Thread: Broken Pin on FX

Broken Pin on FX

Today I decided to re-apply the thermal paste on my FX-55, I'd been using an XP-120 heatsink with Arctic Silver Ceramique. Thing is, as I carefully unclipped the heatsink the pressure of the clips tipped the XP-120 with the chip firmly stuck to the bottom of the heatsink. This bent a number of pins and one of them actually broke off. according to the diagram on the AMD spec sheet (Link) I've broken the E 1 pin on page 26 which is one of the VLDT_A pins.

My question is this:- Do you think a repair is a realistic possibility being as it's at the edge of the chip? I do have a friend who works in micro electronics and may be able to solder a new pin on there.

Any advice appreciated.
    AMD FX-55
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    BBA X850 XT PE
    2 x 512 BH-6 (gaming) 2 x 256 BH-5 (benching)

Xtreme Addict
    if the broken pin is in the first row of the cpu you can solder it gentle baek, but if the broken pin is not on the first row , hell i dont think that you can fix it up
    Asus P5-E X38 Intel QX9650 INOO3D 9800 Gx2 4x Super Talent's T800UX2GC4
    Creative X-Fi Raid 0 Raptors 36Gb data 1Tb Seasonic M12 700w
    Dell 2407WFP Lian-Li Pc-65 mod Custom Built Phase Change Unit |Logitech G25|

RIG#2: DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R|Q9550| INOO3D 9800GTX|
    2xCellshok 1000| PC Power and cooling 750w Thermaltake v1
    Wife: DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R|Q930|BFG 8800GTS 512MB|
    Samsung ddrII 667| PC Power and cooling 610eps12v Thermaltake v1

Htpc:Dfi Sli-Dr Venus|3700+|2x1gb Team Group ddr500|Thermaltake Mozart TX

conductive epoxy may be a good way to go. Good luck man, that really sucks.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    maybe you could put the severed pin into its correct hole in the socket and put the chip back into the socket; hoping that the pin makes contact... if not thats some pretty bad luck!
    Another thing you might wanna try is ask a local jeweler if he/she could possibly re-attatch the pin for you.

good luck man!
    Alec

Thanks fellas for the kind words.

I called my little brother and he says he has a worker at his place that can solder under the microscope who may be able to do something with the chip. If I remember rightly its the same girl that re-soldered a resistor I knocked off my old GF4 a few years ago and she did an immaculate job.

The only problem is that I can not find the old broken pin so I'll have to fabricate a new pin to put in there. Would a single strand of relatively heavy gauge copper do the trick? ie would it be strong enough?

One things for sure I won't be using that XP-120 anymore, I think I'll just have to find an SLK-948 or something... can't go wrong with bolt on heatsinks.
    AMD FX-55
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    BBA X850 XT PE

Xtreme X.I.P.
    welcome to XtremeSystems

you might also ask a jewelery shop, they have all the tools and expirience to solder even smaller parts and they can solder it with an silver alloy wich is more conductive and stronger than normal solder i think

good luck man!

Xtreme Member
    I have heard of people doing what Alec suggested with great success. Even if you don't have the pin, you could stick a piece of copper wire in there and it should work just as well. Kind of ghetto, but effective for those without the means to have broken pins repaired.

And FYI, the clip-on/bolt-on issue has absolutely nothing to do with it. The fact is that with the IHS and a large-base heatsink, suction is created. I've especially noticed this with Arctic Silver Ceramique. Your best bet would be to find a paste that doesn't have this effect. With my dual P4 Xeon setup, the OEM heatsinks came with a paste that didn't create any suction at all. I believe I remember reading that it's from Shin-Estu, but I don't know the specific model.

Best of luck.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome Saaya,

Got my chip back today, I had a new pin soldered on and it seems like a pretty much perfect job! I cant really show any pics, my camera's resolution is far too low to get a clear shot. Anyway I dont wanna chance it with the XP120 any more so ordered a Zalman 7700 and some more Shin-etsu to replace the XP120/ceramique. Hopefully it won't impact my temps too drastically.

Thanks for the input guys!
    AMD FX-55
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    BBA X850 XT PE

Xtreme Recruit
    Glad you were able to get it fixed. Just curious what route did you take to fix it. Did you get a jewler to do it, or did your friend at work? Also what did they use to make a new pin?
    ------------------------------
    current computer aresnal
    A64 3200+ / DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR / 1Gig Gskill LE / 6800GT / watercooled (custom radiator/Maze4 gpu/TDX/AquaExtreme50Z)
    a64 3200+ / MSI K8N Neo2 / 6800gt agp
    a64 3200+ / MSI K8N Neo2 / 6600gt agp
    AthlonXP 1700 file server (almost 1 Terabyte)

3DMark2001 3DMark05

xtrmeme workbench

I had my brother's friend solder it at work under the microscope. I pulled a pin from an old chip to replace the one on the FX. The pin was slightly heavier gauge but still slots neatly into the holes of the socket... luckily
    AMD FX-55
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    BBA X850 XT PE

Memory Addict
    wow nice stuff saving the cpu
    ---

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jah_Warrior
    I had my brother's friend solder it at work under the microscope. I pulled a pin from an old chip to replace the one on the FX. The pin was slightly heavier gauge but still slots neatly into the holes of the socket... luckily
    Good idea on using a pin from an older CPU.
    ------------------------------
    current computer aresnal
    A64 3200+ / DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR / 1Gig Gskill LE / 6800GT / watercooled (custom radiator/Maze4 gpu/TDX/AquaExtreme50Z)
    a64 3200+ / MSI K8N Neo2 / 6800gt agp
    a64 3200+ / MSI K8N Neo2 / 6600gt agp
    AthlonXP 1700 file server (almost 1 Terabyte)

3DMark2001 3DMark05

xtrmeme workbench

Love and Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jah_Warrior
    Anyway I dont wanna chance it with the XP120 any more so ordered a Zalman 7700 and some more Shin-etsu to replace the XP120/ceramique. Hopefully it won't impact my temps too drastically.
    good luck with that 7700, it's really heavy though

and what will become of your xp-120? (send it to me?)
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them