Thread: zippy-6701 and dfi-nf4

Sandoval

zippy-6701 and dfi-nf4

as many zippy owners are aware, there's an incompatibility between this psu and the dfi 4v vdimm volt setting. in essence, if you set the 4v vdimm the board won't start. i've been in contact with the usa zippy rep about it (great customer service btw for a company known to cater to industry as opposed to the average joe) and might have a possible solution.

the only problem is, i can't test it, because my legacy pci card is rotting away in a storage bin in another galaxy. can any zippy/dfi owner try plugging in a pci gfx card as well as another card (audigy, wirelss card etc.) into the zippy to see if it will boot into the 4v vdimm setting?

opb has said that oskar wu thinks the problem lies in the zippy 5vsb but, my ocz 520w powers the board up fine in 4v vdimm mode and has a 5vsb rail rated at the same exact watt/amps, 10w, 2a. that got me thinking maybe the problem lies in the fact that the board isn't drawing enough from the 3.3 rail to send a power-on signal from the psu. the zippy rep mentioned that i could try plugging in a legacy pci gfx card to see if that'll draw enough from the 3.3 to power up the board.

don't get too excited if this doesn't work, the zippy rep is calling taiwan tonite to get his engineers working on the problem asap.
    Last edited by jikdoc; 02-17-2005 at 04:02 PM.

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

Xtreme Mentor
    I'll give it a shot as soon as my replacement DFI board comes back from RMA. I might still have an old school PCI Creative Sound Blaster card for testing.

EDIT: By the way...the problem is also with the 6700 unit as well, not just the 6701. I've got the 6700 and it didn't work out for me.

--- Conrad ---

Did you ever try the experiment? (using the Zippy with the PCI card and 4V VMem)

--- jikdoc ---

You ever hear anything back from Zippy on this?

Xtreme Mentor
    Unfortunately, I didn't. I sold my Zippy while waiting for my third Ultra-D to come in. If someone has a solution, I'll be very depressed considering I sold it at a $50 loss.