Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6600 (Non-GT) Volt Mods

Xtreme Mentor

6600 (Non-GT) Volt Mods

I'll be picking up my XFX GeForce 6600 PCI-E 256MB card from the Will Call Department of mWave tomorrow morning. I basically ordered this temporary card so I can test my DFI Ultra-D, which arrived earlier today.

I'd like to pull off a 3DMark trifecta before I retire this card next month. If anyone has information on VMODS for the 6600 Non-GT, I'd truly appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just try and figure it out on my own. Or perhaps the 6600GT mods can be applied to Non-GTs as well?

Thanks for any help.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad.maranan
    I'll be picking up my XFX GeForce 6600 PCI-E 256MB card from the Will Call Department of mWave tomorrow morning. I basically ordered this temporary card so I can test my DFI Ultra-D, which arrived earlier today.

I'd like to pull off a 3DMark trifecta before I retire this card next month. If anyone has information on VMODS for the 6600 Non-GT, I'd truly appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just try and figure it out on my own. Or perhaps the 6600GT mods can be applied to Non-GTs as well?

Thanks for any help.
    Any updates on this? I think that the 6600 GT vmod might work on certain cards. Have any pics of your card?

Xtreme Mentor

Sorry for the terrible image quality. My digital camera is fuxored, so I had to use my wife's phone-cam.

I just finished doing the memory VMOD. I used a 15-turn 10K-Ohm trim pot from Radio Shack and soldered the pin directly above the adjustment knob to the VSENSE leg of the Anpec APL1581 voltage regulator. The middle pin on the pot was soldered to the ADJ/GROUND leg of the same voltage regulator. Real basic, real simple. I should be able to re-claim my #1 spots on the 03 and 05 ORB with some bumped up memory clocks.

I'll play around with a VCORE mod after my replacement DFI board comes in on Tuesday. My GPU RAM heatsinks come in on Tuesday as well, just to keep temperatures under control.

Xtreme Member
    im' also interested in the mods - how exactly did you do the memory vmod? I have a 6200, and they should be using similar, if not the same, PCB's as they have the exact same core and memory. Also, any info on a vgpu mod would be great too. Thanks!
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterBridge86
    how exactly did you do the memory vmod?
    The answer is in my post...so are the pictures.

Xtreme Member
    What kind of scores are you getting after the mod?

Intel E6400 @ 3.2GHZ (1.35v) - Freezer Pro 7
    Gigabyte DS3 C1 F8i
    2GB G. Skill PK @ 400mhz 1:1 (4-4-4-12)
    Asus EN6200 8 pipes enabled
    250GB Hitachi T7K250
    Fortron Blue Storm 500W
    Antec P180

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what scores I'm getting due to some bad luck.

Talking

so finaly I moded my Sparkle 6600 256MB AGP card.I moded my card with pencil I just shaded R87 on my card and the GPU voltaga was 1.5-1.55V in 3D.the top for my GPU is now 580MHz with 1.65V at GPU
    Last edited by nodak; 02-24-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Xtreme Member
    so nodak, R81 for the gpu volts? i'll check it on my 6200 - should be the same...both nodak and conrad, quick question...where do you measure voltage for both GPU and Memory? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    AlterBridge86 - If no one responds to your question, I'll upload an image that depicts the pin for RAM voltage measurement when I get home from work (9 hours from now). I didn't get around to doing a VCORE mod since my board failed, therefore, I also haven't looked into the specific VCORE pin location.

Xtreme Member
    thanks conrad - i'd really appreciate it!
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    No sweat, bro.

Since I do not have any plans to fire up my new board until I have the rest of my new components in place, it might be at least a month before I can get to doing the VCORE mod. I'm pretty sure that you will not be able to wait this long, so here's my advice: send a PM to LardArse. He's a moderator on this forum who is a VMOD guru. Ask him if it's okay for you to send him a few detailed pictures of your card and request that he assist you with the proper way of performing the mod.

Once you're done, please share the information and a few pictures with us. This would save a few of us some time having to locate the right component to modify.

Good luck!

Xtreme Member
    ok, thanks - i'll check with lardarse about doing that vcore...do you know where to measure vdimm though? my 6200 is overclocking pretty well on the core right now, i'm being more constrained by memory bandwidth...and that'll be the next vmod i do, so if you know where to measure it'd be appreciated..thanks!
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    Yeah, I know where to measure it. Those are the images that I will upload to you tonight. But if you'd like to try it now, take a look at the pictures I have uploaded several posts up. The chip that I have performed the VMOD on is the area where you can measure voltage. The pin at the very bottom is the VSENSE pin. Count two pins up (the middle pin) and that is where you need to place the positive lead for your multimeter. You can connect the ground lead to the ADJ/GROUND pin on the chip or to a grounded area of your case.

The easier way to measure the voltage when it is installed in the case is to look for a tiny metal grommet behind the APL1581 voltage regulator. There should be three of these grommets in that region, if my memory serves me correctly. Have your negative lead on a ground source and your positive lead on one of the pins. One should have a reading in the 1.??V range, another in the 3.??V range, and another in the 2.??V range. The one in the 2.??V range is the one for memory voltage. Default voltage on my 6600 is 2.6V. 2.8V seemed to be my max.

Xtreme Member
    you rock! - thanks for that - pics will clarify a bit though - i'll wait till you get home to screw around with that stuff...do you happen to have any close up shots of the vmod? just to make sure i'm soldering things in the right place..its a little tough to see with those pics in the posts above..so, if you have pics of close-up's and the measurement place it'd be awesome..thanks!
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    My digital camera is broken, so the quality is going to be terrible for all of the images I take with a phone cam.

If your voltage regulator is an Anpec APL1581 and has five legs spreading over to the right, the bottom pin is your VSENSE pin and the pin just above that is your ADJ/GROUND pin. Connect the VSENSE to the pin on the trim pot closest to the knob. Connect the ADJ/GROUND to the pin in the middle of the pot. Bend off the remaining unused pin and throw it away. I favor using the pin above the knob because it makes more sense to turn it clockwise to increase voltage and counter-clockwise to decrease the voltage. Just be sure that the resistance of the pot is at 10K-Ohms before you connect/solder everything.

At 10K-Ohms, you'll be turning the knob at least a full 4 or 5 clockwise turns before you start noticing an increase in voltage. Just keep turning it up gradually and testing the various voltages and memory frequency adjustments. Like I mentioned in prior posts, mine capped out at 2.8V good for a 40MHz increase. Your mileage may vary.

Xtreme Mentor
    If you want, shoot me a good quality picture of the voltage regulator next to the trim pot that you will be using. Just position the trim pot so that the adjustment knob is facing up and the three pins are facing the direction of the card's voltage regulator. Also snap me a shot of the back of the card behind the voltage regulator.

I've got crappy Microsoft Paint here at work, so I can do my best to illustrate what you need to connect/solder and measure.

Xtreme Member
    lol, unfortunately, my digicam is not with me since i'm at school..and all i've got is a crappy phone camera as well..lol..either way, your description cleared it up, so i'll be able to do the mod now. even a 40mhz increase is worth it, that'll put me at 700+ on memory...will be nice and i have a zalman hsf coming for the gpu, so i should be able to pull a little more out of that badboy...the stock cooler has it hot as hell, 52c idle, 70c load...thanks again for the help - i really appreciate it
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    No problem, bro. With your set-up, I think you can easily dominate the 6200 class on the ORB.

Xtreme Mentor
    Man, phone cams sure are good for nothing but proving to your buddies that you saw the finest piece of ass at the mall today.

Anyway, I snagged some images from the net and Photoshopped the details required to perform the VDDR mod on an XFX 6600 256MB PCIe. If your card looks similar, it should be the same deal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDDR_FRONT.jpg 
Views:	15025 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	25217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VDDR_REAR.jpg 
Views:	14708 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	25218  

so my card is AGP and the layout is diferent.but ill shot today some photos and post it hire.

Xtreme Member
    thanks conrad - my card looks exactly like that - so this should work out great - cheers to your 1337 photoshop skills
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nodak
    so my card is AGP and the layout is diferent.but ill shot today some photos and post it hire.
    Thanks, nodak. Some photos would definititely be nice for reference. And welcome to xtremesystems.org!

Quote Originally Posted by AlterBridge86
    cheers to your 1337 photoshop skills
    As mentioned elsewhere...ph34r my l33t skillz.

Xtreme Member
    ok - got the mod off - its working great - although right now i think the modules are just getting too hot to clock any higher...hopefully when my zalman comes in for the core it'll provide some additoinal cooling on the memory (i already put sinks on) and i'll be able to hit the magic 700mhz on memory...right now i'm stuck at 695! so damn close...and its at 3.1v. tats all for now...the only camera i have is a camera phone, but i'll post some pics for you in a while..see ya
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

so hire iz my GPU:

just overshade the R87 ane it will rise your GPU voltage

sry for bad quality
    Last edited by nodak; 02-25-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast