cool them.

thanks quick. I will try that. I have plenty of fans to throw on here. no problemo.

OPB has tccd from week 37 I think. Week 37 runs great with low volts, I have week 40 and it seems max stable at 3.1 any lower or any higher = errors in mem86

Xtreme Member
    As part of the FIX solution I hope, allow me to contribute the following:

Seems no in depth manual was shipped with the board, although I have posted this link in other threads, it might be appropriate for those with questions about functionalities and what not , to go grab this manual:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/...0847205042.pdf

As it pertains to the final motherboard delivered to the market place, on the last PCI slot there should be a sticker on it. There appears to be 3 versions of the final 'non beta' board which have been delivered to the market place.
    Those are identified as versions: R.A00 - R.A01 - R.A02 ~ at this time what is the difference between these 3 boards is unknowned but all 3 are claimed to be final boards and should be working. However the following comments and suggestions is being presented by Angry_Games tech support for DFI, on this specific topic:
    i dont have any information on the differences. Boards shipped in USA/CDN are R.A02. That is the only information I can give you. If you receive a board that is not R.A02, and are unhappy with it, or it is defective, or just want the latest, ship it back to DFI and they will modify it to R.A02 or replace it.
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...22&postcount=2

Also note that nVidia was to released today a new nforce 4 driver, I have posted in the AMD forum about this earlier today. That might resolve some other issue that could come up and not related to a board/bios issue, however I still cannot find the new driver which is suppose to be 6.39 in an offical matter (not posted on their site that I can see).

However take a peek here:

ftp://download1.nvidia.com/Windows/n...andalone/6.39/

Edit: 02/04/05

This just in :http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=52268

I hope all this helps a little bit.
    Last edited by Blindbat; 02-04-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am
    Sorry to double post, but there seems to be an issue on boards that have the bios 1/25/05 installed. read what Angry said:
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?p=50237

(quote from Angry_Games when I asked him why his board wasn't working)
    "just doesnt work now. I am not allowed to go into anymore than that . If your board has problems return it via RMA and have it replaced. Latest shipping boards are R.A02 with Feb bios. If your board didnt have this, then you should have it replaced."
    First of all I'd like to make clear that the R.A02 boards do have the the 25/1 bios just like R.A01 boards. Now, my board is a R.A00 one and it came with the 19/1 bios, which I have flashed to the latest one, 2.01. What I came to understand is that they are ALL final boards with the "latest" changes, although some of them came out first,etc.
    Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Toledo) @ 2.8GHz (10x280)
    DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
    2GB Mushkin XP4000 3-4-4-8 280@2.8V
    nVidia 7800GTX (Leadtek) 505/1.33
    OCZ 600W PowerStream PSU
    Dell 2405FPW

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by OSKARWU
    there is only one hardware revision in all nf4 model , the difference is bios , due to we have found some issue from some user in our prouction , we change the bios twice , so just update the bios is all the user need to do ... please do not let user to get confused
    looks like all we need to do is reflash, hopefully my issues with the dual sided TCCD will have a fix. If anyone has 2x512 tccd, please test and see if you get these issues as well.
    Last edited by trans am; 02-04-2005 at 05:47 PM.

HACKED!!!
    TCCD OCZ el4200
    Is the exact stuff AG was using at 8x310 with air-cooled 3200 winchester. He had it a little while though and it may well be one of those tCCd chips change things. I think as well he only had to put 2.9V on his memory.

RGone...
    Back and forth from board to board it seems.

any tips on what options/switches to use when flashing the bios? ive been flashing bios' on my nf7-s in windows so havnt done a dos flash in ages.
    as i understand it theres a whole bunch of options for awdflash.exe you're supposed to use?

Xtreme Member
    i have the A00 of the mobo (I'm from rome italy) came with 119 bios..ah the sli-dr
    works fine here running the 3000 winnie at 2700mhz just with 1,5vcore RS 3Ds hours of UT never a crash it's an OC heaven but now I have this prob of the audio..forgot to install the realtek drivers came with the cd, couldn't use spdif nor the optical thru frontx but now got it enabled after i've installed the drivers but i have these 2 problems

1) sometimes I hear some scratches(like on dfi nf3)

2)got the optical plugged into my pro home theater but the signal ain't digital, how come?I'm using the optical and there's no option like on soundstorm if to use digitalized signals but there's some option on realtek proggie under SPDIF Tab

No Output
    Output Digital Only
    Output Digital And Analog

tried em all keep getting analog signals

cheers

silver

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephir0th
    any tips on what options/switches to use when flashing the bios? ive been flashing bios' on my nf7-s in windows so havnt done a dos flash in ages.
    as i understand it theres a whole bunch of options for awdflash.exe you're supposed to use?
    Just use winflash, it's much better in any case
    Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Toledo) @ 2.8GHz (10x280)
    DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
    2GB Mushkin XP4000 3-4-4-8 280@2.8V
    nVidia 7800GTX (Leadtek) 505/1.33
    OCZ 600W PowerStream PSU
    Dell 2405FPW

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakin_Skywalke
    Just use winflash, it's much better in any case
    i agree

Xtreme Addict
    Seph, the manual might help, haven't looked through it thoroughly but it couldn't hurt. I wanted to post a local link to it anyway as access to it on DFI's server is SLOOOW

You guys might want to keep this link handy somehow, I'll be updating the manual regularly and prolly hosting it for some time . . .

http://www.mattoverclocked.com/dfi_nf4.pdf

EDIT: Also, as far as bugs go, this would be an important one: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=52090 - anyone that does any testing, let us know, cooling/chip stepping etc.
    Last edited by matt9669; 02-04-2005 at 07:18 PM.
    Want your news on the front page? Click here!

Xtreme Guru
    Update, I was able to get the el4200 to work. It was a simple as unplugging the power cord from the psu for a few minutes and then it worked fine.(thanks oskar and OPB.) but my VX is having problems. I used to run it at 264mhz now it only runs around 255. If anyone has some tried and true vx settings for this bad dog, let us know.
    also my vx is doing best with 3.1-3.2v anything higher=errors!!! I wonder if this board has better voltage efficiency? My setting are:
    2-2-6-2 cmd enabled, all other timings on auto. dram drive strength auto, data drive strength level1, bank interleave is enabled, chipset voltage 1.8v, htt link voltage 1.5, vdimm 3.2, cpu vcore is 1.425x123%

My vx was in the single channel DFI 754 before, at 3.5v and 264 was mem86 stable. Is there any hope to get this back up to 264?
    Last edited by trans am; 02-04-2005 at 08:34 PM.

teh 0wnage
    any news on cpu test and memtest?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    stuck

keep up the good work trans_am

Talking

now corsair 1 GB XMS 3200 XLPT running at normal voltage after flashing to latest bios 010205.still yet to test its overclockability since the previous bios don't allow me to do so......

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am
    Update, I was able to get the el4200 to work. It was a simple as unplugging the power cord from the psu for a few minutes and then it worked fine.(thanks oskar and OPB.) but my VX is having problems. I used to run it at 264mhz now it only runs around 255. If anyone has some tried and true vx settings for this bad dog, let us know.
    also my vx is doing best with 3.1-3.2v anything higher=errors!!! I wonder if this board has better voltage efficiency? My setting are:
    2-2-6-2 cmd enabled, all other timings on auto. dram drive strength auto, data drive strength level1, bank interleave is enabled, chipset voltage 1.8v, htt link voltage 1.5, vdimm 3.2, cpu vcore is 1.425x123%

My vx was in the single channel DFI 754 before, at 3.5v and 264 was mem86 stable. Is there any hope to get this back up to 264?
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, but you were running at 264mhz in single channel, right?

Now you're at 255mhz dual channel?

I'm pretty sure running dual channel puts more stress on the chipset and will decrease overclocking by some amount. Am I wrong?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My DFI & Geil Ultra-X pc3200 rev. A00 bios 25.01.05

luigi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This from the DFI forums......

"OSKAR][一 二 三 準備跳樓了 !!!] says:
    there is only one hardware revision in all nf4 model , the difference is bios , due to we have found some issue from some user in our prouction , we change the bios twice , so just update the bios is all the user need to do ... please do not let user to get confused"

So looks like the retail boards are all final revisions with the changes.
    Last edited by bito; 02-05-2005 at 04:49 AM.

Page 1 of 49 123411 ... LastLast