Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2412

Thread: What Car Do You Own?

Thats just an opinion and a bad one at that.

I dont see anything the US has made in recent years to adequately compete with the Mazda MX5, Mazda RX8, Honda S2000 and the Honda NSX

Just more big, lumbering engines that are crippled for emissions and put out weak amounts of power :p

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post

I dont see anything the US has made in recent years to adequately compete with the Mazda MX5, Mazda RX8, Honda S2000 and the Honda NSX

Just more big, lumbering engines that are crippled for emissions and put out weak amounts of power :p
    You do have a point there, except for the fact that the Honda (Acura here) NSX is a lumbering POS too. There is no power or torque but it is smooth and handles well... it could use a bigger engine.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

I am Xtreme
    Is Ignorance bliss?

US car that performs better than the MX5/RX8/S2k=Pontiac solstice/Saturn Sky (turbo)

Honda NSX is not in production but the Corvette of the same year will eat it for lunch.

I dont hear you complaining about the LS motor being in a Commodore...?

There is nothing wrong with a LS1 in a 200sx, its much lighter than a RB/VQ or even a VK. They make more power, they are more reliable and much cheaper to modify.

I have to import all RB/SR parts...

I am not saying that the US makes the best car ever, I own 3 Japanese cars; 2-200sx and a Mazda 3. But I am not biased, if someone makes a good car then i will give them respect.

If you cannot respect the Small Block Chevy, then you have a lot of learning to do when it comes to motors.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by libertysyclone View Post
    Is Ignorance bliss?

US car that performs better than the MX5/RX8/S2k=Pontiac solstice/Saturn Sky (turbo)

Honda NSX is not in production but the Corvette of the same year will eat it for lunch.

I dont hear you complaining about the LS motor being in a Commodore...?

There is nothing wrong with a LS1 in a 200sx, its much lighter than a RB/VQ or even a VK. They make more power, they are more reliable and much cheaper to modify.

I have to import all RB/SR parts...

I am not saying that the US makes the best car ever, I own 3 Japanese cars; 2-200sx and a Mazda 3. But I am not biased, if someone makes a good car then i will give them respect.

If you cannot respect the Small Block Chevy, then you have a lot of learning to do when it comes to motors.
    unless you compare it to a small block ford....

Put a ford racing 351 in it.

And the Mopar 360 is a good engine too btw...
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx] Raptor22 View Post
    unless you compare it to a small block ford....

Put a ford racing 351 in it.

And the Mopar 360 is a good engine too btw...
    LS1 is an aluminum block, weight is a big issue here.

and if we are talking iron blocks I think a certain 500cid Mopar block takes the cake. They seem to be making good power in the top fuel dept

Xtreme Enthusiast

for starters, mazda is american, and has been for a while, so you just contradicted yourself. the corvete destroys the NSX with only half throttle. i dont even want to think about what the c6 would do. s2000, lol, after 120mph the s2000 rearend starts to hop all over the place and destroy itself.

and yes, a 5.7 liter engine, that makes 500whp, AND meets emissions standards is definantly crippled. while getting 20-25 mpg freeway. of course once you put an offroad exhaust on, it's not crippled in any way.
    Last edited by trance565; 03-20-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    emptiness

Xtreme Addict
    You're underestimating the NSX. Altough it doesn't have lots of hp's the chassis is superior compared to many sports cars (yes Corvette included). On Nürburing the NSX-R laps the same time as the Corvette C6 which has well over 100hp's more than the NSX-R. And let's be sensible and compare apples to apples. S2000 is in a totally different price range than the Corvette, not mentioning the others cars that Kai listed.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazu View Post
    You're underestimating the NSX. Altough it doesn't have lots of hp's the chassis is superior compared to many sports cars (yes Corvette included). On Nürburing the NSX-R laps the same time as the Corvette C6 which has well over 100hp's more than the NSX-R. And let's be sensible and compare apples to apples. S2000 is in a totally different price range than the Corvette, not mentioning the others cars that Kai listed.
    im not comparing the s2000 to the vett. im just letting you know, that any american rwd car has a rearend that wont screw up at 120mph. the s2000 will start hopping, literally the rearend will start hopping around 120-130mph.

the nsx-R isnt available for public purchase from what i understand. and the one that is available for purchase can barely keep in front of a mustang in a straight line, around the bendies it will win, but that's what the corvette is for. you can get a z06 for the price on an nsx
    emptiness

Mazda is actually Japanese. Has been since 1920, and ford only started out investing 59 years later. They still only just about own a controlling interest in it. The MX5 was still built in Japan, and designed by....the japanese. And this was before ford took a controlling stake, too.

What you did was a bit like saying Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover are all American

As for the NSX vs Corvette:

NSX = 292hp, 1320kg (221bhp per ton)
    C6 = 400hp, 1441kg (277bhp per ton)

56bhp per ton more than the NSX then. Thats not a lot. And i find it hard to believe that the Corvette beats the NSX. Theres also the following to consider:

1) Fuel Economy
    2) Interior
    3) Build Quality

Libertysyclone - actually, i have respect for the American V8's, but putting them in a JDM car is just wrong. Just seems completely 'wrong'. Blasphemous. I mean, anyone who put, say, a Toyota 1UZ-FE into a Chevrolet would get stoned to death!

The reason i dont have a problem them going in Commodores is because...Holden is part of GM...like Vauxhall :p

Oh and btw, the pontiac solstice....introduced in 2004...Mazda MX5 was introduced in 1989...Mazda RX7 was introed in 1979 and the Honda S2000 in 1999....so the pontiac is a bit late to the game

Also:

Pontiac Solstice = 177hp (N/A model)
    Honda S2000 = 240hp (N/A model)

So there, the Pontiac is beaten by the S2000 it competes with in that regard.

In addition, the Solstice weighs 1305kg and the Honda is only 1276kg.

I've been waiting for this: PWNED

So close, but no cigar. And definitely a cuban for honda

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)

Entertainment Setup

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Quote Originally Posted by trance565 View Post
    im not comparing the s2000 to the vett. im just letting you know, that any american rwd car has a rearend that wont screw up at 120mph. the s2000 will start hopping, literally the rearend will start hopping around 120-130mph.

the nsx-R isnt available for public purchase from what i understand. and the one that is available for purchase can barely keep in front of a mustang in a straight line, around the bendies it will win, but that's what the corvette is for. you can get a z06 for the price on an nsx
    And you're implying that non-american cars 'hop'? Whatever this 'hopping' is, i've never experienced it in my Japanese made Toyota Supra...and that has only a 'weenie' 8" 3.73:1 LSD :p

Main Rig

Entertainment Setup

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by trance565 View Post

NSX-R was available in the US for a small $464k and yes it did well against other cars of higher HP, but it doesn't hold a candle to the C6 Z06, you know the old pushrod motor and the rear leaf spring suspension that seems to be the best bang for your buck as far as sports cars go....

Cost of the NSX in 1991=$60k USD
    Cost of the NSX in 1998=$84k USD

Cost of the 2007 C6 Z06=$65k
    Cost of the 2004 C5 Z06=$52k

I never compared the S2000 to the corvette I compared it to the Pontiac Solstice Turbo.

Dont forget...the price of the Corvette elsewhere in the world, is far, FAR higher than in the US. Here, for example, it'll set me back the same price, as a BMW M6...and i know what i'd rather have :p

Main Rig

Entertainment Setup

I am Xtreme
    All of my comparisons are based on cost.

S2000 and the Solstice turbo are within $2-3k of each other

Mazda is a Japanese company

We will have to agree to disagree on the engine swap in my car.

NSX wins the interior comparison but I think a model T beats any GM vehicle before 2008.

Build quality of the C6 is one of the best GM cars that I have seen, and I would personally rank it above average.

and for fuel economy....

looks like the vette edges out a smaller less powerful v6

I am Xtreme
    Dont forget...the price of the Corvette elsewhere in the world, is far, FAR higher than in the US. Here, for example, it'll set me back the same price, as a BMW M6...and i know what i'd rather have :p
    Agreed. (I would take the M6 too )

BUT I live in the corvettes home land, I am sure that its the same with Land Rover. here vs there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And you're implying that non-american cars 'hop'? Whatever this 'hopping' is, i've never experienced it in my Japanese made Toyota Supra...and that has only a 'weenie' 8" 3.73:1 LSD :p
    i was implying honda(the s2000 i was talking about in my previous post) makes crap rear difs.which they do.

didnt say anything about toyota, i know they can make things well.
    emptiness

Xtreme Enthusiast
    People dont buy NSX's for straight line performance, and theyre not even really that fast. This is known. Its a fun car to drive, and its zippy, handles well and is reliable. Comparing a NSX to a corvette is insane. They are FAR too different. Drive a corvette and drive a NSX, absolutely nowhere near the same. Although i never drove a corvette, i have driven a NSX, and its not like a rocket or anything, but it sure handles awesome.

Xtreme Member
    [QUOTE=libertysyclone;2855253]
    [/QUOTES] Since when? Doesn't ford own mazda?!? and ford ain't no japanese company....
    When Lightning strikes...The Heartbeat stops...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=kodiak kid;2856134]
    Quote Originally Posted by libertysyclone View Post
    [/QUOTES] Since when? Doesn't ford own mazda?!? and ford ain't no japanese company....
    lol...

basically, yes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    People dont buy NSX's for straight line performance, and theyre not even really that fast. This is known. Its a fun car to drive, and its zippy, handles well and is reliable. Comparing a NSX to a corvette is insane. They are FAR too different. Drive a corvette and drive a NSX, absolutely nowhere near the same. Although i never drove a corvette, i have driven a NSX, and its not like a rocket or anything, but it sure handles awesome.
    corvette will probably out handle an nsx without sweating.
    emptiness

Xtreme Enthusiast
    when did this thread turn out to be who is better than who. There are allot of home grown powerplants that outclass allot of other manufacturers. There are also allot of outbuilt powerplants that outperform some of the home grown power plants.

The ls series is superior to weight and reliability to most other engines in its class. I personally prefer the LT1 and the LT6, but thats because of my personal reasoning. The modular engines who shall remain nameless put out more hp and torque that some of their Bavarian counterparts. I think it all comes down to preferance. As for comparing the base pontiac with an s2000, thats just wrong. How about comparing it to the gxp model thats closer to the price range but is cheaper than the s2000 by at least 4k, how about comparing their torque output per rpm? 260hp out of a 2L not enough? How about remaping their ecu for about 300 and matching torque, and you don't have to buzz around @ 9k to make the power either. Certain modular engines won wards awards for year and year after their release, they were good enough to be used in super cars such as the koinesegg ccx? But lets not go there. There is a chevy inline 6 that makes 300ho out of its 4.2L revs up to 7k and is as smooth as butter, too bad its in a truck, put that engine in a lighweight car and watch it fly.

you guys cry handling, we have curvy roads here too, the us was not built out of lego.
    My pc: |||Abit AL8-V||| P4 631@4.6ghz||| 4x512 PDP pc2-4200@4-4-4-12 2.0v|||1x250gb WD 16mb sata||| 6600gt 500/1000@ 610/1240||| TDK dvd burner||| watercooled cpu and gpu and custom moded case.

Project Hard Lined

No - ford doesnt own ALL of mazda, just a 33.9% controlling interest. The company was founded in Japan and is still based there. Vehicles are still mostly manufactured there. It's run by the Japanese.

Volvo for example, is owned by ford technically, but they were always a swedish company, and they still build their cars in sweden, with swedish workers, and have a swedish R&D department.

Same with Jaguar, Range Rover, Land Rover etc...

Main Rig

Entertainment Setup

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No - ford doesnt own ALL of mazda, just a 33.9% controlling interest. The company was founded in Japan and is still based there. Vehicles are still mostly manufactured there. It's run by the Japanese.

Volvo for example, is owned by ford technically, but they were always a swedish company, and they still build their cars in sweden, with swedish workers, and have a swedish R&D department.

Same with Jaguar, Range Rover, Land Rover etc...
    mazdas are generally modeled after ford cars.

mazda 3 = focus
    mazda tribute = escape
    mazda 6 = ford taurus
    etc etc etc

hell, i can go buy parts for those cars at a ford dealership. the way i see it, if they are the same cars, they are the same company. ther for mazda is basically ford.
    emptiness

They're NOT the same though, are they?

They're just sharing from a common parts source. They're NOT part of the Ford group, therefore they're NOT Ford.

By your reckoning, a Lotus Elise is really just a Proton. Or a Toyota.

Main Rig

Entertainment Setup

I am Xtreme
    Kai is right here,

The mazda 3 and the focus share about 10% of the same parts, actually the Volvo SC40 and the 3 share a lot more parts (mostly suspension)

Tribute and escape are very similar.

the Mazda 6 was out in Japan 1 year before here and Ford didnt "adopt" the platform for another 2 years.

Xtreme Member
    I have an idea; STFU.
    back on topic please

Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast