Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: amd dual core preview

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    here you go

hmmm yeah, but if its done right a larger shared bus could be faster because you save bandwidth for data that both cpus need at the same time, no?
    In a word, no Percentage of time same data needed for both CPUs at the same time... very small ... percentage time CPUs waiting on each other to get the heck out of the way... significantly larger

EMC2 ahhhh so thats an arbiter... you explained it really well, no need for a pic i think the dma example is pefect, the arbiter is like having two hdds hooked on one bus, as slave and master drive, while the crossbar is like having both hdds hooked up in raid0 more or less...
    Hmmmm... sorta, kinda I had already gen'd up a pic for the arbitrated shared bus before I read this, so you have to suffer thru it anyway

Peace

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthogonal
    I like that idea and it makes sense. The only reason they are scaling down the core frequencies in the first place is that it's much harder to guarantee two cores that are fabbed right next to each other to have a particular speed bin. It is very likely that when they are making one of these dual core processors rated at 2.4 Ghz, one of them runs just fine at that speed but one barely manages 2.0 Ghz. So they would have to speed bin it down to a 2.0Ghz processor. If this ever happens to be the case, it would be hard to implement what you say as the OS would have to know if one or both of the particular cores are capable of OCing for a single thread.
    well the cores could be tested indepndantly by amd and speed binned independantly by amd, IF they implement an indepndant clock signal for each core

Quote Originally Posted by trance565
    lol, linux will get taht done really quick im sure lol, 6 months b4 windows mebbe? but ya, that would be a sweet concept
    nah, linux would have support 6 months after the feature has been anounced to be integrated into future cpus, and will be ready at release of the cpu that features this, while windows would have support ready when the NEXT generation after the cpu that first supported the feature comes out

and EMC2, sweet pic! heres some more money:

well the cores could be tested indepndantly by amd and speed binned independantly by amd, IF they implement an indepndant clock signal for each core
    FYI... which wouldn't happen without a socket change Remember that the dual-cores are suppose to be "drop-in" replacements for current CPUs.

EMC2, sweet pic! heres some more money:
    Save your for a dual-core later this year.

Here's one like the thread topic Saya. If I ever make it back over to your side of the pond you can buy me a cup of java.

Peace
    Last edited by EMC2; 04-04-2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Err in img

Xtreme X.I.P.
    @ EMC2

You provide very through information here...
    I just can't help asking you what you do for a living or what is your background? Sorry, If I dig too deep

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC2
    If I ever make it back over to your side of the pond you can buy me a cup of java.
    not some good fresh german beer?

Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    You provide very through information here...
    hehehe... sorry, long story dealing with the "thorough" part, reminded me of a recent conversation at work... you sure you haven't talked to someone I have worked with or for ?

I just can't help asking you what you do for a living or what is your background? Sorry, If I dig too deep
    Understandable Q... no need to apologize Michal It's one of my least favorite topics (me) for conversation... but... will require PMs, YGPM.

--- Saaya ---

Come one bro, no tempting

*momentarily drifts off down memory lane*

Maybe one... a nice cold glass boot full during Octoberfest

Excuse my rustiness, has been a while... Ich wohne in Wehen für 3 Jahre, sehr vernarrte Gedachtnisse

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC2

Come one bro, no tempting

*momentarily drifts off down memory lane*

Maybe one... a nice cold glass boot full during Octoberfest

Excuse my rustiness, has been a while... Ich wohne in Wehen für 3 Jahre, sehr vernarrte Gedachtnisse
    im def going to this years octoberfest, lemme know when and where and you get your beer

Xtreme Addict
    What I want to see is how badly the dual core Opteron with NUMA spanks the dual core Xeon...the Opterons should be delivering quite the beating considering AMD's Hypertransport technology and the four cores vying for bandwidth.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens
    What I want to see is how badly the dual core Opteron with NUMA spanks the dual core Xeon...the Opterons should be delivering quite the beating considering AMD's Hypertransport technology and the four cores vying for bandwidth.
    you mean a dual socket dual core board?

Xtreme Member
    you mean a dual socket dual core board?
    Wouldn't that be something, the board would have to be HUGE though... that's a lot of memory it would have to hold.

Xtreme Member
    Now that the prelim "preview" results are all over the net regarding intels dual core chips, how do you guys thing the AMD dual cores will fare in comparison? At least they wont require another socket change. I'm personally betting that AMD might be able to squeeze more mhz out of their chips than intel initially due to the AMDs running with less wattage/heat to begin with. Intel was kind of running at the edge of meltdown to begin with, so sticking 2 chips on 1 die is only pushing that even closer IMO.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthogonal
    Wouldn't that be something, the board would have to be HUGE though... that's a lot of memory it would have to hold.
    you can use dual core opterons in any socket 940 mainboard... so you can use any dual socket 940 board and slap in dual core opterons, thats what he meant i think? a dual socket numa board with dual core chips in it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234