Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow WHAT is this? Thermaltake SonicTower?

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member

Wow WHAT is this? Thermaltake SonicTower?

Xtreme Member
    Knowing ThermalTake, "looks" is about all you are going to get from it.
    CPU AMD Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.7GHz
    MTB DFI Lanparty nF4 UT @ 300MHz/900HTT
    RAM 1x512MB Corsair TwinX PC4400 @ DDR600
    HDD 2x36GB WD Raptor R-1 // 3x80GB WD S.E.
    VPU ATi Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition @ 602/618
    DVD NEC 3520A 16x DVD-RW
    PSU OCZ PowerStream 520w
    AUD Creative Audigy II
    NFO 9x300 ]|[ 1.55vCore - 2.9vDIMM ]|[ 2.5-4-3-7 ]|[ 1:1 1T
    3DM 01: 30208 03: 14449 05: 6918
    Rig revision in da workz: Opty 148, 1GB PC5000(Need 2GB but none are fast enough.), Another X850 to go crossfire, and W/C from the den.

Xtreme Mentor
    thermaltake is crap

can you see the light? is it shining too bright? can you see the light at the end of the tunnel, i know i do, i know its true.

c[_]
    I want one, even if it sucks

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol, thermaltake always seem to make huge/oversize/weighted heatsinks nowadays.
    AMD Phenom II 720 @ 3.8ghz
    DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M2RS
    2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC8500
    Gainward HD4870 1GB @ 860/1130
    Thermaltake TP 750w
    Custom Water

Xtreme Member
    Okay, it probably cools well, but just look at the size of it. WOW, friggen huge and you think the XP-120 is huge. You could maybe manage to fit 2 120mm fans on that baby. I think that is just a bit too big.
    -AMD 64 3200+ @ 2.4GHz
    -MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
    -1GB Patriot 3200XBL TCCD (2.5-3-3-6)
    -XFX 6800 AGP Unlocked
    -OCZ Powerstream 520W
    -2 Western Ditigal WD800 SATAs

3Dmark01

Xtreme Mentor
    its ALUMINUM! why would they go with aluminum and still call it a performance heatsink? This thing will bend your mobo in and if it doesnt it will still not cool all that great...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disposibleteen
    its ALUMINUM! why would they go with aluminum and still call it a performance heatsink? This thing will bend your mobo in and if it doesnt it will still not cool all that great...
    Copper is better for direct heat transfer, but metal to air, aluminium is better. It looks good, but I think that's as far as it goes. And maybe you could even fit 3 fans onto it (1 in between the pipes, two on the sides).
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, if you could do that, it would cool like crazy. You would have to have all the fans pushing air the same way.

Also Disposibleteen, if it was all copper, it would A)start to oxidize and turn green like a penny sometimes does and B)it would be too heavy and it could destroy the mother board and/or chip. Aluminum is much lighter then copper.
    -AMD 64 3200+ @ 2.4GHz
    -MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
    -XFX 6800 AGP Unlocked
    -OCZ Powerstream 520W

3Dmark01

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by D_o_S
    Copper is better for direct heat transfer, but metal to air, aluminium is better. It looks good, but I think that's as far as it goes. And maybe you could even fit 3 fans onto it (1 in between the pipes, two on the sides).
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29
    Also Disposibleteen, if it was all copper, it would A)start to oxidize and turn green like a penny sometimes does and B)it would be too heavy and it could destroy the mother board and/or chip. Aluminum is much lighter then copper.
    i thought that it was better to have all copper for heat transfer to anything, i also didnt think that the oxidization was a problem since this heatsink claims to be made of all copper (even if it isnt 100% pure). The thing that also made me think that D_O_S was wrong is that when you put heatsinks on your mobo (northbridge, mosfets, voltage regs, and such) you look for copper sinks not aluminum becuase the copper performs better.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_o_S
    Copper is better regardless.
    Aluminium is cheaper and lighter though, an all copper sink that big would torque the board so bad it'd rip it out of the case.
    CPU Temps: Forget MBM, if it don't crash it ain't too hot.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, with those all-copper heatsinks, look at a person's rig that has had one for awhile. You'll see the copper doesn't look as good as it originally did, thats becuase the copper is oxidizing. I don't think it harms the performance of the heatsink in anyway becuase it is minimal. But copper is so much heavier then aluminum, thats why aluminum is used here; to reduce weight. If you had aluminum heatpipes and aluminum fins, you would get reduced performance even more over the copper heatpipes and aluminum fins.
    -AMD 64 3200+ @ 2.4GHz
    -MSI K8N Neo2 Plat
    -XFX 6800 AGP Unlocked
    -OCZ Powerstream 520W

3Dmark01

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29
    Yeah, with those all-copper heatsinks, look at a person's rig that has had one for awhile. You'll see the copper doesn't look as good as it originally did, thats becuase the copper is oxidizing. I don't think it harms the performance of the heatsink in anyway becuase it is minimal. But copper is so much heavier then aluminum, thats why aluminum is used here; to reduce weight. If you had aluminum heatpipes and aluminum fins, you would get reduced performance even more over the copper heatpipes and aluminum fins.
    copper doesnt oxidize easily by itself. it would have to come in contact with chemicals and junk.
    Last edited by grimREEFER; 03-11-2005 at 12:42 PM.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher_
    Copper is better regardless.
    Aluminium is cheaper and lighter though, an all copper sink that big would torque the board so bad it'd rip it out of the case.
    actually it wouldnt.

We regularly put in excess of 50lb's pressure on the cpu (average 50, top end around 90 for vapo etc) when mounting heatsinks and I doubt a 1/2 to 1lb heatsink on a motherboard is going to cause enough rotational force to tear it from the mounting holes.. think about how much pressure you use when inserting ram.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    actually it wouldnt.

We regularly put in excess of 50lb's pressure on the cpu (average 50, top end around 90 for vapo etc) when mounting heatsinks and I doubt a 1/2 to 1lb heatsink on a motherboard is going to cause enough rotational force to tear it from the mounting holes.. think about how much pressure you use when inserting ram.
    I know - it was hyperbole. I think it might cause issues with the mounting not being too good because the torque is pulling the sink away from the chip at the top, but that may not be an issue if the mounting force were high enough. As for force, I've bowed the motherboard right back against the case with force on the CPU without damaging it. :p
    CPU Temps: Forget MBM, if it don't crash it ain't too hot.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    looks insane.
    but i would never mount the mainboard upright with that "stuff"

without fans this wouldnt perform nice i think :/

Its LOOK's good.. but is it!?

Who is up for a test when it's for sale? I can't buy it here in Denmark yet, but i would, and test it, if i had the Money that is!

But maybe it looks better than i performs! Even though it's mostly made out of alu. i would still think its pretty heavy and it's big, and puts the weigth far away from the holding point, and migth break the CPU if you knock over your tower(Which is most unusual! - But then.. You never know!)

Evil Kitty
    What an F'ing joke! What will they think of next to seperate a fool from his money?
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Enthusiast
    692g.....

Quote Originally Posted by Playful_Buffalo
    692g.....
    and with that size... hummm i would never have the courage put my mobo up!

c[_]
    its copper and aluminum guys, 692g isnt that bad either.. zalman 7700cu is about 40g short of 1KG iirc?

Xtreme Member
    Looks like it could be a better coat hanger then cpu cooler
    Gamer: Opty 165, 2GB OCZ EB, 2x 7900 GT, Watercooled (CPU/GPU's)
    Backup/Fileserverr: 3700 sandy, 1gb Mushkin UTT, 9800Pro

Xtreme Mentor
    maybe hat rack, i need a new one of those

Tyler Durden
    This looks like it'd be better than the hyper-6...I can't wait to see a review on it. Personally I think you're all jumping on the Tt sucks bandwagon this time when you should really giving this a second look.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY
    This looks like it'd be better than the hyper-6...I can't wait to see a review on it. Personally I think you're all jumping on the Tt sucks bandwagon this time when you should really giving this a second look.
    i dunno, the fact that the fins are aluminum and not even a copper based material gets to me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast