Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DFI using 5v rail for ram not 24/7 stable?

Xtreme Member

DFI using 5v rail for ram not 24/7 stable?

I read something about this in the ATi mobo thread and figured id ask...

Someone posted about how the DFI is not 24/7 stable using the 5v rail for vdimm, and that DFI recommends using the 3.3v rail for everyday use. Is there any truth in this statement? Do we just need to actively cool that heatsink with a 40-60mm fan, or is it really really bad to run it like that? Reason i ask is i use BH-5, and i need the high volts and i dont know one person that runs at stock speeds 24/7. Why would DFI put that feature on their boards and claim great overclockability, but not allow that OC to stay functional and stable for more than a few hours?

Someone please say that its okay to run the ram off the 5v line with active cooling and be stable 24/7

-Zach

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I believe, that some might be concerned because of the heat generated by switching to 5v rail. But, we won't know for sure since this board has been in the market for such a short period of time.

I've been running my DFI NF4 with switched vdimm supply for over a week now @ 3.1v on my TCCD. I know what you're gonna say now - I was just too lazy to switch it back to 3.3v supply after I tested my BH-5.
    I have 2 80mm fans is blowing around dimm sockets area and mosfets. It's being almost 4 days under continous, 100% LOAD, crunching D2OL ( like folding, if you're not familiar ) and it's doing great so far.
    Time will tell

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I heat sink the mosfets of any mobos I get, and I recommend people do the same for their boards (if they don't come 'sinked), no matter the heat or lack of heat they think the mosfets generate. It probably won't hurt to cool them.

Having said that, it would be stupid of DFI to release a board with a 5V-fed VDIMM circuit that would burn itself out in 6 months.
    7700k @ 5.0GHz
    ASUS Z170-Deluxe
    2x8GB Avexir Raiden DDR4-3000 15-15-15-35
    Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti @ 2076/1500(6000)
    512GB Samsung PM961 + 840 Pro 256GB + some TBs
    Corsair AX1200i
    X-Star DP2710LED @ 110Hz + 40" Samsung TV

CPU and GPU under water: 9x120 rad + 3x120 + 3x120

...and an HTC Vive!

Xtreme Member
    is folding stressing your cpu enough to call it a stabletest???? i know even though CS 1.6 uses 100% usage it doesnt really stress the cpu a lot....(someone tried to tell me why, but got to technically) BUT hl.exe actually freezes pretty fast if the system isnt stable....and thats a pretty funny way to test
    E3110//4,1Ghz @ Asus Rampage x48 cooled by NorthQ Siberian Tiger
    Mushkin 2*2GB pc8000| Gf 8800GTS-512
    OCZ 600W | samsung 226BW | logitech G15
    Speedlink medusa 5.1 | MS Habu@nova killer

Xtreme Member
    You absolutely DO need to actively cool it when using the 5v rail, it gets burning hot after an hour of half life 2. As for long term stability, we ll be set the day boards start to go up in smoke!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by [G.N.U.]Fragman
    is folding stressing your cpu enough to call it a stabletest????
    I can tell you one thing I don't remember how it was with FAH client (folding). It's been a while since I have run it... BUT.

My DFI NF4 / Winnie 3200+ (Prime95 stable up to 2670MHz under current conditions) have been running @ 290x9=2610MHz DDR580 7-3-3-2.5-1T under 100% LOAD for 96hrs now. Before that I have it set to 293x9, same timmings on mems, same volts. D2OL client crushed after 21st hour

You've got the answer now...
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 03-20-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Well it comes sinked...should i peel it off and apply AS5 and a fan? Or should i put some of these copper ramsinks to use with AS5 for even better cooling?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by boostdfd3s
    Well it comes sinked...should i peel it off and apply AS5 and a fan? Or should i put some of these copper ramsinks to use with AS5 for even better cooling?
    I don't think it's worth the effort... I'm not even sure if it's any easy to remove them at all...
    Just put some fan in that area and you should be OK... No need for overkill

Xtreme Member
    no need for overkill?! *looks around* i thought i was on XS.org

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no need for overkill?! *looks around* i thought i was on XS.org
    If it's not neccesary then what's the point ???

Xtreme Member
    Well, ill pull the 40mm fans off my Super Talent memory cooler job since im replacing those with 60mm's, and do a push-pull setup on the mosfet, and then monitor the temps with my digidoc5+....finally get to use one more of the 35378353 channels, lol

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Been running my RAM off of the 5v line on the DFI board for about a week now and I've gotten no stability problems and that area doesn't even get very warm, of course I do have a 120mm fan pointed at that area though so I bet that helps...

Xtreme Member
    Has anyone had to RMA a board due to this yet? Have there been any statements from DFI or any fine print that states using the 5V line will void the warranty similar to the Abit secret Fatality bios?

Exqueeze me, bit bleary eyed

--- Bachus ---

In general, define "necessary" Lower temp = longer life...

--- boost ---

Don't look too close, someone may be gaining on you

Just an FYI... the heatsinks used by DFI on the NF4 MBs are soldered to the MB... not easily removed. That having been said, with a fan blowing across the stock Vmem heatsink it stays relatively cool. But... it is XtremeSystems, so you might want to think about putting a prommy on that puppy

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Have there been any statements from DFI or any fine print that states using the 5V line will void the warranty...
    Are you serious now??? Why would that be if they put it there in the first place ???
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC2
    --- Bachus ---

In general, define "necessary" Lower temp = longer life...
    You seem not to know how much heat-tolerant mosfets are...

Most are 150C, some 175C... doesn't change the fact that cooler temps = longer MTBF

I am Xtreme
    well i really hope this board lasts 25 years so im not going to run off the 5v...

while im sure the life will be longer, the fets are made to run that hot, and as long as its stable its cool enough in my book to live until im done with (ive never had anything die from heat, only be unstable from it)

i mean, it just doesnt make sense to me for dfi to use mosfets that arent capable of running 24/7, sure its hotter, which is why dfi insists you cool them, but they shouldnt die from it.

Good one That's why I said "in general"... but run it with no cooling on the 5V rail for a week with Vmem set to 3V

Didn't intend to imply the reg circuit would die from using stock HS and cooling with a fan bro Notice my comment that they run relatively cool with a fan as is. Just something about the word "necessary"...
    Last edited by EMC2; 03-20-2005 at 09:18 PM. Reason: highlighted word "no"

been running mine off the 5v at 3.4v since the day i got my board, no problems so far
    A64 3200+ 2.65ghz | 2x512 OCZ VX 265mhz | Connect3D x850xt PE 680/650 | DFI NF4-Ultra

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    i mean, it just doesnt make sense to me for dfi to use mosfets that arent capable of running 24/7, sure its hotter, which is why dfi insists you cool them, but they shouldnt die from it.
    I agree. Most likely the solder will come of before they die.

Had an old Technics amp a few years ago. With 2 PA-speakers AND a pair of Kirksaeter Hi-Fi speakers it got pretty hot. 3-4 Hours with Volume @ 70+% did the trick. Music went quiet and the red protect light went on. When I opened it the solder on the mosfets were gone and i could lift them rigt of the PBC.
    Resoldered them and everything worked just fine

----

boostdfd3s: Applying AS5 to mosfets is a total waste of AS5 and your time. The amount of heat they produce per square inch is nothing compared to a CPU. In fact.. with a low-speed 80mm fan @ 5-7v over them, the sinks wouldn´t even be needed.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    If your system is stable and smoke ain't coming out of your case - no worry. However, if you experience stability issues or insane temps you don't think are very healthy, you better switch back to 3.3v or put some active cooling over the mosfets.

Going by the 5v rail 24/7 is not recommended (without proper cooling), but it might work out just fine in your case (or with newer bios).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Member
    I have only installed a 40mm fan over the DRAM mosfet and my system was stable for many days running DRAM at 3.6V. I'm at TCCD now and switched the jumpers back.

Support Metal!

Xtreme Member
    alrighty then...looks like two 40mm fans will take care of it. Was thinking of more extreme measures after seeing the ATi board's watercooled mosfets. *shrug*

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC2
    Good one That's why I said "in general"... but run it with no cooling on the 5V rail for a week with Vmem set to 3V

Didn't intend to imply the reg circuit would die from using stock HS and cooling with a fan bro Notice my comment that they run relatively cool with a fan as is. Just something about the word "necessary"...
    ahh i re-read, i took your post out of contest... it seems we agree, if the board is running cool enough, it will live long enough

No worries bro "it" happens

I really did get a good chuckle from the 25 year thing.

Peace

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast