Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: kayls Autocascade rev2

-100C Club Member

kayls Autocascade rev2

well this one is going to be smaller.
    will test it with 1/2Hp for now. i know how to use co2 now after playing with cascades.
    im going to stick with the old hx
    just insulate it properly.
    i plan to be making a 40mm evap and maybe a 30mm evap for testing cpu the gpu cooler. i cant wait.

one hx is done i will only have to insulate dd evap suction line and maybe about 30cm of suction line. i like this design, very little losses.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autocascade.jpg 
Views:	1674 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	26146  
    Last edited by kayl; 03-07-2005 at 05:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    cant wait to see it. i'm just waiting for some co2 to get here so i can charge my autocascade. it's also nice and small.

Xtreme Member
    Nice heat exchanger. Is this going to be the same principle co2 chamber that Jan is also using? This will make really cool gpu cooler.

-100C Club Member
    Foot cant wait to see ya autocascade. Co2 will bring ya some fun.

windstorm Im not sure exactly how jans hx works, but assume it similar to other hxs being designed for autocascade. I have 3 sets of pipes in there.
    Co2 condenser pipe, shell r290 boils in and I also pass the suction line through there.
    It’s the one out of the first autocascade hx,
    I just attacked it with a pipe bender to make it smaller, will insulate it the same way as I did the cascade.

good work man, looks great!

Xtreme Member
    i'll post some pics when i get hold of a camera, just for you Kayl

Xtreme Addict
    hey kayl, that looks pretty small for a 1/2hp compressor, what make is it? might just be the perspective though.

I'm working on finding a used rotary compressor so I can fix my autocascade.. 1/4hp doesnt cut it with co2.

-100C Club Member
    thanxs scout55, foot l like pics i cant wait.

gkiing it is small very quiet. would make a perfect cooler, if i can get it to run autocascade.
    i wish i had 2 of these compressors, could have 2 side by side.

Brand: L'unite Hermetique
    Modell:CAE2420Z
    Cyl Volume: 12.50cm3
    Capacity at -35: 257w
    Capacity at -30: 349w
    Low temp R404A @ -10c suction it will move 2000 Btu.
    Weight: 13kg

im starting to like pipe benders

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autocascaderev2.jpg 
Views:	1472 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	26240  
    Last edited by kayl; 03-08-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    looking good kayl, wat other gas will be used, bbq propane or hc22/502?
    Quote Originally Posted by bh2k
    sorry m, OI'm a bit drunkz!
    Air benches with 3000+, DFI nf3 and 6800GT 2001SE: 26312 3d03: 13028

Xtreme Member
    kayl, should you shot a few good photos of compressor? My looks identically as your,
    but, according to technical document, it has ~12ccm motor's displacement and 1/3HP..

It make me unsure, why 1/3HP, not 1/2HP? Model name - CAE2410A, as I remember correctly

Whatever, I love this compressor, it has massive shapes, electricity device
    looks nice and loudness level is low

Xtreme Member
    Kayl...very compact system. Nice receiver you made. What size cap are you using to cool the hx.?… Man you rock you just started this two days ago and it looks complete

What is an auto-cascade?

Xtreme Member
    It's a phase change unit, where is one compressor, phase separator and two gases - one gas cools second gas

First gas evaporates between -30*C and -40*C, second stage evaporates between -50*C and -80*C

Memory Addict
    oooooooooh i want one

piccies
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic
    It's a phase change unit, where is one compressor, phase separator and two gases - one gas cools second gas

First gas evaporates between -30*C and -40*C, second stage evaporates between -50*C and -80*C
    So a single compressor pumps a gas mixture that is seperated somehow, then these individual gasses are used like in a typical cascade?

Xtreme Member
    Does the HX act as a subcooler in a traditional system, except that a compressed 1st stage gas will cool the condensed 2nd stage?

I'm still kind of learning about basic stages here, so please correct (and forgive) my ignorance. From my knowledge so far, in a subcooler, the suction line gas will cool down the liquid line to give the system a little bit of a boost? Or are you using a 1st stage liquid that is separated to cool a 2nd stage liquid prior heading to the evaporator?

I believe its the 1st stage condensed refrigerant that cools and causes the 2nd stage refrigerant to condense (usually CO2) then the CO2 moves on to the evap on cpu.

Xtreme Member
    G H Z, bingo

illmatik, 1st stage gas is condensed. 2nd stage gas is desuperheated (it's cooled by
    condenser, but it doesn't become a gas, he's still in gas phase). Condensed gas
    evaporates and cools 2nd stage gas.

It isn't subcooling

Cra$h 0veride, you're right

How is the gas seperated?

Sorry bout the jack kayl, just trying to understand exactly what your doing here so I can honestly say Nice job!

-100C Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reject
    looking good kayl, wat other gas will be used, bbq propane or hc22/502?
    for testing I always use bbq r290, normal single stages I always use hc22/502 cause they only take about 4sec of charge, the autocascade and cascade would take a lot of hc22/502 and I only got a few kg’s left.
    If I build a autocascade im gonna keep I will use hc22/502.
    But im always changing things so that’s a while off, unless this is a good gpu cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic
    kayl, should you shot a few good photos of compressor? My looks identically as your,
    but, according to technical document, it has ~12ccm motor's displacement and 1/3HP..
    Whatever, I love this compressor, it has massive shapes, electricity device
    looks nice and loudness level is low
    im really not exactly sure, a while back I posted this, and ppl said it was 1/2Hp, might be a 1/3Hp
    Have you a link to that spec sheet talking about.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...04a+compressor

Quote Originally Posted by WindStorm
    Kayl...very compact system. Nice receiver you made. What size cap are you using to cool the hx.?… Man you rock you just started this two days ago and it looks complete
    thanxs once I start I have a hobbit of brazing until finished
    no receiver used in this one, capillary line is 0.028” about 1.8m 1st stage and about 2.3m 0.031” secondstage.

Quote Originally Posted by G H Z
    How is the gas seperated?

Sorry bout the jack kayl, just trying to understand exactly what your doing here so I can honestly say Nice job!
    That’s cool, after the gas leaves the compressor passes to the condenser, then it enters a map gas cylinder about 1/3 way up bottle. At room temp and this pressure r290 will condense into a liquid and collect at the bottom of the cylinder. It then feeds via capillary line to hx (1st stage) -30c.
    Back to the map gas cylinder now, at room temp and this pressure c02 is a gas and exits the top of the map gas cylinder as a gas. It is then passed through the hx where its cooled and pressure is reduced and it is able to condensed into a liquid and the fed by capillary line to 2nd stage dd evap to freeze -70c –80c hopefully.

Xtreme Member
    So when you are tuning/experimenting, are you guys reclaiming and refilling the system each time you need to say, do a cap tube adjustment? I would assume flares need to be brazed/soldered each run due to the psi in the system, no?

Xtreme Hardware Killer
    flares don't need to be brazed or souldered if you do them right. In the us we are required to recover any refridgerent.
    Level 80 UD Death Knight on Murmur (Beta)

Xtreme Member
    Wow that's good to know (flaring. knew about recovery laws). So it should make cap tube adjustments much easier to do when tuning these pre made units like vapos. I'm trying to go thru this Tomczyk Refrigeration & AC coursebook and lab guide in between work and mba work in the evening, hoping it shows how to do quality tooling and stuff.

-100C Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illmatik
    Wow that's good to know (flaring. knew about recovery laws). So it should make cap tube adjustments much easier to do when tuning these pre made units like vapos. I'm trying to go thru this Tomczyk Refrigeration & AC coursebook and lab guide in between work and mba work in the evening, hoping it shows how to do quality tooling and stuff.

yeah when making capillary line changes etc ya have to vacuum again and regas, takes alot of time.
    flairs would be about the same amount of effort really. still have to vacuum and apply the appropriate sealant to the thread so it doesn’t leak and tork it correctly.
    flairs main use for things like txv etc that dont like to be heated (ie brazed), all other joins i prefer to be brazed.
    some ppl have their dd blocks on flairs so can swap, i like them brazed, just another thing to leak if done incorrectly.
    propane and co2 releasing into the air isn’t illegal, but other refrigerants should be reclaimed. another advantage to using r290 and co2.
    no need to reclaim.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl
    yeah when making capillary line changes etc ya have to vacuum again and regas, takes alot of time.
    flairs would be about the same amount of effort really. still have to vacuum and apply the appropriate sealant to the thread so it doesn’t leak and tork it correctly.
    flairs main use for things like txv etc that dont like to be heated (ie brazed), all other joins i prefer to be brazed.
    some ppl have their dd blocks on flairs so can swap, i like them brazed, just another thing to leak if done incorrectly.
    propane and co2 releasing into the air isn’t illegal, but other refrigerants should be reclaimed. another advantage to using r290 and co2.
    no need to reclaim.
    Yeah, not needing to reclaim gas is a big advantage

You dont need to put sealant on flares if you use a copper gasket, it gets compressed and makes a gas tight connection. Use two wrenches to tighten the flare nut too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast