Thread: Value Ram shootout at Anandtech

Xtreme Enthusiast

Value Ram shootout at Anandtech

This just out.

I've only skimmed it as I'm starting my commute home.

They like the Value VX...I wonder why?

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392

Xtreme Member
    Nice article, but why would they skip out on Twinmos?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe they figured with our 100+ page thread here there is nothing that they could say that hasn't been said already???

Seriously, it would have been nice to have seen it included.
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 04-11-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I was a little curious as to why they only bothered to look into the chips on the OCZ RAM. seems that all the others were labeled generic and stuck with SPD timings and default volts whereas OCZ got 2.5-3-3-7 SPD down to 2-2-2 with 3.3v...

woulda been curious bout the others

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Would of been nice to see them throw in some of the other popular value RAM like the Corsair line as well.

XS Local
    Anandtech's reviews to me aren't usefull.. most of the ram they get is cherry, so i really dont care to read there reviews as they usualy aren't close to real world performance..

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

"AKA Alonso"
    agreed

Xtreme Member
    What stops a site like AT, with huge revenue from ads, simply purchasing the ram at the egg? It would cost <$1000, a drop in the ocean, and we would have a real review.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by burningrave101
    Would of been nice to see them throw in some of the other popular value RAM like the Corsair line as well.
    According to the article, Corsair declined, stating that they don't provide samples of their value line ram for reviews. When Anandtech asked why, Corsair's response was that since they change chips in the value lines so often, whatever was tested would not be indicative of what would be in the modules at any given time. I thought that AT should have gone out and bought some at that point, as they are a significant player.

As for cherry picking...I agree that it sure does appear that the sticks (and CPUs and M/B...) they test are always stellar.

With this value ram "shootout" I'm not quite so skeptical.

I do think they wasted their time in a way, though. With their recent test of the VX I would have thought that a review of all of the value ram with UTT would have been the way to go.

Imagine, in addition to TM, have GEIL, Mushkin, OCZ, Adata, Kingston and Patriot (and anybody else that I left out) all fighting it out at 240-260 MHz and 3.5v - 3.7v or more. They would have had to call in the Fire Dept to put out the fires from that one.
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 04-11-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    They didn't even put in the Geil Values

Xtreme Member
    Latest Geil Values can have Winbond UTT chips (at least mine has), probably leftovers from the UltraX PC3200.

Xtreme Member
    makes it even better!~!

Live Long And Overclock
    Latest Geil Values can have Winbond UTT chips (at least mine has), probably leftovers from the UltraX PC3200.
    I somehow doubt that...at 2-3-2-5 ??? Most Values usually turn out to be CH-5, not capable of any more than ~230 at 2-3-x-x.

As for the round-up, someone at Anandtech must've gotten bored

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie34
    Nice article, but why would they skip out on Twinmos?
    yeah... i think they SHOULD NOT skip out twinmos.. for me, twinmos UTT is my best value ram right now..

Live Long And Overclock
    yeah... i think they SHOULD NOT skip out twinmos.. for me, twinmos UTT is my best value ram right now..
    Its all about the dough...Twinmos cant sponsor a review to the same extent Kingston/OCZ can When was the last time u saw a Twinmos review anyway?? Why? Cos they make value ram primarily and are VERY small compared to its competitors. Heck the only way Twinmos competes is by offering price/perf in the value section, any higher and brand preference comes into play and ppl buy OCZ/Corsair/Kingston etc.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    Its all about the dough...Twinmos cant sponsor a review to the same extent Kingston/OCZ can
    No web banner on Anand = no review? Maybe they threw Transend just to make it look like that was not the case. I imagine Anand just couldn't take a chance they might get an awesome pair of Twinmos CH UTT and have their readership running from their sponsered to buy up the Twinmos CH at NewEgg.

I wonder if "sponsership" was completely to blame for the selection of budget memory. Otherwise why not take care of some of their other advertisers with low latency budget memory like Geil with their GL1GB3200PDC GEIL (2x512MB) CAS2 and the Mushkin Blue which is featured at the top of their home page? Did Anand just do a poor job selecting their budget candidates because they don't know whats going on in the market?
    Sourcing parts for a mildly over clocked abacus.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    I somehow doubt that...at 2-3-2-5 ??? Most Values usually turn out to be CH-5, not capable of any more than ~230 at 2-3-x-x.

As for the round-up, someone at Anandtech must've gotten bored

Perkam
    From what I know CH-5 are out of production. And the memory I bought is a fresh one, made in march 2005. And UTTs are quite common in value RAM lately. Most of the TwinMOS I've seen in the past month contains UTTs (either CH UTT or BH UTT). And if Geil buys BH UTTs for their UltraX it is normal that some won't work at 2-2-2-5 @ low voltages, so they would probably include them in Value RAM.

Can't get lower than 2-3-2-5, because of the voltage : only 2.7v.