Thread: Can't access Award BIOS @ startup

Question Can't access Award BIOS @ startup

Wanted to use dual monitors to my computer, so I tried to install a old PCI Hercules Stingray 128/3D (3DFX vodoo rush) from '97 as an extra graphicscard to my usual AGP Asus V7700 GeForce2 PRO.

The computer didn't boot any further than to when the amount of RAM was going to be shown (just before it's time to press "Del" to enter BIOS).

OK, maybe it was too old I thought, unplugged the Hercules PCI card, rebooted and tried to enter my BIOS, but all that happened after I pressed "Del" was that a black screen appeared with a blue line at the bottom, and a blinking underscore in the top left corner; the BIOS GUI didn't start!

Unplugged the CMOS battery, reseted BIOS, switched the BIOS ROM to a new, flashed it with the latest BIOS (06-10-2002) from abit's homepage, flashed it with some old versions, but I still can't enter my BIOS to make changes! I need do that, because my computer is now only running @ 1050Mhz, but I have 1400Mhz CPU!

Tried to use MODBIN, to edit the bin file that's written to the BIOS ROM, but I don't think that the CPU speed can be changed in that program.

---My computer---
    AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    Abit KG7 RAID motherboard
    512mb DDR crucial cas 2.5
    2 W/D IDE harddrives; 20 & 40Gb @ 7200rpm
    Terratec ewx 2496 soundcard
    Intel 10/100mbit NIC
    ASUS V7700 Geforce 2 PRO 64mb AGP graphics card
    Win XP pro
    -----------------------

What should I do? I need a program so I can change the settings for my BIOS in windows (or in DOS mode). Any suggestions? Or any other way to fix my problem???

I can still start my computer, and it works, but with all the default BIOS settings it isn't very optimized!

/Henrik, Sweden
    Last edited by Henxon; 12-04-2002 at 09:25 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    nm, you already tried it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Henxon,

Welcome to Xtreme

So let me get this straight...you can run the PC fine, you can even flash the BIOS, but you can't access the BIOS for making changes?
    E8600. EP45-UD3P. 500FSB 24/7. Still WinXP. Heatware

That's right! Computer works fine, can flash bios, but when I try to enter it I get the black screen with blue line and a blinking underscore @ top left corner!

It must have something to do with the insert of my PCI graphicscard!

Xtreme Mentor
    Yea, that's a very strange problem. I wish I could help ya, but I'm at a loss right now. Do let us know if you figure it out.
    E8600. EP45-UD3P. 500FSB 24/7. Still WinXP. Heatware

Xtreme Cruncher
    Only thing else I might try is to remove the AGP card, put the PCI Voodoo in and see if it initializes the BIOS display.
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

Paladin

Not really sure this will work but if you have a usb mouse just unplug it and see if that fixes it. Also make sure that the CPU hsf is on header 4. If the RPM signal connector is even there.
    Last edited by Tmod; 12-06-2002 at 07:06 AM.

Have an USB mouse, going to try to unplug everything exept keyboard. I can't start my computer with the PCI graphics card because it wont get any further than to where the memory is counting @ the startup, then it just stops. Going to try another PCI card though. Hope it helps

But I can get it to work in another way. My brother allso has a KG7 Raid MB, so I will flash my BIOS rom there with the right CPU speed and everything. He lives 200 miles away from me, so it's not so easy for me to make changes in my BIOS :-)
    Last edited by Henxon; 12-07-2002 at 09:38 AM.