Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Attempted Liquid Helium?

Xtreme Recruit

Anyone Ever Attempted Liquid Helium?

Hi guys,

I am no expert by any means but at our school physics department, they use some liquid helium for some superconductor experiments. I was just wondering if anyone has tried using this stuff (around 10 deg K) or at those temps do the physical properties of silicon change too much to work anymore?

Xtreme Addict -100C Club
    isn't it very expensive?

Liquid helium boils at -268.93 Centigrade
    who doesn't want that.
    maybe it is to cold like your saying.
    you need very thick insulation too i guess :p
    Back in the phase change world

Xtreme Addict
    Not satisfied with liquid nitrogen? hehe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newcastle Under Lyme - Staffordshire - UK
    With liquid nitrogen, you spill it on yourself and get a nasty burn at worst. Liquid helium would penetrate your skin, expand inside the body -and you'd die

Ignoring the cost, its just too dangerous.

Tom
    "What will become of us, will we evolve"

Maybe someone should borrow a laboratory with the correct suits and see if there is any borders for a WR that can be moved on some CPU/GPU's

Would probably be VERY expensive

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffe
    Maybe someone should borrow a laboratory with the correct suits and see if there is any borders for a WR that can be moved on some CPU/GPU's

Would probably be VERY expensive
    Very cool nonetheless
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 300x10________15" Macbook Pro
    2x 512mb Mushkin DDR _______________2x 1Gb DDR2
    Sapphire X850XT____________________X1600M
    DFI Ultra-D_________________________2.16Ghz Merom C2D
    Lian-Li PC7A________________________OS X/XP
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

XS Local
    i don't think processors would run that cold.

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    theyd definitely not boot up

can you see the light? is it shining too bright? can you see the light at the end of the tunnel, i know i do, i know its true.

Banned
    Once long ago, Fugger concidered (and bought a helium Compressor), but it seems the project never got off the ground.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, my dad said he could get me a whole container of liquid helium (well, how much I needed anyway, he knows a guy who works with it every day). Should I give it a shot? Where can I get that big "chimney" from, to pour it into?
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by D_o_S
    Yeah, my dad said he could get me a whole container of liquid helium (well, how much I needed anyway, he knows a guy who works with it every day). Should I give it a shot? Where can I get that big "chimney" from, to pour it into?
    I'd talk to chilly1 about his ln2 containers.... and use tons of insulation... tons and tons of insulation....
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Member
    OK, I'll send a PM to chilly1 then.
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissolved
    i don't think processors would run that cold.
    i thought electricity worked better the closer it got to absolute 0. Isnt that what all of the experiments with superconducters are doing?

Xtreme Addict
    yes, but there comes a point where the semiconductors in a silicon chip will simply stop conducting altogether, and just become insulators. LHe2 might be too cold...
    only one way to know for sure
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphex_Tom_9
    yes, but there comes a point where the semiconductors in a silicon chip will simply stop conducting altogether, and just become insulators. LHe2 might be too cold...
    only one way to know for sure
    ah, gotcha, didnt know that, thanks for the headsup

Highly recommended to use some protective Gloves, and maybe clothing, whe don't want anyone to lose a finger, or get som flesh severely burned!

IF you really try this out, D_o_S then remember to take, more than enough pictures! No.. Better yet, get a mate to come over and take alot of pictures

My Helium rig is complete but the capacity is so low that is not not a good option. We are working on a practicle use for it. One problem that exists is the freezing of capacitors near the CPU socket. I found once fired up they stay running but beyond -50c they are deaded when I reboot.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I know this might sound like the ravings of a madman, but why not heat the capacitors with some electrical heating, something that would keep the capacitors above -50? - Something that would not affect the CPU cooling or any other things!

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffe
    I know this might sound like the ravings of a madman, but why not heat the capacitors with some electrical heating, something that would keep the capacitors above -50? - Something that would not affect the CPU cooling or any other things!
    How about start the system with maybe a dry ice mix in the container, or ln2, and then slowly step up to ln2 (if starting with DI) and then finally for the grand finalle, the helium? Or possibly insulate them with something heated, as suggested above? like heating blanket, etc...
    PCP&C 610w Silencer

Xtreme Member
    lol so cold that you need to heat it up, this some how sounds counter productive :P good luck

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmCensor
    Once long ago, Fugger concidered (and bought a helium Compressor), but it seems the project never got off the ground.
    Well the helium compressor and the Cryocooler and that is sitting in my workshop. The real issue with it is capacity @ 70 K it is about 40 watts
    Maybe a little dothan action? There is also the vibration issue and the fact that the head weighs 15 lbs. And then there is the fact that the head needs near perfect vacume for insulation, the heat gain at 70k from air only on the head is more than 40 watts.

Xtreme Member
    I read somewhere that below -120c electrons stop flowing properly, in other words the processor would stop working properly, that doesnt mean that a super cold system couldn't be used, just that the processor would need to be kicking out enough heat to stay above 120 ish.
    I7 Processor on phase 5.5ghz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by oublie
    I read somewhere that below -120c electrons stop flowing properly, in other words the processor would stop working properly, that doesnt mean that a super cold system couldn't be used, just that the processor would need to be kicking out enough heat to stay above 120 ish.
    LN2 gets down to -196c though...of course that doesnt mean a die temp of -196, but it might be below -120
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

Xtreme Member
    Not sure on this tom, i read it on a uk over clock forum, this came from their expert, he had a problem with the idea of using cascades. But if someone can confirm this as wrong or right id appreciate it.
    I7 Processor on phase 5.5ghz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newcastle Under Lyme - Staffordshire - UK
    Hi,

I posted this before, but what the hey, its relevant:

Consider the forward drain current:

Id = Z/L (electron mobility)x(Oxide capacitance)x((Gate voltage-Threshold voltage)^2)/2

Decreasing the temperature will decrease the electron mobility as the electrons move from the conduction to valence bands (decrease in thermal excitation energy). This term will be a major factor as the mobility dependency is to temp^-3/2. This will be compensated to a small degree as the threshold voltage reducing and the increase in oxide capacitance (as reducing temp will increase the relative permativity of the dielectric).

So all in all I can only guess that reducing temperatures will decrease the performance of the actual silicon part of the device. I assume that most increases in switching speed with reduced temperatures come from reduced propagation delays on the metallic interconnects, which should respond very well to lower temperatures.

So i think we have a gain vs. loss situation. Gains in speed from reduced temps for the interconnects vs. losses in speed from the silicon under reduced temperatures.

This also explains why increases in voltage are necessary when a CPU is running at reduced temperatures, as increasing voltage will increase forward drain current -keeping the silicon "happy". The gains in speed will probably still come from the reduced metallic interconnect propagation, the extra voltage will probably just keep the semiconductor working.

All of this is just speculation from the basic microelectronics/fabrication stuff ive done. We obviously dont deal with things this complex and everything is moddelled operating at room temperature

I'd say that liquid helium is too cold...

Tom
    "What will become of us, will we evolve"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast