Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DFI using 5v rail for ram not 24/7 stable?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifthanger
    I can't even get 210MHz stable with Twinmos SP running 3.2V from the 3.3V rail, while I can do 230MHz at 3.2V and 250MHz at 3.3V when running from the 5V rail.

Did someone else experience this problems?

It seems as if the 3.3V rail can't deliver that clean current than the 5V rail.
    thats because your 3.3 volt line isnt high enough to supply 3.2 volts correctly. i had the same problem then i turned my 3.3 line to 3.45 and it was rock stable at 3.2 off the 3.3@3.45 just like off teh 5v
    ________
    BDSM MOVIE
    Last edited by brandinb; 05-03-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.

I am Xtreme
    i really dont think this needs to be a sticky, weve got enough already imo.

Quote Originally Posted by S0nic
    well I finally got my VX and did some testing, I have a 80mm fan directly above the mosfets area and I find the at full load it heats up so much it's kinda scary, couldn't leave it running overnight while I was sleeping because I was afraid it would start a fire or something, I tried using the 3.3V line but that won't work, max I can get out of it is 3.2V which is not enough for my VX, do the newer revisions of this board run cooler or something? I bought it the day it came out so I have the first revision..

the lower the voltage the hotter the board gets, on the other hand your ram gets hotter with more voltage...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC2
    If you can, position your fan so it blows *across* the board, not from above it. It'll run much cooler in the Vmem regulator area that way
    that actually helped temps a lot, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    the lower the voltage the hotter the board gets, on the other hand your ram gets hotter with more voltage...
    you're right, lose lose situation, and the 3.3V can't provide a stable 3.2V for me so that's also out of question (besides I can't get 250mhz with 3.2V) I'm thinking of just ditching this stupid VX anyways since my sticks can't even do 250 2-2-2-x stable (PC4000 version) and they already screwed up my windows installation (along with all my game saves ) really bad that I can't even get into windows no matter what now, I tried the repair console and still nothing . The heat and headache generated by these sticks is just not worth it imo, TCCD is much better and more stable, I got like 50 BSOD's trying to get this stable

DAMN YOU VX!!!
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | Stock
    OCZ OC3200 EL Platinum Rev. 2 1GB kit | Stock
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with Panaflo M1A fan
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Um if it doesn't do 250 you should contact one of the very friendly and helpful ocz employees on this forum.

Xtreme Member
    I did, a little too late but I did..
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A little late? Don't those sticks have lifetime warranty?

Xtreme Member
    no i meant the corrupt windows installation
    I''ll try to exchange them for some TCCD, and reinstall everything..
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

I am Xtreme
    you need 3.3 for them to run 250....

did you try 3.4 or so off the 5v rail, 2-2-2?

and what were you thinking installing windows overclocked? should have ran 200x whatever on 2.6 2.5-3-3

i never install windows with my overclocks on, even if i already know its a stable overclock.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    you need 3.3 for them to run 250....

did you try 3.4 or so off the 5v rail, 2-2-2?

and what were you thinking installing windows overclocked? should have ran 200x whatever on 2.6 2.5-3-3

i never install windows with my overclocks on, even if i already know its a stable overclock.
    I didn't install windows overclocked, I installed it with my old TCCD and it was perfectly stable, then comes the VX and ruins everything, actually i'm pretty sure it's because the sticks are defective, when I get my TCCD back I might be able to load windows, only problem is in frustration I reformatted , I know it's was stupid of me, but I initially didn't think it was the sticks fault since I expected them to at least run DDR400 stable, oh well

btw I tried voltages ranging from 3.1-3.5 so voltage is definately not the problem, the sticks are just defective, already sent for exchange..
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

XS_THE_MACHINE
    DUDE!! how come my stupid comment lead to this sticky? well, why is it a sticky??
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krille
    DUDE!! how come my stupid comment lead to this sticky? well, why is it a sticky??
    your stupid comment? have u even posted in this thread?

I actually think it's a good idea to sticky this for a while because the heat generated from the mosfet could be dangerous for 24/7 use, it's ok for benching or maybe a little bit of gaming (preferrably with the case open) but 24/7 use is not recommended, and like DFI says "use at your own risk"
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

XS_THE_MACHINE
    your stupid comment? have u even posted in this thread?

I actually think it's a good idea to sticky this for a while because the heat generated from the mosfet could be dangerous for 24/7 use, it's ok for benching or maybe a little bit of gaming (preferrably with the case open) but 24/7 use is not recommended, and like DFI says "use at your own risk"
    I meant this thread, and yes I have (several times) if you read the thread. If you read the first post, it refers to a post in the sapphire gruper thread, which was made by me (the reason for the guy starting this thread). anyhow, that is quite unimportant, my point was that i thought it odd for this to be sticky, that's all. (sorry for the confusion.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Evil Kitty
    This is bad information to be passing off as fact.

First, Official DFI support said the jumper is indeed fine for 24/7 use. DFI Street has the linkage.
    Second, Oskar said the same thing as long as some active cooling was used
    Third, there are plenty of folks who already run this 5v jumper 24/7 just fine (including me).
    Fourth, I can't even recall a single failure as a result someone using the 5v jumper

Frankly, all the concern about the heat on the corner of the mobo where the 5v jumper is borderlines on hysteria. The pwm gets hotter and has no active cooling. The caps in the 5v area were designed to handle the temps.

No where does DFI say using the 5v jumper is "not recommended" for 24/7 use.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Enthusiast
    there is more heat produced yup. however, the design of that area, allows for tolerance of this heat buildup. otherwise they would not have included the option oskar even stated that they put high qual. caps in that area (100K life???).

and to further add, +5 is most definitely more stable then +3 is in terms of voltage. the downside is, the heat buildup.

i have run on +5 for month and a half now. no issues from it.
    Testing-
    ---
    DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH - 1/16 Beta
    ---
    Phenom II X4 940 (CACVC AC 0850BPDW), 3.82GHZ (19x201) @ 1.46v (+150mv), NB: 2.61GHZ (x13) @ 1.3375v (11), HT: 2.61GHZ, PCI-E: 101MHZ, CPU: P-1 state
    ---
    OCZ Reaper, 2x2GB @ 2.015v, MaxMemClk-1066-5-5-5-15-20-195x4, DDR2-536, Tony's 1066 Phenom SPD
    ---
    Corsair HX620, Swiftech 2xMCR120-QP + MCRES-Micro, MCP-655, Vortex XP (D-tek Fuzion v1), 1/2"

Xtreme Member
    First of all one month and a half is hardly enough time to say that no damage is being done to the board, also DFI says "use at your own risk" which implies that this could cause trouble and that it isn't covered by warranty, also u don't just need active cooling on that area, u need a very well ventilated case to keep system temps reasonable. What kind of cases are u using the 5V rail in 24/7?
    it might be possible to use the 5V rail 24/7 for months without problems, but it's definately not recommended, even by DFI employees, that's why I think this thread is worth stickying, because not all people might want to take that risk, I wish the board had a better way of delivering more vdimm to the ram..

I personally prefer TCCD over UTT/BH-5 because it can give the same performance using less voltage = less heat = quiter system & longer life, at least until there is a better way of delivering vdimm.

my 2¢..
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Xtreme Enthusiast
    your right 1 month and a half is not enough time to incur any damage. i go by the presumption that they have tested it thoroughly and if breakage happens, they will warranty it.
    Testing-
    ---
    DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH - 1/16 Beta
    ---
    Phenom II X4 940 (CACVC AC 0850BPDW), 3.82GHZ (19x201) @ 1.46v (+150mv), NB: 2.61GHZ (x13) @ 1.3375v (11), HT: 2.61GHZ, PCI-E: 101MHZ, CPU: P-1 state
    ---
    OCZ Reaper, 2x2GB @ 2.015v, MaxMemClk-1066-5-5-5-15-20-195x4, DDR2-536, Tony's 1066 Phenom SPD
    ---
    Corsair HX620, Swiftech 2xMCR120-QP + MCRES-Micro, MCP-655, Vortex XP (D-tek Fuzion v1), 1/2"

Xtreme Member
    I don't remember where I saw the "use at your own risk", might be confusing it with something else, can anyone confirm if damage caused from using the 5V rail is covered by warranty?
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Evil Kitty
    Sonic, with all due respect you read like a house on fire.

Read the thread again, your answers are within.

DFI does NOT say "use at your own risk" in reference to the mobo itself
    DFI does NOT say that using the 5v jumper 24/7 is not recommended
    DFI does NOT say using the 5v jumper voids your warranty

Where are you getting this from? How about some links?

Head over to DFI street were you WILL get the official word from DFI. And that word is that you can use the 5v jumper 24/7. It is only recommended that you use active cooling. Furthermore, any failures caused by using the 5v jumper is waranteed. This is per DFI.

Please stop presenting your opinion as fact. I've personally discussed this issue with Vivian at length via email and I tend to beleive her (a senior DFI USA employee).

EDIT - I checked with Vivian again. The only thing they are referring to when they say use at your own risk is damage that can be caused to the CPU or RAM using high voltages. This is no different than any other mobo with OC options. The mobo is fully warranteed.
    Last edited by mdzcpa; 04-05-2005 at 03:32 PM.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    DFI does NOT say "use at your own risk" in reference to the mobo itself
    I guess I misunderstood them, thought they meant using it could damage the mobo..

DFI does NOT say using the 5v jumper voids your warranty
    I didn't say it did, that's why I asked in my post right before yours..

Furthermore, any failures caused by using the 5v jumper is waranteed. This is per DFI.
    I can't find this in dfi-street, could u provide a link? or was it Vivian that said that?

Please stop presenting your opinion as fact.
    I didn't present any of my opinions as facts (at least that wasn't my intention), I might've misunderstood a few things if what u're telling me is true, but that isn't my fault, they could've worded things better, my point is that using the 5V rail generates a ridiculous amount of heat that could be harmful to more than one component of a computer. RAM that requires high voltages usually generates a lot of heat, so the last thing u need when using it is another component generating even more heat. I hear the ATI board won't have this problem, that means that DFI could've done this differently..
    after using the 5V in my rig for about 1 hour full load the side panel of my case heated up a lot so I got worried and opened it, everything inside was really hot, btw my case is a coolermaster wavemaster with 2 80mm intake and 2 80mm exhaust (plus XP-120 cooling ram and 80mm fan cooling mosfet), what kind of case can u run ur setup for using the 5V rail 24/7?
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Xtreme Member

death of a ram line?

Ive been running my ram on the orange line for a month or so at 3.3V 255fsb cas 1.5 with a 80mm fan blowing right on the mosfet. Today, it started crashing in games. Then after a while, i couldnt get windows to boot, its crash after the initial loading screen to a blue screen that said something about memory (no time to read it)

I clocked all the way down to 200mhz cas 2 at 3.1v and it was still no go, so i decided to switch from orange to yellow line.

Seems to be running okay, it booted back to 250mhz cas 1.5 and ran spi8mb.
    Im gonna hold off >3.2vdimm for now. Im not saying thats what caused it but maybe ill wait a couple of weeks to see others experience this problem.

Evil Kitty
    I can't find this in dfi-street, could u provide a link? or was it Vivian that said that?
    All of my above comments were based on direct email exchanges with DFI support and Vivian.

I didn't present any of my opinions as facts
    Well, I am addressing the way you presented your post in which you clearly indicated that "DFI says use at you own risk" and that "it might be possible to use the 5V rail 24/7 for months without problems, but it's definately not recommended, even by DFI employees". This just isn't true.

I apologize for "jumping on you" if you feel that way at all. Its just very important that we do not put representations into the mouths of vendors which they did not make. Less experienced members will mistake your "understanding" as official DFI communications.

That said, I agree with you that the heat is an issue some may feel uncomfortable about. But many are running 24/7 just fine with the jumper and zero failures have been reported. That's not to say that there is enough voltage available to fry your memory...which is why they say use at your own risk.

BTW, I use a simple plain jane no name case for my daily rig. LOL....I just moved back to Gskill TCCD from the OCZ VX I was using because running all that voltage to get TCCD type results with the VX wasn't worth it
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    sorry for the way I presented my post, just didn't want ppl to go through what I had to go through, was very frustrated...I hope DFI addresses this issue on their later revisions of the board if possible..

I just moved back to Gskill TCCD from the OCZ VX I was using because running all that voltage to get TCCD type results with the VX wasn't worth it
    I did the same thing, switched back to my good old OCZ Plat. Rev. 2
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailleur
    Ive been running my ram on the orange line for a month or so at 3.3V 255fsb cas 1.5 with a 80mm fan blowing right on the mosfet. Today, it started crashing in games. Then after a while, i couldnt get windows to boot, its crash after the initial loading screen to a blue screen that said something about memory (no time to read it)
    Same thing happened to me with the VX after only 2 days, except I didn't think of switching to yellow, I thought it was a problem with the ram not the mobo, I hope no damage was done to the slots, but if so then I guess I can just use the yellow slots when my TCCD arrives (tomorrow)
    OCZ PowerStream 520W
    eVGA 6600GT | Stock

Xtreme Member
    Yellow ones are working just fine (up to now anyway) Ill try the orange ones again tomorrow morning, see if the hardware godmother fixes it during the night.

Well to follow up, i noticed when i got back to the bios that the memory option were as if the 5v jumper wasnt set (it was) and i was stuck at 3.2v.

Shutdown the pc, switched the 5v jumper back and forth from on to off back to on and the vdimm options came back. Weird stuff.
    Last edited by Ailleur; 04-07-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast