Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3Dmark2001 coming to an End??

Overclocking Guru

3Dmark2001 coming to an End??

Looks like a big discussion over at Futuremark about 3D2001.

Doesn't look good, looks to me that they will be droping it off of the Orb when they come out with their next benchmark. I predict it will be gone within the next 6 months.

http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/...&o=0&fpart=all

OPP

Live Long And Overclock
    As long as it stays on long enough for us to watch u bench with an R520, OPP, it'll be worth it

I really dont mind, I think we're coming of age in respect to dependance on cpu power alone for vid cards and 03 and 05 are better for comparo's so I dont mind

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    These guys are probably ending it cause most of them doesnt have the cpu power to keep up with the guru´s :hehe...
    I´ll say keep it alive whatever the cost..
    "M-I-A"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hope that we can keep a "third party" '01 orb going when Nvidia err I mean Futuremark do manage to lay 3Dmark01 to rest.

It's the only decent benchmark out of the three imo.
    £58.73 - This is the amount of money a loyal customer is worth to Overclockers.co.uk

Beware of buying from overclockers.co.uk, they will swindle you by abusing the consumer law if they need to refund you for faulty hardware. Thieving gits

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I AGREE that FM should scrap '01.......

ONLY IF!!!! it is to be replaced with a new 3DMark benchie that gauges the power of CPU + GPU + MEMORY SUBSYSTEM kinda like use 2 or 3 dx7 tests, a couple dx8 tests and a couple dx9 tests....
    C

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even when they finally do quit maintaining the 2K1 ORB, I will be posting screenshots of my scores instead

Redline 3D Socket 754 = 40,179
    Retired

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Considering it was what gave me the overclocking bug in the first place and has cost me a lot in money, effort and sleepless, cold nights; It would almost seem like a betrayal to drop '01.

03 and 05 simply cannot replace it as a proper full system test.
    £58.73 - This is the amount of money a loyal customer is worth to Overclockers.co.uk

Beware of buying from overclockers.co.uk, they will swindle you by abusing the consumer law if they need to refund you for faulty hardware. Thieving gits

Xtreme Member
    If they stop maintaining 3DMark2001 in a couple of months, I think there will be a very, very interesting race to see who can get the highest score ever.

Nonetheless that doesn't mean I think this would be a good thing. 3DMark2001 is a great allround benchmark to test the full capabilities of your CPU, RAM and GPU.

Xtreme Member
    That would be a sad day unless FM brings out a newer better version of 01.
    :: Q6600 GO 2.4Ghz :: 2x Sapphire HD 3870 Crossfire ::
    :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl w/ onboard 2GB DDR3 Turbo D3 ::

:: X2 4200+ Manchester :: 2x Evga 7900gt signature series ::
    :: DFI LanParty UT nf4 SLI-DR Expert :: GSKILL 2GB(1GBx2) PC4000 HZ ::
    :: Chilly1 Single Stage ::

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    I think the streets would run red if FM pulled '01 off the ORB. But if FM doesnt keep it current to support upcoming technolgy, it may be a moot point anyway.
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Lusitanian
    Quote Originally Posted by bias_hjorth
    These guys are probably ending it cause most of them doesnt have the cpu power to keep up with the guru´s :hehe...
    I´ll say keep it alive whatever the cost..
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    I AGREE that FM should scrap '01.......

ONLY IF!!!! it is to be replaced with a new 3DMark benchie that gauges the power of CPU + GPU + MEMORY SUBSYSTEM kinda like use 2 or 3 dx7 tests, a couple dx8 tests and a couple dx9 tests....
    C
    ditto, my thoughts the same
    Mother Tongue speaks to me in the strangest way I ever seen, I know she sees in me the proudest child ... virando costas ao mundo orgulhosamente sos, gloria antiga volta a nos" - MOONSPELL
    Who are you to criticize, to judge and burn the tribes, the world will be extinct and your flesh will rot with mine - SEPULTURA

XS WCG

Xtreme Addict
    tbh, i only benchmark 2k1 because so many people here sweat it. i think the benchmark is extremely outdated and is becoming totally cpu dependant. i bench aquamark3 and '03, 05 more.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

Xtreme Addict
    I think before they go killing what made them what they are today, they better come out with a REALLY nice bench. Something like charlie is describing sounds good...

well personally just because they stop the hall of fame on their webby doesnt mean that XS can open its own version where you use screenshots to prove your score, with the FPS showing aswell and system specs with cpu-z open along with something showing GPU oc

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    ONLY IF!!!! it is to be replaced with a new 3DMark benchie that gauges the power of CPU + GPU + MEMORY SUBSYSTEM
    Sound like 3DMark03 combined with SuperPi to me

DFI NF4 Ultra-D @ 300HTT | A64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.4GHz 1.61V | 4x256MB BH-5 (HyperX+CorsairXMS) @ 240MHz 2-2-2-5 3.1V | Club3D X800XL ViVo @ 452/540 | XP-90 | 92mm Tornado | Silencer5 | Enermax 460W | 2k1: 30419

Xtreme Enthusiast
    people seem to be defending it....i wonder if futuremark cares

Overclocking Guru
    Since Futuremark doesn't want it, maybe they should just give it XS. We can rename and Host it

OPP

This sucks ...but I knew it was coming eventually.
    The benchmark might not have any relavance to todays games, but it's a big deal to me and prolly the other guys going for top spots.
    03' and 05' are no fun and too gpu dependant.
    I have no motivation to run either.

We need a 3d benchmark that is equally balanced on cpu, gpu, and memory subystem. Makes it so much more fun to squeeze every last point out of your rig.

I think 2k1 is more interesting to bench than 03 or 05.

The CPU impact allows for a much greater level of tweaking than on the others. There are also more OS and other tweaks.

I also find the standard issues of 03 and 05 less helpfull, you cant run individual tests or change resolution or anything.

For those of us with 9X00 cards or worse 03 and 05 are 90% down to your graphics overclock. There isnt much to tweak after that, so they are less interesting.

It will be a shame to see 2k1 go, but its had a damned good run.

XS D2OL & RAM News
    Quote Originally Posted by µnrealneo²
    XtremeMark 2001SE
    Now that would be nice, I say keep 01, its still a great benchmark!

jjcom

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OPPAINTER
    Since Futuremark doesn't want it, maybe they should just give it XS. We can rename and Host it

OPP

You do have a good point there .. Although I think it would probably cost about an arm and a leg..
    "M-I-A"

Maybe but which forum has the majority of the members that spend their time at the top... XS, im sure if someone got in contact with them, they would be able to come to some agreement

XS Local
    i dont see why they have to drop it. IMHO People only run 03 and 05 dude to its better graphics..

ive always liked 01, and as many sleepless nights it gave me, i'll miss it very much

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    I wouldn't mind if they dropped 2001se... but only if they replaced it with something that actually tests your system as a whole and not just one component.

testing the videocard only tells me nothing about how the videocard affects the systems as a whole, cause if I went by Futuremarks 2005 it would seem like a AMD XP with X850XT PE is just as good as a FX 55 with a X850XT PE, which in the real world just isn't true.

we can all figure out what videocard is best without a benchmark.
    thats not the problem.

the problem is having a benchmark that shows real world performance increases with whatever your CPU Ram and Motherboard are.

3Dmark 2005 does this to almost no degree.
    and while 3dmark2003 is getting better with the faster CPUs... it's still not much to replace 2001se.

futuremark needs to stop focusing on one part of the PC and realize that the PC is a whole, not a part.
    make me a benchmark that uses everything, not just one thing...

unless they do this... it's gonna be a sad day indeed for benchmarking with graphic cards.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Member
    This is why I am really starting to like Aquamark3. lol
    :: Q6600 GO 2.4Ghz :: 2x Sapphire HD 3870 Crossfire ::
    :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl w/ onboard 2GB DDR3 Turbo D3 ::

:: X2 4200+ Manchester :: 2x Evga 7900gt signature series ::
    :: DFI LanParty UT nf4 SLI-DR Expert :: GSKILL 2GB(1GBx2) PC4000 HZ ::
    :: Chilly1 Single Stage ::

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast