Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone Ever Attempted Liquid Helium?

I say give it a try. Yes it is very very dangerous, get a friend or 2 or 3 or 4 over there to help you. Place motherboard on a styrofoam bed so it does not shatter, get a fridn to hold a blow drier on the motherboard, and pour the helium very very very carefuly, dont spill any and make sure everyone is wearing gloves filled with insulation. Play it safe then why not. If I were you I would tak to the guy that handles the stuff on a daily basis to at least come and help/supervise. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it.

X. I. P.
    Trying to find some info on dewars, I came across this. Thought it was interesting
    (Fermilab insulates its liquid helium lines with both liquid nitrogen and vacuum.)
    From http://www.fnal.gov/pub/news/history_lowtemp.html

So, a pipe in which they run LHe is surrounded by a second pipe and the space between the two is evacuated, creating a vacuum.

Then a third pipe encases the first two, and they run LN through it.

Or maybe the LN is first and the vacuum is last. Who knows?

All to keep LHe from heating up.

There's a wild, xtreme cooling design for LHe delivery lurking in there.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER
    My Helium rig is complete but the capacity is so low that is not not a good option. We are working on a practicle use for it. One problem that exists is the freezing of capacitors near the CPU socket. I found once fired up they stay running but beyond -50c they are deaded when I reboot.
    you could just desolder the caps, and put a foot or so of wire on them, so they don't freeze. Any Updates?

Well, you could always do something truly suicidal and use liquid hydrogen.

It seems like solid Nitrogen (melts at -210C) would be a better solution than LHe, at least it would turn into LN2 instead of a deadly gas like LHe
    XP-M 2500+ @ 12x200
    Mushkin green line @ 2.5-4-4-8
    x800xl @ 472.5/611 volt-modded
    Asrock K7Upgrade880 volt-modded
    Chaintech AV710-games/movies
    heavily modded E-MU 0404-music
    Eddie Current HD25 headphone amp
    modded Beyerdynamic DT770's
    modded Grado SR-325's

You know you're odd when your headphone gear is worth more than your gaming rig.

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by redwraith94
    you could just desolder the caps, and put a foot or so of wire on them, so they don't freeze. Any Updates?
    Hmm... SPDL or someone would probably want to comment on that one. He would suggest thats a bad idea, but an idea, atleast.

I still propose we make a mini heatblanket for all capactitors and stuff?
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 300x10________15" Macbook Pro
    2x 512mb Mushkin DDR _______________2x 1Gb DDR2
    Sapphire X850XT____________________X1600M
    DFI Ultra-D_________________________2.16Ghz Merom C2D
    Lian-Li PC7A________________________OS X/XP
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    helium has been around since like, the big bang .are you guys trying to say no one on this amazing forum has even tried to bench a liquid helium rig yet .just dont start up a liquid hydrogen rig and create another big bang than without internet we would have to start all over again from square one.
    Last edited by RAMMAN; 04-20-2005 at 05:16 AM.
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN
    helium has been around since like, the big bang .are you guys trying to say no one on this amazing forum has even tried to bench a liquid helium rig yet .just dont start up a liquid hydrogen rig and create another big bang than without internet we would have to start all over again from square one.
    wtf?
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so, no one likes my sense of humour i can take a hint .
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

XS News
    so, no one likes my sense of humour i can take a hint .
    I didnt understand a single thing that post had....
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    never heard of the big bang theory? the beginning of the universe?
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

XS News
    never heard of the big bang theory? the beginning of the universe?
    well yea, but what does He have to do with it?
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    big bangs, liquid hydrogen, hydrogen bomb anecdotes...get it yet?
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

I am Xtreme
    but we are talking about liquid helium, not hydrogen.

Quote Originally Posted by dippyskoodlez
    Hmm... SPDL or someone would probably want to comment on that one. He would suggest thats a bad idea, but an idea, atleast.

I still propose we make a mini heatblanket for all capactitors and stuff?
    Well, AFAIK the electrolytic caps are only for power line conditioning and 1 foot of decent copper wire shouldn't affect anything that much imo. If they are smaller caps i.e. not electrolytic than they are probably used for other things and would be sensitive for variations in wire length, but I still think it is a better idea than heating what you're trying to cool
    Barton xp 2600 @ 1.917 Ghz 1Gb pc3200 high-latency crucial 2x512 modules Radeon 9600 SE 128mb
    Maxtor 40 Gb 7200rpm Altec Lansings 90W ~70db snr
    Belkin Natural keyboard Some generic 5.1 surround sound card

"I find that your American Beer is a lot like making love in a canoe It's ****ing close to water!"

Aussie God
    Hmm, didnt TAM use it once ? - And actually succeded ? - Anyway... As far as' Im told its not good at transfering the heat... :\\
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by redwraith94
    Well, AFAIK the electrolytic caps are only for power line conditioning and 1 foot of decent copper wire shouldn't affect anything that much imo. If they are smaller caps i.e. not electrolytic than they are probably used for other things and would be sensitive for variations in wire length, but I still think it is a better idea than heating what you're trying to cool
    we arent trying to cool the caps :P so it wouldnt be heating what we're trying to cool.... I'm sure teh CPU wouldn't notice a thing.
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

but why install a heater, when you don't have to? especially with Liquid helium, that stuff evaporates extaordinarily quickly
    Barton xp 2600 @ 1.917 Ghz 1Gb pc3200 high-latency crucial 2x512 modules Radeon 9600 SE 128mb
    Maxtor 40 Gb 7200rpm Altec Lansings 90W ~70db snr
    Belkin Natural keyboard Some generic 5.1 surround sound card

"I find that your American Beer is a lot like making love in a canoe It's ****ing close to water!"

Xtreme Member
    Liquid helium is a natural resource so it is controled buy they government. I dont think they will give it to you to use at home on your computer.

Not sure if anyone said that yet.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gloatlizard
    only the helium 2 has the superfluid feature...
    This is not true He III will "defy" gravity when a test tube is put into He III and the He III will climb the side of the tube and fill the test tube until the He III is level with He III outside.

The unfortunate part of ANY liquid He ANY isotope of it is that it will be so cold that the semiconductor of the cpu no matter how pure or how oxidized some of it is it will turn into an insulator and will take a VERY VERY large amount of voltage more than ANY stock board can provide (not that if you are doing this that you would have a stock board…) to over come the increased resistance of the CPU and because of the increased voltage and increased resistance the CPU will generate so much more heat then normal and because of He molecular structure it will turn into a gas at about the same rate that you can sanely poor it in not to mention that you would have a room full of He that could make you float off the face of the earth!!! (ha that would be great if that could happen) Not to mention that the caps and ALL of the surrounding resistors with have to be heated to maintain a “normal” operation that will allow everything to properly work…so it is truly more work then what it seems at first glance…

Just my .2

Dragon
    Last edited by FireDragon; 04-29-2005 at 06:30 AM.
    http://smbach.com/mad.gif

Opty 175 Rig
    Lian-Li PC75B case, Thermaltake BT w/ 165 CFM delta fan, Enermax 550watt PSU (36A on 12+), x1950 Pro, DFI Lanparty NForce 4 Ultra-d (moded for SLI so that i can use the second slot at 8x), Opteron 175 CCBWE 0547 TMPW (2.80, 280x10, 1.5 volts), 2x1gb Mushkin Redline xp4000 (280 3-3-2-8, 2.65 volts), 80GB WD

AM3 Rig
    Lian-Li PC-75b case, Asus Crosshair III Formula, 965 x4 C3 @ 4.1 1.525 volts 2.8 NB 1.25 volts, 2x2gb Dominator GT Cas 8 2000Mhz@ 1720 6-6-5-18-22 1.725 volts, Asus 5770 VT @1010/1435, Seasonic 850watt PSU 2x12v rails 40 amps each, 36GB raptor boot drive, 80GB WD storage drive, HeatKiller LT cpu block, BI GTX 360 with 6x Scythe 3000RPM fans in push/pull, MCP 655 variable pump on setting 5, EK 150ml res, all 1/2 inch

DFI NF4 BIOS Guide

Xtreme Member
    Before considering the effects of electron mobility, consider the fact that ASICs are produced with specific timing checks at certain process, voltage and temperature corners. Having an ASIC work properly at -100C is actually quite miraculous, considering that -100C is so far away from the pratical limits anyone characterizes with. Going beyond this, especially significantly beyond this, is only going to be an exercise in frustration. You wll run into other problems before electron mobility becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDragon
    This is not true He III will "defy" gravity when a test tube is put into He III and the He III will climb the side of the tube and fill the test tube until the He III is level with He III outside.

The unfortunate part of ANY liquid He ANY isotope of it is that it will be so cold that the semiconductor of the cpu no matter how pure or how oxidized some of it is it will turn into an insulator and will take a VERY VERY large amount of voltage more than ANY stock board can provide (not that if you are doing this that you would have a stock board…) to over come the increased resistance of the CPU and because of the increased voltage and increased resistance the CPU will generate so much more heat then normal and because of He molecular structure it will turn into a gas at about the same rate that you can sanely poor it in not to mention that you would have a room full of He that could make you float off the face of the earth!!! (ha that would be great if that could happen) Not to mention that the caps and ALL of the surrounding resistors with have to be heated to maintain a “normal” operation that will allow everything to properly work…so it is truly more work then what it seems at first glance…

Just my .2

Dragon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234