Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $100 budget cooler

Xtreme Mentor

$100 budget cooler

hey everyone, im currently building a cheap cpu cooler for my friend sheograth
    the main restriction in this build is the $100 budget

heres some specs and a pic:
    Embraco 1/5hp - $28 off ebay
    chilly1 small condenser $20
    shamino style cap evap $10
    stainless flex line - $7
    r290 refrigerant - $4
    20' of 1/4" tubing - $10

$79 so far

parts still needed:
    compressor oil
    .028 cap tube
    evap base plate (already ordered)

can you see the light? is it shining too bright? can you see the light at the end of the tunnel, i know i do, i know its true.

Xtreme Addict
    I think you got a bad hose . if thats a washing machine line/ has a rubber inside you cant use it. You need one of those corrogated ones ofr gas. they are yellow alot of the time.

check your pm

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU
    I think you got a bad hose . if thats a washing machine line/ has a rubber inside you cant use it. You need one of those corrogated ones ofr gas. they are yellow alot of the time.
    ok, LOL i got like 3 of those yellow lines in my room, but the problem with those is brazing to stainless steel, i gotta get myself some high silver content braze

i had a feeling that suction line was gonna be bad, ow well

can you see the light? is it shining too bright? can you see the light at the end of the tunnel, i know i do, i know its true.

Xtreme Mentor
    im going to pressure test the flex line tomorrow, i got this hose if that one wont work i got this

-100C Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinky
    ok, LOL i got like 3 of those yellow lines in my room, but the problem with those is brazing to stainless steel, i gotta get myself some high silver content braze

i had a feeling that suction line was gonna be bad, ow well
    brazing stainless steel to copper can be done with 15% silver brown tip).
    with the correct heating and use of white flux

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hear that those hoses expand in length quite considerably, you may want to get one with a stainless steel braid. If you do use it, then I would advise not to run the cap tube inside it but instead wrap it around the outside.

Xtreme Member
    If you can accomplish this build for around $100 bucks, that will truely be impressive. I sure would like to know where you guys get those perfect little condensers.

Xtreme Member
    OMFG where the f*ck do you get all that stuff so cheap? only $4 for a canister of r290 (propane)? and $28 for a 1/5 hp compressor? lol... that would be easily 4x as expensive here... can you build me one too? I'll give ya 200 euro's (about $250)

C2D E6300 @ 3.5ghz | 2x1GB ADATA "Micron D9" @ 500 4-4-4-12 2.3v | Asus P5B-E Plus C2 | Sapphire X1900XT 512MB | Tuniq Tower 120

Xtreme Member
    If it's not too much trouble and you have the time.
    Could you post the dimensions of the condensor? I'm planning on doing a shroud for one before I get it.

Good luck with your build

Thanks

P.S.:
    evap base plate (already ordered)
    Where?
    Last edited by REDKEN; 04-05-2005 at 05:13 AM.
    P4C800E DL,P4 2.4c @ 3.4(droop mod),1G Mushkin 3500 II 2,2,2,8 @ 3.1v,AIW 9800 Pro (450/370 @ 1.9v core),Audiology Platinum,2xDiamonds 8mb Raid0,Lian-Li Pc70,PC P & Cooling 510D,Plextor 708A,Plextor 52x32x52...water cooled...

Xtreme Addict
    you dont need to braze the hose in. just get some 3/8in flare washers and you should make a good/leak free flare connection to the copper.

Xtreme Member
    HxWxD=3 3/4"x6"x4 1/2"

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU
    you dont need to braze the hose in. just get some 3/8in flare washers and you should make a good/leak free flare connection to the copper.
    i spent two hours yesterday at two different stores finding fitings that fit these threads, and nothing fit. apparently these use "compression" threds which are different from normal pipe threads

so.... i gave up and cut off the nuts at the end with my hacksaw, so ill definitely solder this one

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by REDKEN
    If it's not too much trouble and you have the time.
    Could you post the dimensions of the condensor? I'm planning on doing a shroud for one before I get it.

Good luck with your build

Thanks

P.S.: Where?
    height = 6"
    width = 4.25"
    depth = 3.75"
    the little metal tab is 1/2" wide

i ordered from onlinemetals.com

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace278
    HxWxD=3 3/4"x6"x4 1/2"
    P4C800E DL,P4 2.4c @ 3.4(droop mod),1G Mushkin 3500 II 2,2,2,8 @ 3.1v,AIW 9800 Pro (450/370 @ 1.9v core),Audiology Platinum,2xDiamonds 8mb Raid0,Lian-Li Pc70,PC P & Cooling 510D,Plextor 708A,Plextor 52x32x52...water cooled...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell_hq
    I hear that those hoses expand in length quite considerably, you may want to get one with a stainless steel braid. If you do use it, then I would advise not to run the cap tube inside it but instead wrap it around the outside.
    yah ill definitely wrap it on the outside

Xtreme Member
    height = 6"
    width = 4.25"
    depth = 3.75"
    the little metal tab is 1/2" wide

i ordered from onlinemetals.com
    Thanks! We must have posted at the same time. I didn't see your post there

Xtreme Member
    i spent two hours yesterday at two different stores finding fitings that fit these threads, and nothing fit. apparently these use "compression" threds which are different from normal pipe threads

so.... i gave up and cut off the nuts at the end with my hacksaw, so ill definitely solder this one

They are fine thread 3/8" flare.. I have had luck finding them at lowes and at a local plumbing shop... Only way I have ever gotten a leak proof seal is either to make copper gaskets for them by flaring a 3/8" copper pipe and cutting the flare off or by using this blue stuff called leak lock.. Stainless to brass no matter how tight still leaks, well for me anyways.. Good luck with the build..
    Last edited by Eradicator; 04-05-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Wow 100 bucks, I need to look at Ebay more closley....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eradicator
    They are fine thread 3/8" flare.. I have had luck finding them at lowes and at a local plumbing shop... Only way I have ever gotten a leak proof seal is either to make copper gaskets for them by flaring a 3/8" copper pipe and cutting the flare off or by using this blue stuff called leak lock.. Stainless to brass no matter how tight still leaks, well for me anyways.. Good luck with the build..
    Don't use blue leak lock, it's awful to remove and leaks after a few months. It's often the reason behind the failure of many many commercial units (walk ins etc). Loctite makes a good thread sealant, ill try and find the part # and get back here.

Xtreme Addict
    I've used the blue leak lock on my cascade. On the 1st stage TEV. It held over 400psi for server hours no problems. And held 100psi for 5 days w/o moving.

Not try to over rule gkiing, but it has worked out for me fine. not only on flaire fittings but on other stuff too.
    I like building Vapor phase coolers......
    ......to cool mynipples!!

Heat is "gclg2000"
    95-0-0

-100C Cascade Club

Xtreme Member
    3800+ Manchester @ 2.5ghz on an Asus A8N-SLI, 1024mb Corsair XMS 2 3 2 6, 7800GT SLI

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gclg2000
    I've used the blue leak lock on my cascade. On the 1st stage TEV. It held over 400psi for server hours no problems. And held 100psi for 5 days w/o moving.

Not try to over rule gkiing, but it has worked out for me fine. not only on flaire fittings but on other stuff too.

Yah Ive been using the stuff for two years on various single stage DD units, not a leak yet, not to say it cant or will not happen though.. Im no expert, just learn as I go.

Xtreme Addict
    well i hope that doesnt happen to me, i love the stuff! btw blinky you should have asked someone to send you the parts before you cut off the ends. iam sure there are a ton of member including myself who could have sent them in a small envelope...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast