Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing - ALL New WaterCooler's Read Before Posting!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes it does help and it does make sense the way you explained it.
    i was thinking thou, it obviously is a loop and it obviously works but pumping the water into the rad, the pressure would push it out to the rest.
    there is/ would be no or only minimal loss of flow/ pressure?

edit: i am a bit noobish to WC and this is my first try tbo
    i started out with the swiftech h20-220 compact and expanded a bit

i am planning to get a pump and res/rad seperate

here is a look

Last edited by bot@xs; 01-23-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There's ALWAYS a pressure drop when water passes something (even if it's just a small curvature in your tubing. However, some waterblocks prefer flow over pressure and for those, it's not a big deal if you put a rad after the pump, and if you put a low-pressure drop rad like PA120.3, you won't see any difference even with an impingement waterblock (the kind that likes pressure). At least, that's my understanding, pretty sure more knowledgeable people will step in and correct me lol
    Sig is under construction

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sweet. thats good enough for me. i will check out the rad

Never go full retard
    Anzial, you've got it right.

Impingement blocks want pressure and perform better with the pump feeding the CPU block. Where pin matrix blocks still perform with good pressure but do not necessarily need the pump directly supplying the block. However, the Fuzion (V1 and V2) are special cases becuase of the nozzles and depending on the nozzle, there would be benefit from placing the pump in the loop so the pump outlet supplies the block.

Confused yet?

This is a topic NaeKuh and I have discussed many times, I will be testing this on my LGA775 CPU block roundup as an additional test to see which blocks (if not all) show additional gains with the pump output supplying the block.

Ultimately, the best loop is one that is as short as possible with the least amount of bends and is workable for you. The biggest requirements are: it fills/drains easily, bleeds quickly and you are happy with it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i am looking forward to the GTZ block, how are they holding up compared to the fuzion and EK's?
    i hope you let us (me) know about the review. i'd like to see the comparison and results
    Last edited by bot@xs; 01-23-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Hamster Powered
    Marci once wrote in a thread that a rad benefits from the pump being before it because of the extra turbulence in the rad. I can see though that a "Pressure Dependent" waterblock would benefit from the pump before it giving it maximum pressure.

This thread by MaxxxRacer was an excellent guide that took quite a while to compile.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great guide.. I just now 10 minutes ago did his guide for flushing my RAD. I have a brand new Feser TFC 360 RAD. and I did 2 flushes with Distilled water. Then I went ahead and added some Distilled White Vinegar.. it made some hissing noises.. lol. and about 1 minute later I poured it all out. and it was darker blue than in his pictures.. is that ok?

It's now sitting in the bathroom full of water.. I'm going to let it sit before draining one more time, then hooking it all up for a leek test.
    Project HAF 932 Water-Cooled

New OC Validation

- Q9650 4.0 Ghz For Now -
    - GTZ, Feser 360, D5 Vario, EK Multi-Option -
    - eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - eVGA GTX 480 H20 & GTX 295 -
    - 2x2GB Dominators PC2-8500C5D -
    - WDCaviar Black 640GB AALS x2 (Raid0) -
    - FreeAgent Pro 500GB Ext x2 -
    - Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w PSU -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - Logitech G11 & MX-518 /G9 -
    - Sony 24x Optical w/ LightScribe -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -
    - ATH-AD900 Cans & UE Triple.Fi 10 Custom IEM's -
    - Nikon D40 w/18-105mm & 55-200mm VR's -

Xtreme Member
    Thank you MaxxxRacer for your excellant guide.

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 / Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speaker System /
    Lian Li 343B cube case / PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Crossfire Edition /
    IOGEAR GCS1782 GCS1782 Dual-Link DVI KVMP switch with 7.1 audio

Minor question: why isn't this thread stickied?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous_user View Post
    Minor question: why isn't this thread stickied?
    You will find links to this thread and a large number of others in this stickied post.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    You will find links to this thread and a large number of others in this stickied post.
    Actually, doesn't look like it is there. I thought it was too.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Actually, doesn't look like it is there. I thought it was too.
    Look again, 8th one down from top.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Look again, 8th one down from top.
    ahh, was labeled a little different. I thought I had seen it. Thanks again waterlogged.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

thats great info, really god for a neeby like me

Hello everyone
    As far as I'm noobie to LC subject, I'd like to give my big thanks to you guys, especially to MaxxxRacer for his outstanding tutorial. It really helped me a lot with completing components and prepare everything. So I followed all information and bought components to my LC. Wright now I'm performing 1st step, which is cleaning. And here is my question: while cleaning radiator, does this blue color of spilling vinegar mean, that radiator is still dirty inside? And that I should continue cleaning?

Hi MaynardX, and welcome to Xtreme Systems!

Actually, most of today's radiators don't need to be cleaned with vinegar. Just use hot water for several rinses, then follow with a good rinsing with distilled water (you can do all your cleaning with distilled, but it's not absolutely necessary as long as you rinse it with distilled). Check the clearness of the water after your rinses, and you'll be able to see if you've anything left in the radiator.

If you've got any other questions, please do start a thread - folks are happy to answer your questions. Good Luck with your project! And, you might also want to start a thread in the liquid cooling work log section. It's a great way to get advice and comments on your build (don't be shy!).

Hello Shazza. Thank you for reply. I will follow your suggestions. When I rinse radiator with hot water (and then with distilled), it looks clean, pellucid with no color, also no "garbage" in sight. Just when I fill it with mixture of vinegar and hot water (procedure is half an hour with lots of shaking) liquid coming out of radiator is blue. That was three loops so far. I was wondering why is that. And thanks for invitation . Greetings.

I am Xtreme
    Geez, how many more newbies eating away their rads with vinegar does it take before we get the references removed? At the very least, increase the font size and bold the warning already in place to raise more awareness to it.

Vinegar should only be used as an absolute last resort and only for a 1/2hr at a time, with plenty of plain water flushing between sessions.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Good Point, Waterlogged. Am checking with MaxxxRacer to see if he has any objections to adding an additional comment about most radiators not needing vinegar.
    Last edited by shazza; 09-28-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Just for your information guys, I used 1 liter of vinegar and about 8 liters of distilled water. I don't know how much hot water went through water-meter. All of this for BW Colossus. Why this annoyance? But I checked ones again to the tutorial and found what this blue color is about, so thanks for help. I will do some more rinsing with distilled water and check radiator for any leaks, I should make out. Thanks.
    Last edited by MaynardX; 09-28-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaynardX View Post
    Just for your information guys, I used 1 liter of vinegar and about 8 liters of distilled water. I don't know how much hot water went through water-meter. All of this for BW Colossus. Why this annoyance?

You should be fine, as long as you rinsed thoroughly after the vinegar wash. The concerns expressed are just because current radiators seldom require anything as strong as vinegar. Also, some folks have apparently damaged their radiator by soaking it for long periods in vinegar. I've needed to use it a time or two - had no problems, but did rinse thoroughly with distilled.

I understood. Thank you Shazza. Bold font did the trick, so I'm shaking my radiator full of distilled water right know More of this dancing tomorrow. Greetings.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415