Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualcomm Atheros Snaps up Bigfoot Networks...

Xtreme Addict

Qualcomm Atheros Snaps up Bigfoot Networks...

For those that missed it, its been a pretty quiet announcement.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-networks.aspx

Working on getting more info out of Qualcomm.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    This deal vindicates Bigfoot and Killer products. Too bad we'll probably never SEE those products again.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    This deal vindicates Bigfoot and Killer products. Too bad we'll probably never SEE those products again.
    Oooooooooooooooooooooh. Sad day. Oh, a butterfly... *hums imperial march*
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Well nVidia bought PhysX, and only then it took off, maybe the same will happen now with KillerNIC ? I know a third of ASUS motherboards use Atheros network chip, so it's a popular company.

If Qualcomm decides to sell Bigfoot's ICs by themselves at a reasonable cost, it's possible we'll see it become significant. The price premium just doesn't make sense most of the time when the hardware doesn't even perform all that great compared to say an Intel adapter. It's good, but not impressive good.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ice_chill View Post
    Well nVidia bought PhysX, and only then it took off, maybe the same will happen now with KillerNIC ? I know a third of ASUS motherboards use Atheros network chip, so it's a popular company.
    Wait, physX took off?

Xtreme Addict
    Nothing is related between ageia and those cards .. Nvidia bough PhysX and have made it a software engine who was run on existing Nvidia card. This have remove the bigger problem of Ageia card who was peoples was not so interested to buy an additional hardware ( and not cheap ) for only a few games compatible ..

This type of network cards are different... peoples buy Sata Pci express card when indeed they have allready SATA controller on their motherboard... the problem is for large public, their Marvell Lan is enough.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Levish View Post
    Wait, physX took off?
    Its one of if not the most popular physics engine out there, so yeah.

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    In hardware implementation terms which would be in context with this thread because talking about hardware acceleration implementation in games then no it has not.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 09-02-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    the hardware in the killer nic was nothing special, the software was what got the gains if there were any

you mean is one of the more popular particle effects engines, i cannot think of a game that uses NV physX for physics that changes intractable in game items (there was the ghost recon but it failed badly and that was agea physX)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I know a third of ASUS motherboards use Atheros network chip, so it's a popular company.
    I thought ti was Gigabyte?

I also thought Atheros had a ton of problems? At least in Minecraft they do. Half the people with an Atheros chipset cant even play Minecraft multiplayer. This could be a very good thing, or a very bad thing.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Administrator
    So does this mean if we purchase one of those Killer Nic addon cards would could find our selfs with an unsupported piece of hardware with no updates ?
    How does this effect the Giga MB's that have this on the motherboard ?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    So does this mean if we purchase one of those Killer Nic addon cards would could find our selfs with an unsupported piece of hardware with no updates ?
    The killer stuff is all based on atheros hardware with some impressive software/fimware tweaks. Atheros has been part of qualcomm for a while already so nothing will change really.

FWIW the killer 1103 wireless-n card is an absolute screamer, performs far better than the intel 6300 at everything from file transfers to server pings, sometimes by a huge margin. Heck, even the 1102 can outrun the 6300.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    In hardware implementation terms which would be in context with this thread because talking about hardware acceleration implementation in games then no it has not.
    That matters why? People like to bash Nvidia any chance that they get. I just wanted to point out that these same people are playing tons of games that use physx. Yes, not gpu accelerated physx but if the option were available on the consoles I would imagine that it would be taken advantage of more. Any other engine or implementation has the hell of a competitor.

To say that physx was a bad buy for Nvidia or is non-existent is just laughable.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Wait there are updates to the Bigfoot NIC on the mobos? LOL

I think only the G1 X58 and the R3EBE and the new Sniper 2 have it onboard, its a very few number of boards.

Xtremely Kool
    That matters why? People like to bash Nvidia any chance that they get. I just wanted to point out that these same people are playing tons of games that use physx. Yes, not gpu accelerated physx but if the option were available on the consoles I would imagine that it would be taken advantage of more. Any other engine or implementation has the hell of a competitor.

To say that physx was a bad buy for Nvidia or is non-existent is just laughable.
    Software physx was widely used anyway so it makes no odds & no one said its non existent because everyone knows about Software physx being used allot so when people talk about physx being a failure its about the acceleration aspect & plus the context of this thread makes that obvious.

Xtreme Member
    I remember Mirror Edge game that uses physics for how curtains move in the wind and how glass shatter. With PhysX enabled, and no nVidia GPU it will drop below 10 fps on a Quadcore, but with a GTX280 it will run at around 35 fps, so it does work and does give acceleration, and it's not a failure.

Xtreme Member
    People are so critical because they all know perfectly well that those curtains and glass could easily be done on the spare cores of that quad, NV aren`t fooling anyone for a minute. Anyway, OT.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    Software physx was widely used anyway so it makes no odds & no one said its non existent because everyone knows about Software physx being used allot so when people talk about physx being a failure its about the acceleration aspect & plus the context of this thread makes that obvious.
    How do you compare buying Bigfoot networks with buying Ageia without taking the other aspects of physx into account? Like I said comparing the two is laughable.

Xtremely Kool
    I remember Mirror Edge game that uses physics for how curtains move in the wind and how glass shatter. With PhysX enabled, and no nVidia GPU it will drop below 10 fps on a Quadcore, but with a GTX280 it will run at around 35 fps, so it does work and does give acceleration, and it's not a failure.
    I remember a few games & no one said it didn't work & there is no reason to even think of such a suggestion, the point is nVidia GPU PhysX is a failure because its not used for game world physical altering physics & is only used for cosmetics & in not many titles at all for the amount of time its been out.

The amount of really good games to have even cosmetics nVidia GPU PhysX can be counted on one hand.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 09-03-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Xtremely Kool
    How do you compare buying Bigfoot networks with buying Ageia without taking the other aspects of physx into account? Like I said comparing the two is laughable.
    Now you have moved to the classic of hair splitting semantics when you know full well what the points was & has been answered already.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 3NZ0 View Post
    FWIW the killer 1103 wireless-n card is an absolute screamer, performs far better than the intel 6300 at everything from file transfers to server pings, sometimes by a huge margin. Heck, even the 1102 can outrun the 6300.
    How do you test that ? I've been running an onboard Killer Nic card on a G1 Sniper board and I notice zero to nothing in Ping when playing online games in comparison to a similar specced X58 board with Intel NIC onboard... want to know how wireless goes with him...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 09-03-2011 at 05:07 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    How do you test that ? I've been running an onboard Killer Nic card on a G1 Sniper board and I notice zero to nothing in Ping when playing online games in comparison to a similar specced X58 board with Intel nic...
    Read anandtech's review of wireless cards.

I am Xtreme
    I want to know how 3NZO tested it... not how I should test it...

(clarified my previous post)
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 09-03-2011 at 05:07 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    Wait there are updates to the Bigfoot NIC on the mobos? LOL

I think only the G1 X58 and the R3EBE and the new Sniper 2 have it onboard, its a very few number of boards.
    I ment software Sin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast