Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow WHAT is this? Thermaltake SonicTower?

Xtreme Mentor
    yea TT seems to be obsessed with putting out HUGE heatsinks

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher_
    Copper is better regardless.
    Aluminium is cheaper and lighter though, an all copper sink that big would torque the board so bad it'd rip it out of the case.
    actually it wouldnt.

We regularly put in excess of 50lb's pressure on the cpu (average 50, top end around 90 for vapo etc) when mounting heatsinks and I doubt a 1/2 to 1lb heatsink on a motherboard is going to cause enough rotational force to tear it from the mounting holes.. think about how much pressure you use when inserting ram.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Holy energon cubes! Anyone used to play with Transformers? That sink looks like a cross between Omega Supreme and Metroplex!

It looks like it should perform as well as an AMD Retail Boxed HSF.

[pointless post]Ride the wave.. thats all I got to say...[/pointless post]

c[_]
    Zalman needs to make a cooler around that size out of pure copper.. that fits dual 120's on it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    Zalman needs to make a cooler around that size out of pure copper.. that fits dual 120's on it.
    here here

Xtreme Member
    actually it wouldnt.

We regularly put in excess of 50lb's pressure on the cpu (average 50, top end around 90 for vapo etc) when mounting heatsinks and I doubt a 1/2 to 1lb heatsink on a motherboard is going to cause enough rotational force to tear it from the mounting holes.. think about how much pressure you use when inserting ram.
    I know - it was hyperbole. I think it might cause issues with the mounting not being too good because the torque is pulling the sink away from the chip at the top, but that may not be an issue if the mounting force were high enough. As for force, I've bowed the motherboard right back against the case with force on the CPU without damaging it. :p
    CPU Temps: Forget MBM, if it don't crash it ain't too hot.

Wow!

That thing looks like something from sim city game sitting on top of a motherboard. I had to laugh when I saw the pictures of it.
    AMD 2500-Mobile (12.5x200) DFI Lanparty Ultra B Rev. A, Geoforce3 ti200, 1 GB Geil UltraX pc4400. Cooling = Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu on cpu, default cooling for vid card and elsewhere. Fortron Blue Storm PSU.

Xtreme Member
    so waht is a good make of heatsonk then and what model???

i have used thermaltake and got an increase of 120 mhz on my winnie?

if u think thermaltake suks, then please tell me what will be even better???

thx muz

Banned
    Look at my post today in here just few hours ago i use pipe 101 and silentcat 90mm both by thermaltake and i run a 2.8gig 500fsb amd mobile, im well happy temps never go over 52C load in room temp of 21-23C, i will prob never own thermalright as its my choice not to, i like thermaltakes newer cases like my tsunami dream and im of to buy that new thermatake cooler as soon as its avail in UK, be nice to see a 120mm silentcat as i could live with bit more db to get more rpm/cfm than that 16db fan on that new cooler.

Banned
    You all missing 1 fact, the part about fins been alu, same as new thermalrights may i add, the weight is 1 thing but copper is better conductor of heat so base is copper, alu is better dissapator of heat so fins are alu, yes this means thet the alu wont absorb the heat of the copper pipes aswell but it will get rid of any heat it does absorb faster than copper fins, but copper fins would absorb heat of copper pipes better but would get rid of it slower, so its all about what would perform the best and the difference is prob not to great for the fins in either material (1-3C) so they choose copper as of weight in end product, ideally in nonreal world use it would be made of some seamless alloy that goes from copper and one end to a mix of copper and alu in middle to alu at other end, or simply make it out solid silver which is better than both copper and alu but cost the earth and would snap mobo with weight

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Time to kill a myth i think, (flame me if i'm wrong) the main reason aluminum is good for heat transfer is convection. That would be the heat just dissipating without the air involved, heat radiation so to speak. Copper is a lot better at heat transfer between materials due to it's ability to both hold and deliver a lot of heat.
    Putting to materials together will form a barrier that the heat must pass through, it's only worth it if the thermal ablities of one of the materials is stellar (think heatpipes.
    Opteron 165
    Dfi NF4 Expert
    4x1 1GB twinmos PC 3200
    XFX 7900GT 550/1500

Banned
    If you read my post, you would know, i aint talking just crappy pcs im taking 15 years of engineering, alu will not attract the heat as well from the cpu die but will get rid of the heat better from its fins. (there in normal talk not fancy words like dissapate to keep it simple) BUT copper attract the heat better the cpu die but cant get rid of it from the cooper fins as well.

So there is 1 main reason they use alu + cooper and other is weigth and price.

There wont be that much a difference in a PC use as thermaright and thermaltake have both had all cooper jobs and now alu/cooper jobs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We used to test backpressure measurements of 16 cyclinder cummins diesel engines with a water "U" gauge called a manometer and the exhaust temps were like 800-900C or more, so U gauge was made of seethrough plastic flexable hose and we had to screw a fitting into a plug (access point) in the exhaust and use length of cooper tubing (about 1 foot) to connect to hose or else hose would melt with the heat, it would melt if we used alu tubing as the alu would send the heat from the exhaust end to the plastic hose end easily, but the copper didnt it was cool enough to touch at plastic hose end.

BTW Heatpipes were'nt developed for PC's again but for engineering, and wont work fully unless mounted vertically, the correct way up would be the endstops to top of pc case, if your lugs are on sides of socket instead of top and bottom it wont work fully (thats if its clip on type not bolt through mobo), and these pipes have a liquid (normally distilled water) in them, which evaperates to a gas and rises to end stops then cools and falls back as liquid, they can be depending on design very efficient.
    Last edited by humeyboy; 03-07-2005 at 05:33 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm waiting for a 100% Pure Silver Zalman with a 120MM tip-magnetic-driven vapobearing eight blue LED clear blade fan.
    CPU AMD Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.7GHz
    MTB DFI Lanparty nF4 UT @ 300MHz/900HTT
    RAM 1x512MB Corsair TwinX PC4400 @ DDR600
    HDD 2x36GB WD Raptor R-1 // 3x80GB WD S.E.
    VPU ATi Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition @ 602/618
    DVD NEC 3520A 16x DVD-RW
    PSU OCZ PowerStream 520w
    AUD Creative Audigy II
    NFO 9x300 ]|[ 1.55vCore - 2.9vDIMM ]|[ 2.5-4-3-7 ]|[ 1:1 1T
    3DM 01: 30208 03: 14449 05: 6918
    Rig revision in da workz: Opty 148, 1GB PC5000(Need 2GB but none are fast enough.), Another X850 to go crossfire, and W/C from the den.

Banned
    Yes your a clever peep, as you know silver is better than all inc both alu and cooper, but u better not even bump the case or you rip socket out of soldered joints as of the weight :banana4:

Also helps if you are rich.

Xtreme Member
    wonder how it will work fanless

Xtreme Enthusiast
    meh, my SLK-900A has proved itself more than adequate for cooling my CPU.

Never gets above 38-39C full load, even after gaming. That particular one doesn't even have heatpipes on it. Coupled with AS5 and an 80mm tornado I've never had heat issues
    DFI nf4 Ultra-D 704-2bta BIOS
    PREVIOUS SYSTEM
    (3200+ Venice LBBLE 0518APFW @ 2.565GHz - Water Cooled by DangerDen TDX
    1gb PC3200 PDP SYS XBL Ram @ DDR466 2-3-3-6)
    NOW RUNNING/TESTING
    Opty 165 CCBWE 0551WPMW @ 2.7GHz (Still in Testing Stage)
    Thermaltake 560w PSU
    eVGA 6800GT PCI-E 450/1200 - Water Cooled by DangerDen MAZE4
    Self-Modded 2-302 heatercore
    D4 Pump

did thermal take make a mistake in there ad when they said "Its refined and elegant shape is good for more then just its looks." shouldn't it be "more THAN just its looks"?
    3.4E D0 @ 285×14 1.525Vcore
    XP-90/Tornado
    Abit Ic7-G
    G.skill pc4400 LE 2×512MB
    PNY 6800GT 438/1180
    Thermaltake 420Watt PSU
    SERVER: P4c800-E Deluxe - 2.4B @ 173×18 1.525Vcore
    9800 Pro VGA silencer - 40GB Maxtor 7200RPM - Dell 350 Watt PSU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    is it just me or does the finish on it look HORRIBLE from the lil pic?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    don't think I've ever come across a TT heatsink with a good finish. Generally never passes 'the nail' test and you can see that it was finished using a circular grinder because of the pattern.

I want heatsinks coming stock 2000+ grit finish :p
    PREVIOUS SYSTEM
    NOW RUNNING/TESTING
    Thermaltake 560w PSU
    D4 Pump

Banned
    Ive never seen a thermalright that didnt need lap (even if u didnt it gains from it) thats why i let my cousin use them and i use thermaltake and i o/c more (maybe luck) The new SI97 is nickle coated and most "in the know" peeps will lap this through to the cooper, a heatsink prim does a job looks come 2nd, unless anyhow here had bought both newest thernalright and thermaltake and ran same tests in same conditions in their same rig, they cant turn round and slate TT, i will stick to mt TT pipe101 and TT silent cat 90mm till new ones arrives in UK, i not need a Thermaright with a noisey (even when on controler ) tornado (which is a case fan btw)

Sometimes its nice to go do "your own"thing and not follow the flock like a little lamb :banana4:

Xtreme Member
    looks too heavy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When I bought the SLK-900A it wasn't 'following the flock', and the tornado seemed like the logical choice. This was back before I had even joined forums and knew what the common choice was. I saw a $15 high powered fan and I bought it, and it works great in my system. And yes I did lap this thermalright heatsink.

Currently I have lower temps than most anyone else I know using an air setup.
    PREVIOUS SYSTEM
    NOW RUNNING/TESTING
    Thermaltake 560w PSU
    D4 Pump

c[_]
    you need to overclock more then.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you need to overclock more then.
    hahhahahha lmao true true

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast