Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Newbie Questions :)

Xtreme Mentor

Arrow 3 Newbie Questions :)

1) Are there any good-overclockin SDRAM-based AMD dual-cpu motherboards?

2) Do you need to run registered memory in these DDR motherboards such as the MSI K7D Master & the IWill MPX2?

3) What is currently considered the best overclocking AMD dual-cpu DDR-based motherboard?

I'm asking because if I decide to go SMP on one of my rigs, I want to go cheap...and if I _have_ to buy registered memory I'd prefer the price of SDRAM over DDR

Thanks in advance for any input
    E8600. EP45-UD3P. 500FSB 24/7. Still WinXP. Heatware

Re: 3 Newbie Questions :)

Originally posted by N8
    1) Are there any good-overclockin SDRAM-based AMD dual-cpu motherboards?
    None to my knowledge no.

2) Do you need to run registered memory in these DDR motherboards such as the MSI K7D Master & the IWill MPX2?

As with all the dual AMD boards, they can be ran using regular memory in the 1st 2 slots. Once you go beyond those, yes, all need to be registered I believe.

3) What is currently considered the best overclocking AMD dual-cpu DDR-based motherboard?
    Best OC'ing board I have heard of is the MPX2 iWill board. I personally cant say, but Ive heard its the best at OC'ing.

I'm asking because if I decide to go SMP on one of my rigs, I want to go cheap...and if I _have_ to buy registered memory I'd prefer the price of SDRAM over DDR

Thanks in advance for any input
    DDR is the only way to go. Litterally if your interested in AMD. I would suggest that if you get the Reg now, and save the hassle of upgrading later.

Ah yea, another thing, not sure if youve done alot of research or not, but I did some time ago. It is slightly out of date, but has most of the MPX boards for AMD.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&threadid=5407

I agree with all of IMFU's comments. I've been really wanting one of those Iwill boards too. I've got an ASUS A7m266d, it's ok, but I wouldn't buy another. Lot's of little problems here and there; sockets too close, terrible driver issues with the c-media chip, no voltage adjustments.

You really want to go with Registered Ram, unless you feel really, really lucky (sometimes it works well). Or if you're just a massochist at heart, and enjoy instability and headaches.
    Just a fish

I almost forgot about the ASUS manual and board misprint. It had you hooking up the HD LED to the keyboard lock pins.

Very frustruating... :smileysex
    Just a fish

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks for the quick answers, guys

So a single unregistered DIMM will work fine? Is there stability issues w/ unregistered memory? (I'd prolly use Crucial 2100 in this rig)

And does the MPX2 have any multiplier adjustment, or is OC all done thru FSB?

Tweaked!
    My experience so far has been great with the Msi K7D master, but from the sounds of things the Iwill sounds like it deserves a thorough lookin at. The Msi has o/cing features of 100/33, 103/34, 105/35, 110/37, 113/38, 117/39, 133/33, 138/34, 140/35, 144/36, 150/38mhz. And multiplier only goes from 5 - 12.5. The Amd 760 chipset doesn't really seem stable w/ stock hsf @ 150. but I've been able to maintain 144 x 12 for 1728mhz. I can probably push it a little further if I go to watercooling of the cpu's, chipset, and vid card. 3dmark has been really stable at the speed I'm at now. My cpu's have been averaging 36 - 38c, and I'm running crucial reg ddr that I've had up to 165 in another single proc rig, so I know it's not that, has to be the chipset.
    There's another member around here running the Iwill and claims he can get his up into the 170 range. Here's the thread:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&threadid=4540

But to your first question, I don't know of any sdram duallie mobo's for Amd.

And I would recommend using the registered ddr. My experience has been to do it right the first time in this area.

Originally posted by N8
    So a single unregistered DIMM will work fine? Is there stability issues w/ unregistered memory? (I'd prolly use Crucial 2100 in this rig)
    More often than not you'll have some issues with non-registered ram. If you're buying new memory it would probably be best to spring for the registered DDDR. You could end up with an instable machine and end up buying even more memory, and some hair treatments because you pulled it all out in frustration. Wouldn't be a total bad thing, ('cept for the hair part) having an extra stick of ram is always a good excuse to build another box. Shouldn't let anything go lying around unused.
    Last edited by pelligrini; 11-25-2002 at 04:29 PM.
    Just a fish

Originally posted by pelligrini
    More often than not you'll have some issues with non-registered ram. If you're buying new memory it would probably be best to spring for the registered DDDR. You could end up with an instable machine and end up buying even more memory, and some hair treatments because you pulled it all out in frustration. Wouldn't be a total bad thing, ('cept for the hair part) having an extra stick of ram is always a good excuse to build an another box. Shouldn't let anything go lying around unused.
    Agreed!
    Would be better to just spend the extra couple of bucks if your buying it anyways. If your not, then couldnt hurt to try, just be prepared to buy some if what you have doesnt work.

1) No, there are no SDRAM based AMD duallies.

2) You don't need to run registered but I have *never* had any luck running unbuffered dimms in my dual AMD systems. I have tried Corsair XMS2700, Crucial PC2100/PC2700 and Kingmax PC2100 and none would post. Registered RAM is highly recommended and can overclock quite nicely also. In fact, I am running 2x 512Mb sticks of Crucial Registered PC2100 at 155fsb and 100% load with no problems.

3) The Iwill MPX2 is without a doubt the most stable overclocking duallie on the market. The voltage regulation on this board is second to none. This is one of the reasons it is stable to very high fsb's. Mem timings, vcore, vdimm, vio are all adjustable.

The MSI K7D is a close second but is limited to 150fsb.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks guys...I think I'll steer clear for now then. I can't justify the cost...if I coulda started off by just buying the mobo & getting everything setup w/ a current CPU & stick of RAM I own, I may have tried it. But at these times in memory price fluctuation, I don't think its a good time to hafta buy registered memory

I'll look into these setups a little more down the road...who knows, perhaps I'll end up with one sometime

Tweaked!
    Denial is no way to live your life... You've got to go for it!!! I think you need several of these.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey Tweaked!, I see your sig says you have your 1600's @ 1728MHz. Some quick math and if you're max'd out @ 150FSB, that'd mean you're running a 11.5x mult? So, the KD7 Master has multiplier control & the MPX2 doesn't? If so, how's the MPX2 the better overclocking board? Perhaps I'm missing something

Tweaked!
    Actually, I'm running at 12x144. I'm not sure about the Iwill, I thought it had multi adjustments. I could be wrong though. But yes, the k7d does have multi adjustments through 12.5, and fsb up to 150.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmm....12.5x150 would be plenty I think

Didn't I read that you got that mobo dirt cheap? How? Where?

/me likes cheap!

Tweaked!
    Well, I got lucky (so to speak). Outpost.com was liquidating their stock on them and discontinuing the line. I got mine for $159.00 w/ free shipping And it was brand new, not a refurb. I believe I even got the last one. I called first to ask about the deal, and the lady rep that answered said it was their last one, so I went ahead and bought it over the phone and paid for it immediately I haven't been able to find any deals even close to that one since

Xtreme Mentor
    Cool...lucky you

I just did some research and it looks like the MPX2 does have multiplier adjustment...not sure why I thought it didn't. Still pretty much a toss-up between the 2.....I'd guess to go for whichever ya can find cheaper

Tweaked!
    From the sounds of things, they're both good performers. I love the K7d and I'd definitely buy another one if I could. I wouldn't mind trying out the Iwill too though.

Xtreme Mentor
    Well, I guess you were right. I just snagged a K7D Master @ Newegg refurb for $125...couldn't pass up that price. There's a couple of them left along w/ a couple K7D Master-L's for $159 right here:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

So, I guess I'll be diving into the dually world here right shortly

Tweaked!
    D*mn, that's a schweeeettt deal Man I really wish it wasn't christmas time, I'm going to be broke for a while. Got both my sons, christmas, and my wifes birthday hitting me all withing the next 45 days No new toys for me for a little while

Originally posted by N8
    Cool...lucky you

I just did some research and it looks like the MPX2 does have multiplier adjustment...not sure why I thought it didn't. Still pretty much a toss-up between the 2.....I'd guess to go for whichever ya can find cheaper

The current Iwill's do not have multiplier adjustment. It was removed from the BIOS because of issues with the way AMD has coded the higher multipliers.

What makes the Iwill the best overclocking board is it's awesome power regulation and ability to run very high fsb's. I am currently running 2x XP2400's @ 155fsb (2325MHz). A friend of mine has tested 2x XP2600's at 166fsb stable. The PCI bus is way out of spec, but that's the price you pay by being on the cutting edge .

Xtreme Mentor
    Ahh, ok...I'm learning...thx phil.

I'd rather clock by mult if I can as this won't be a machine that I'm going to need a ton of FSB for...and as you mentioned, that'll keep the drives & other peripherals as close to in-spec as possible. Either way, I got this K7D Master about as cheap as I'm going to find any SMP board out there, so I reckon I'll give it a shot

Sure, the MSI is a nice board with great features. I am certain you'll be happy with it's performance

Xtreme Recruit
    So I'm jumping on this SMP bandwagon now too....damn this folding addiction
    Which one performs better at folding?
    What CPU (looking at those $51 AGOIA 1600s @ newegg) and memory should I run...also, how much memory should I run since F@H doesn't really use it? Would 256 be enough?
    Will I have problems running just a 20 gig HD? I don't plan on putting anything else on this box but F@H so I don't think I'll need more than that.
    This prolly should have been a new thread....but I think it fits in this one too. If not, sorry for the hijack.
    Phil

Tweaked!
    frozenphil,
    Welcome to Xtreme
    Those xp1600's will do beautifully. 256mb of Crucial reg. ddr is enough to support w2k pro or xp pro. That's all you really have to worry about with these duallies. The F@H proggie won't hardly use any. And the 20hdd will do fine too. Go to Newegg's refurb section for the mobo, can't beat those prices Good luck with the endevor, once you've gone duallie, you'll be hooked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast