Thread: windwos based OCing program for my notebook?

NREMT-I

windwos based OCing program for my notebook?

I used a program back in the day called ClockGen, but its no longer on the manufs. website? Says it will be back later LOL!. I have a gateway with a Pentium Dual Core T2060 I believe, and 2GB DDR2 ram that is rated for PC5400. I just want to see what this notebook can do, I will not be using this for it operation time. Thanks
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    i wouldnt OC a notebook
    Intel Q6600 (Stock for now)
    Scythe Infinity
    XFX 680i LT
    OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    Ultra Aluminus
    Mushkin 650watt SLI
    Seagate 500gb
    Seagate 250gb
    DVD Rom/Burner

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by darkorb View Post
    i wouldnt OC a notebook
    im not looking for peoples opinions, but rather a program to do this with. I've OCed many notebooks. I had a 3700+ AMD im my last gateway that did 2.5GHz no problem.
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    It really just depends, Dell does not release its clock generators which makes programs like Clockgen unable to get the PLL info. I have a Dell E1705 with a 1.83 dual core that runs at .975v but I can't overclock it for that very reason. Its a BIOS thing and depends on the mfg.
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
    2GB PC2-6400 @ 445/890 4, 4, 4, 12
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    El Cheapo 500w PSU with dual 12v rails
    16X DVD+/- R/W

I am Xtreme
    you cant OC gateway, dell, HP, compaq laptops, its just flat out not possible.
    they lock the PLL that is required to be open for overclocking.

the only thing you can do is use RM Clock to lock the cpu at its highest speed. and lower the voltage

i will warn you lowering the voltage on a laptop doesnt really lower the temps. not sure why though.

my old dothan 2.13ghz i could lower the voltage from stock, which was like 1.3v to 1.075v and it didnt drop the temps one little bit.

another sweet tool for you is http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html
    this is for dell only but it might work for the gateway.
    it allows you to manually control the fans on the laptop.

but be aware those little fans on laptops arent meant to be run 24/7 and you will kill them or rather wear out the bearings.

as for video card overlocking, you can do that, it depends on which card you have though.
    rivatuner or ATITool will OC both nvidia and ati cards.

i used these on a C2D dell laptop for a guy at work.
    i locked the cpu at 2.2ghz using RMClock (the bios nor windows would allow me to do that for some reason, the power settings just wouldnt lock in the ghz) and also set the voltage to just a hair under 1.1v (temps didnt really drop at all)

windows XP wont allow him to OC his 8600 GT video card but i have read this is not a problem with VISTA, not sure why but notebook forums has some good threads about this card and XP always refuses to clock the card. vista is fine.

overall laptop overclocking is not possible, usually because as i said the PLL is locked.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

The Blue Dolphin
    Clockgen is still the way to go. You either have to google for the PLL chip in your notebook, just try some different PLLs in clockgen (annoying process) or locate the PLL chip on the motherboard of the notebook. You can find information on some websites on how to locate the chip.

Good luck
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

c[_]
    Just find the PLL and then put it in google to see what others are using or what program supports it.. there are about 5 or 6 different once (clockgen, setfsb, systool....)

Pinmodding may also be an alternative but I havent seen any reports of anyone trying this the proper way yet.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    what part of "the pll is locked" didnt i articulate ?

dell, gateway and 99% of other laptop makers lock their PLL clockgen cant overclock them.
    p e r i o d

dell made an overclocking laptop some time ago, it was an XPS but gateway locks their pll chips

pin modding is only possible on Dothan chips.
    and only the 400mhz bus chips and you still cant use clockgen only the pin mod which raises the chips bus from 400 to 533 thus increasing the mhz of the chip. but that has nothing to do with the PLL

please tell us what laptop you have ?
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback