Thread: Some Words on The Dual Core EE

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Some Words on The Dual Core EE

http://pcper.com/index.php#NewsID693

after reading this, I was extremely impressed with this part of the article.

Update: At the demo Intel showed the 3.2 GHz quad-thread (dual core) system run a test on CineBench 2003 with four threads in the render test. The test completed in 37.8 seconds. Looking at my recent DFI nF4 SLI-DR motherboard review the best AMD score for that same test (using only a single thread of course) was 77 seconds and the best Intel score was 69.6 seoncds. That is an 84% improvement over the Intel 560 processor and a 103% over the AMD 4000+ results. If we can get performance like this out of other, multi threaded applications as well as in multitasking, AND with SLI coming on the new nForce Intel chipset, then we may see Intel on the PC Per Hardware Leaderboard for the first time...
    thats some rather impressive hardware to get that kinda time on cinebench.
    of course, thats only for multithreading and such, still not much use in games and all, but still, a PC with this CPU should work as smooth as butter with 4 threads possible.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Intel still makes processors ?? lol
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Xtreme Mentor
    yea they do lol but they dont seem to be recognized by those who want to bench, and are still way on top in game performance this isnt cool, me being an intel man and all, maybe i should get me an amd system

Banned
    Intel has shown that they have A LOT coming. I think the Intel dual-core chips are going to BLOW away AMD's initial first-generation offerings. At this rate Intel may have second-generation ready to go by the time AMD gets their original design to the stores. With that being said, you know there's a problem when the strongest chipset for AMD comes from nVidia. Intel will continue to be my processor of choice as long as they continue to produce amazing chipsets (ahem, 875P) and of course, who can forget HT....multitasking with WindowsXP is actually enjoyable as opposed to the experience of the FX chips. *bleh*

Xtreme Member
    Question: What are the odds of game designers writing custom code for a Intel's dual-core offering?

I really don't have a clue myself, anyone have any info on the subject?
    This signature does not exist.

<---I love that smiley

Xtreme X.I.P.
    freecableguy, just how many shares of Intel stock do you own ??
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Quote Originally Posted by LoudHoward
    Question: What are the odds of game designers writing custom code for a Intel's dual-core offering??
    Both AMD and Intel plan on making Dual Core CPU's become mainstream stuff, not obscure like dual CPU's. so I would say the chances of game companies coding for dual cores very high.
    Intel has thier dual CPU's sampling around, and AMD has been showing thier stuff around and is supposedly "very very fast", according to people writing at the inquirer.net...

I would say within about 2 years games will be taking advantage of the dual core ability, assuming both intel and AMD make it as mainstream as they both appear to want to make it.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Live Long And Overclock
    freecableguy, just how many shares of Intel stock do you own ??
    As many shares of ATI stock I own But seriously, Intel's current offering may not be the most competitive they've been in a while but they're not as bad as most ppl think. Its just the requirement of DDR2 that makes it undesirable to those who've grown up knowing tight timings are better. At any rate, I really dont like that one-sided mentality about AMD being everything when it comes to CPUs and ppl singing " If I had an FX-55, I'd build you a house...." etc.

Intel's dual core tech is going to be surprisingly potent in competing with AMD's next offerings and its AMD that will be at a disadvantage if it doesnt capture enough of the market until those dual cores hit, which hasnt been all good seeing the DELL deal collapse. AMD's judgement day may well be around the corner.

Can anyone say Intel EE-57

EDIT:
    Both AMD and Intel plan on making Dual Core CPU's become mainstream stuff
    Hey Kunaak. Didnt want to step over your post with my worthless one As for your post, the only problem is quad HT will not be available on the mainstream cpus but will be on the EEs so that perf in the first post may well be Intel's best CPU showcased, not the mainstream stuff.

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 03-02-2005 at 11:14 PM.

yes, the 4 thread will be the high end, but the low end will still be regular dual core with no HT, which is pretty much still intended to become mainstream.
    atleast thats my guess, according to how both AMD and Intel seem to be pushing dual core technology.

Live Long And Overclock
    but the low end will still be regular dual core with no HT
    The only performance increases we'll see is if Intel debuts a 4ghz Dual core along with a 4ghz EE on 65nm but with regular dual cores at 3.2, the perf diff at first MAY not be worth the upgrade over the 775 rigs. Though for those on socket 478 like me waiting to upgrade, it may well be the golden ticket

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    too bad the dualcore EE will be 3.2ghz only..
    3.4ghz would be suitable alternative to dual xeons.. as 2x 3.4ghz xeons costs more than 1x ee. 2x 3.2 xeons is about the same price as 3.2 ee
    if the ee stays at current price..
    but then again - new 2M xeons should be faster..

but for regular "power-user", 1 cpu is easier to cool and has bandwidth advantage (chipset for xeon allows only ddr2-400 or ddr-33 to be used and has 800 fsb instead of ee's 1066). and if yoy don't need any fancy pci-x slot, then ee will do just fine.

actually i don't think that it's the HT that will give new EE an edge over PD.. it's the 1066 bus.. there's now 2 chips eating that bandwidth and every mhz counts...

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    One thing that most everyone is overlooking is operating system licensing.
    Will microsoft continue to charge extra for more than two logical cpus?
    Does anyone have a link to dual Xeon HT on/off tests? I'm curious what kinds of gains there are running more than 2 threads.
    GA-P35-DS3L no more than 450fsb w/1333 chip
    E6550 stuck at 3150
    V-DATA 2x1gb
    MSI 7900GS 512 3Dmark score in near future
    Old A64 scores2001 39,707 3D03 23,768 3D05 11,394 3D06 5914

Xtreme Addict
    I was impressed with that part also. It's nice to hear actual numbers.

Not too long ago I switched to a64 from P4, and while my fps in games went up, the ability to multitask/general smoothness of things went down. I find myself really missing that sometimes. The smithfield EE and maybe presler may really tickle my fancy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caater
    too bad the dualcore EE will be 3.2ghz only..
    3.4ghz would be suitable alternative to dual xeons.. as 2x 3.4ghz xeons costs more than 1x ee. 2x 3.2 xeons is about the same price as 3.2 ee
    if the ee stays at current price..
    but then again - new 2M xeons should be faster..

but for regular "power-user", 1 cpu is easier to cool and has bandwidth advantage (chipset for xeon allows only ddr2-400 or ddr-33 to be used and has 800 fsb instead of ee's 1066). and if yoy don't need any fancy pci-x slot, then ee will do just fine.

actually i don't think that it's the HT that will give new EE an edge over PD.. it's the 1066 bus.. there's now 2 chips eating that bandwidth and every mhz counts...

The Intel E7520 chipset supports dual 16x PCI-e slots and dual 800Mhz FSB Xeons. Go check out Intel's website. Those Xeon chips ain't small pups.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    The Intel E7520 chipset supports dual 16x PCI-e slots and dual 800Mhz FSB Xeons. Go check out Intel's website. Those Xeon chips ain't small pups.
    so it has 32 pci express lanes? i thought it was 24.
    but i was talking about absence of pci-x on most p4 boards...

but another bummer - dualcore EE has 800 fsb, not 1066.. oh well..

Xtreme Addict
    the Pentium dual core quad thread EE looks to be a beast of a processor! what core will it be based on? I still say this tho, hyperthreading is extemely useful and having quad threading will be unbelievably productive and effecient for everyday tasks. However, i'm not certain now much effect QHT will have on gaming tho.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poki
    One thing that most everyone is overlooking is operating system licensing.
    Will microsoft continue to charge extra for more than two logical cpus?
    MS annouced awhile ago that their license terms are per socket. So dual core = 1 CPU license. I don't know how that works with XP though, so its possible XP home won't tolerate dual core CPUs correctly. At least not without a patch or service pack.

Does anyone have a link to dual Xeon HT on/off tests? I'm curious what kinds of gains there are running more than 2 threads.
    Back when HT was first enabled in the form of "Jacksonville" there was a lot of benchmarking. Google can probably find some of them. Try a few terms and see if anything comes up.

Xtreme Member
    here is something: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004...s_xeon-29.html

but i don't know if it's for dual or single cpu..
    anyway it looks like we might end up D beating EE in some (or most?) current apps..

it would be different if EE was gonna use 1066 FSB.. but i guess that pressies minimum multiplier of 14x is the culprit..

Live Long And Overclock
    is there a chance of sse4 being on any of the upcoming chips ???

Perkam