Thread: PiLsY's mod for Prometeia/P4's is up

Thumbs up PiLsY's mod for Prometeia/P4's is up

Just posted up PiLsY's guide to improving contact pressure on the Prometeia when using the P4 CPU.

PiLsY's Prometeia Mod guide

Enjoy my friends !!

Randi
    Last edited by MrIcee; 11-29-2002 at 09:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I achieved much the same by packing some extra washers under the springs, increases the pressure A LOT same drop in evap but no voided warranty

BTW I used 3 fibre washers...0.5mm each for 1.5 mm extra pressure...

The seal string between evap head and base is micro thin now...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    My OCHW ReviewsPrometeia Cooled XP2700+ @ 13x211mhz 2.75Ghz Epox 8RDA+ 2x3500xms Corsair Cas2

Xtreme Member
    Nice job on the mod and the article Pilsy!

Questions though...

I don't have a Prommie (or a P4),

Is there a plate on the bottom of the mobo?

Are you worried about board flex?

Technician
    Nope the width of the plate spreads the load evenly enough for it not to flex the mobo at all .

Any comments positive or negative appreciated - my first review/article .

Cheers Randi .

PiLsY.

Xtreme Member
    Great review, lotsa clear pics...

More info on the Heatspreader removal would been good wid pics as well...

Nice job pilsy...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    My OCHW ReviewsPrometeia Cooled XP2700+ @ 13x211mhz 2.75Ghz Epox 8RDA+ 2x3500xms Corsair Cas2

Technician
    Thats coming later hence its not mentioned .

Few bugs with that being ironed out. Before you try it I should let you know that it seems the P4 uses the heatspreader as a temperature buffer between cooling and cpu. Basically it stores a bit of heat from the cpu and cold from the cooling to even out temperature differentials across the cpu. Symptoms are crashes coming off load and eventually the core separating from the cpu (I §§§§ you not - one dead 1.8a). Im experimenting with different coldplates (materials and thicknesses) to find out how to get it working completely bug free.

At the moment it looks like a 3.5mm thick silver coldplate is the way to go for a nice balance of performance and safety.

Anyway, thats for a new article.

PiLsY.

Xtreme Member
    Ah /me okay now, Onto AMD chips again... well for time being anyway...

Got some mobos coming to review and they are P4...

gah...

Xtreme Member
    respect Pilsy! you never miss to amaze me more and more... I was condident you knew your stuff but this keeps getting better and better mate :0

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I have a complaint and a pat on the back !

The complaint is that that the original Prommie cooling rig was more or less the first one out of the box that didn't threaten crushing the core, or other disaster, for numbskulls like me. Now you suggest a slight adaption that numbskulls like me will fall for, just because we think everyone else is doing it

So that's $ for the 3GHz P4 plus $ for the Prommie, now just get out your flick knife ....

The pat on the back goes for a great article for the non numbskulls. Really well planned out for people wanting to follow this route.

Now. must forget this article, must forget this article ...

Nice job Pilsy.

Regards

Andy

Andy

As you are probably aware, the crushing of CPU cores has been primarily reserved for AMD's where the core is exposed, whereas the the P4 is normally protected by the heatspreader it is manufactured with, which protects it from being crushed. Although PiLsY's P4 is heat spreaderless ,his article clearly is just a mod for more pressure on the CPU and does not suggest removing the heatspreader which would increase the risk of crushing the core. As long as your heatspreader is left intact I believe there is little risk of crushing the core

Randi

Xtreme Member
    yeah prommies dont crush cores, I just clamped mine down well tight on an AMD and np whatsoever...

as I say 3 fibre washers on the screws....

ownage

boughetto overclocker
    Heh this is the third prom review on XS :P Silliness.
    Dinosaurs are chortling.
    Lian Li PC1200B, Custom Water Cooling, Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller w/ 4x 120mmx38 Deltas
    i7 930 @ 3.8ghz, Rampage III Extreme, 12GB G.Skill PC2000, BFG 260GTXOC, PNY Quadro 380FX
    (1) HP LP2475w 24", (2) Dell 2007WFP 20", Corsair AX1200 1200w, 3Ware 9650SE Raid
    (2) 500gb Hybrid Seagate Raid 1, (2) 2TB WD Red NAS 64mb Raid 1, (5) 1TB Hitachi 32mb Raid 5

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by sysfailur
    hehe good point well made sys, you think theres some sucking up going on???

Technician
    lol - I only wish it was that easy . My prometia is 100% paid for and hard earned. Course I wouldnt mind a free one but I doubt ill get anything like that by writing void your warranty guides .

If anyones got any warranty concerns btw, to the best of my knowledge this mod infact DOESNT void your warranty as its not modding the prometia unit itself, just the retention clip. Even so, its not something for everyone. you have to be slightly "loose" upstairs I suppose to take a £550 piece of equipment and start filing bits off it . Still, onwards and upwards.

PiLsY.

Xtreme Addict
    nice info and pics posted pilsy m8 and well written as well not all tekkie and one everyone can understand even people who are wanting santa to bring them one and havent even seen exactly how a prommie fits to motherboard .... well they know now .... like you mine was hard earned .... although ive done some of what you said already will try others with next board as im gonna give my xp2700 a turn in it shortly ... well done

Originally posted by sysfailur
    sys, this wasn't a review...lol

Modding article which I'm know at this point Chip-con has frowned upon.

Randi

Technician
    Pfft well what do they expect? They cant tempt us with -40c evap temps and not expect us to try and get our cpus that low can they? Tish pershaw nonsense i say! :p.

In all seriousness though, bear in mind that you are doing something to a very precise piece of kit manufatured within incredible tolerances. The hermetic cell is perhaps the most important part of the prometia and a mistake here can cost you some serious dollar. Its not something to be undertaken lightly. In this respect I can see where they are coming from as people messing up this mod could cause some very serious harm to their company reputation.

PiLsY.

Xtreme X.I.P.

Wink Right PiLsY

Originally posted by PiLsY
    Pfft well what do they expect? They cant tempt us with -40c evap temps and not expect us to try and get our cpus that low can they? Tish pershaw nonsense i say! :p.

In all seriousness though, bear in mind that you are doing something to a very precise piece of kit manufatured within incredible tolerances. The hermetic cell is perhaps the most important part of the prometia and a mistake here can cost you some serious dollar. Its not something to be undertaken lightly. In this respect I can see where they are coming from as people messing up this mod could cause some very serious harm to their company reputation.

PiLsY.
    I think chip-con have susses now, but they try to keep it simpel.
    They could easily make the Prometeia better at this point, but it vill be more expensive, and more complikated.

fx you can change the coling agent to 404 or half 134a and half propane. But propane is dangerus, it can burn and even explode.
    The capasity of the cooling agent will improve about 50% and the temp vill drop below -60. The Prometeia might not last so long, and they vill get complain and bad reputation.

I am sure you vill make some more artikel of how to "improve" the Prometeia.

As JC Viggen always print:

"Reading this will void your computer's warranty."

I will ad:

"Your modded Prommy might explode under the table"

Best OC Regards

Tom Holck
    Denmark
    The Homeland of Prometeia
    Last edited by Tom Holck; 11-30-2002 at 02:18 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    Pfft well what do they expect? They cant tempt us with -40c evap temps and not expect us to try and get our cpus that low can they?
    True M8.

Like the guide, usefull tips there.

I think that Chip-Con should grateful to us for helping them develop their "new product" for them. When a new version of Prometeia comes out it'll incorporate some of the fixes that we have suggested or fix some of the problems that we have spotted.

They should really give us free Prometeias to play with to help them develop their range .

One serious problem, for example, is the lack of cooling capacity, shown by the rise in temp during a 3DMark Test (up to 10C) in just seconds.
    Last edited by Hiwayman; 11-30-2002 at 02:42 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    [quote]fx you can change the coling agent to 404 or half 134a and half propane. But propane is dangerus, it can burn and even explode.
    The capasity of the cooling agent will improve about 50% and the temp vill drop below -60. The Prometeia might not last so long, and they vill get complain and bad reputation.[quote]

I different and improved temp sensor setup could avoid this without "overcooling" reducing the product life, but still allow some people to "overclock" their prommies if they wanted.

Propane woulld cause problems with shipment of the product to some countries, like maybe the US?