Thread: Noob Alert! Memory for DFI LP NF4 + Venice

Noob Alert! Memory for DFI LP NF4 + Venice

Apologies for a no doubt common post but thanks to an exploding 9800Pro I intend to build a system as above as soon as I can get my grubby hands on said Venice proc. Assuming they come in a price points similar to current Winnies then I can just about justify a 3200+ or 3500+ which means I will have a 10* or 11* multi to play with. Now I have been looking at memory to get good low latencies and high Mhz to allow me to (try) to run it at 2600-2800 on air, which I suppose means memory that can do up to 280MHz. I have heard good things about G.Skill and Patriot TCCD both of which can be had here in the UK for £180 for 2*512MB. I was also looking at Ballisix but from what I read they can top out at 260Mhz. Correct?

Any recomendations or other suggestions for wonder sticks available in the UK ?
    Last edited by dpadmore; 03-22-2005 at 01:06 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Gskill tends to clock well, in general, and OCZ Plat Rev 2 does well too. Unless you want to run a low core speed or a divider then UTT or BH-5 isn't really for you. A lot of people say running on a divider doesn't effect A64's much at all. But then again a lot of other people tend to disagree. It's entirely upto you, but for the most part, people will recommend TCCD when having lower multi CPU's.

Personally, if I decide to pick up a Venice it will probably be the 3800+. In which case I'll opt for BH-5 or UTT and run a reasonable clock 1:1. But at the moment with my Winchester 3000+, I felt TCCD would be better as I could run a fairly high clock at 1:1.

Have a look around here for some failry resonable prices on RAM. http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/

Also this store does a nice price on OCZ VX PC4000, and even throw in a Booster for good measure.
    http://www.oc-wear.de/
    Winchester 3000+ (CBBHD 0448 SPAW) @ 2.6GHz 1.440 VCore
    DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR
    GSkill LE 2x512MB @ 290MHz 2.5-4-3-7 3.0VDIMM
    ATI Radeon X800XT @ 540/510
    PCP&C 510 Deluxe SLI
    All Stock cooling
    Saitek Gaming Keyboard + Razor Diamondback Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Zedex
    Gskill tends to clock well, in general, and OCZ Plat Rev 2 does well too. Unless you want to run a low core speed or a divider then UTT or BH-5 isn't really for you. A lot of people say running on a divider doesn't effect A64's much at all. But then again a lot of other people tend to disagree. It's entirely upto you, but for the most part, people will recommend TCCD when having lower multi CPU's.

Personally, if I decide to pick up a Venice it will probably be the 3800+. In which case I'll opt for BH-5 or UTT and run a reasonable clock 1:1. But at the moment with my Winchester 3000+, I felt TCCD would be better as I could run a fairly high clock at 1:1.

Have a look around here for some failry resonable prices on RAM. http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/

Also this store does a nice price on OCZ VX PC4000, and even throw in a Booster for good measure.
    http://www.oc-wear.de/
    Thanks for the advice: that more or less tallies with what I figured. If the prices work out right then I too may go for a 3800+ but I suppose the demand may keep them v expensive for a bit. One question, you mentioned that at the moment you were running 1:1 on a winnie 3000+ but I am curious that 9*290=2610 and yet your proc speed is listed as 2.5GHz. There are gaps in my understanding of the HTT Am I misssing something?

Ta

Dave

Xtreme Member
    A typo lol, thanks for pointing that out. Just fixed that now.
    Winchester 3000+ (CBBHD 0448 SPAW) @ 2.6GHz 1.440 VCore
    DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR
    GSkill LE 2x512MB @ 290MHz 2.5-4-3-7 3.0VDIMM
    ATI Radeon X800XT @ 540/510
    PCP&C 510 Deluxe SLI
    All Stock cooling
    Saitek Gaming Keyboard + Razor Diamondback Mouse