Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SuperPI tweaks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Copy-waza is the best tweak i've used so far for SuperPi.
    What is copy waza exactly Z3us, i know team japan uses it?

explain plz!
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3--E6600 L628B123--2x1GB Gskill Pc6400HZ+1GB D9GMH OEM--Sapphire x1900XTX--Tagan 580w--GFX Watercooled--Cpu Cooled By Mach2 GT modded by Jort

JLS
    Quote Originally Posted by El Snorro
    What is copy waza exactly Z3us, i know team japan uses it?

explain plz!
    Copy a giant file, say couple gigs to another partition.
    Run SuperPI
    Bringin' it home!

I am Xtreme
    Yeah, what RAMMIE says, i'd take a 1gig file.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

I'll be trying that in another day or so on a clean install of OS...be happy to report results.
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer (2x1GB) PC4000
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

Admin
    So far I've been messing with "copy waza" for about 5 minutes. Copying TO the partition I'm benching on seemed to shave about .1 sec after I copied a 1 gig file. Then I tried copying the file FROM that partition, and it added two seconds to the score! Never seen anything like this. So far I've shaved a second off those two by copying a gig back...but it doens't look like I can get any more...time for a fresh install.

interesting Guatam. I just started, got a fresh install. atm I'm only doing 1M, checking out what makes a difference & how much...haven't got to the tweaking part yet. I'm testing at stock speeds & on air. The only significant thing I found so far is that running CPU-Z adds about .1sec, maybe a little more. Running in real time doesn't seem to matter, at least not in 1M.
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

Nice thread D_o_S !

Some really good info, will use it and rebench
    E6600 (L631A @ 3.2G / Ultra-120) | P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP (0711 BIOS) | 7800GT (450/1.1G)

Starting 32M tests now, beginning with the window tweaks. So far nothing new regarding 1M, but as I implement some of the registry tweaks for 32M I'll be checking 1M for performance increases...just incase something makes a difference.
    One question, I can't find userinit.exe in task manager (server 2k3). I did find inetinfo.exe & tried shutting that down from task manager but it reopens immediately...any suggestions?
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

Just tried the copy waza thing...wow! Shaved about 7sec off 32M for me. pagefile & realtime took off took off about 2sec. No PB's though, I'm still testing at stock speeds.
    I'm trying different combinations & when I get through I'll try to put it all on a chart to show what worked for me.
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

Well, here's my results. I would normally prefer to test each setting three times, but 32M would take more patience & time than I have.
    All was tested with air cooling at stock frequencies, 2.8GHz on FX57 CPU & 255MHz on DDR500 Mushkin XP4000's. OS was retail Win Server 2k3, fresh install w/no updates & not Microsoft activated, just a bare install.
    What seemed to make the most difference was Defrag, disabeling pagefile & defrag, and mostly the waza tweak, almost 17 seconds!
    There were some settings already set from when I was testing 1M...I had forgot to put them back, hopefully the notes explain that. Anyway, here it is...I need time away from looking at it, me eyes are getting crossed.
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

It's been a while since last tweaks were posted here.
    Now I want to tell about one tweak that did help. It doesn't compare to copy-waza in terms of time gain but it gave me around ~0.1" for 1 MB SuperPI runs. Because of the nature of this tweak I think it is more helpful to 1 MB / 2MB runs then for 32 MB runs.
    I call this tweak: pseudo-minimize because it resembles to minimize but it's not the same. It goes like this:

When all other tweaks are done (including realtime priority and copy-waza) and you are ready to launch SuperPI 1MB, then drag the bottom-right corner of the SuperPI window towards the upper-left corner untill the only thing left visible remains the small title bar of the window.

Then use the keyboard to launch SuperPI with the combination ALT+C then select the desired run (1MB, 2MB etc) with either the keyboard or mouse, then hit Enter (or click OK).

Finally, when the "PI calculation done!" message appears you should put the mouse pointer over the TaskBar, click the right button and select "Tile Windows Vertically" to see the whole SuperPI window and do the screeny fest

This tweak, in conjunction with copy-waza is the best I've tried so far.
    In the picture below you can see the best result and WR afaik, with AMD Opteron at 2704 Mhz 338x8, obtained with this tweak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2704_WR.JPG 
Views:	2528 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	49092  
    Last edited by sabinus; 07-09-2006 at 12:56 AM.

What is copy-waza?

@ Sabinus: i have the italian version of windows xp pro and i don't find any voice that is similar to "Tile Windows Vertically" you can send me a screen please? thank u guy

Quote Originally Posted by lupacchiotto
    What is copy-waza?

@ Sabinus: i have the italian version of windows xp pro and i don't find any voice that is similar to "Tile Windows Vertically" you can send me a screen please? thank u guy
    There's actually another name for it but what that is escapes me atm.
    What you do is copy a large file, 1G or 2G in size from one partition to another and then immediately run Super Pi, made a big difference for me
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

And for me too ..
    lupachiotto you have PM

xtreme energy
    Copy waza doesn't work, at least not on dothan

And I can't find explanation of why would it be better and why should it work at all

Admin
    Copy waza helped me tons on Dothan, like .3 secs steady. Explanation though, but I don't understand why it isn't helping you. I get gains even copying 500 MB files.

That's a REAL quick time, Sabinus and thanks for the tip.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where can you get the Japanese version of SuperPi?
    Quote Originally Posted by IYP
    impecible reasoning....the jedi mind skills of the stupid people are overwhelming....but they shall not assimilate me!

xtreme energy
    Fresh install, copy from or to or from/to 600 or 1.5GB file, absolutely no difference in times.

Board is p4gpl-x

Don't have other hw to test atm

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi
    Fresh install, copy from or to or from/to 600 or 1.5GB file, absolutely no difference in times.

Board is p4gpl-x

Don't have other hw to test atm
    Did you make separate partition on HDD? Defrag too?
    AMD Athlon FX57
    DFI NF4 Expert
    Mushkin Redline XP4000
    850 SSI PSU

I think it has to do with having the harddrive already accesed (sp?) and spinning when you order it to run superpi. (Could be wrong as though, I don't know anything about harddrive's).
    Patriotism is the conviction that this country is superior
    to all other countries because you were born in it.
    -- George B. Shaw

I expect honest feedback on my pseudo-minimize tweak..
    Some other people reported that works on Opteron as well as Dothan and Conroe.
    It makes the difference between good and best results

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinus
    I expect honest feedback on my pseudo-minimize tweak..
    Some other people reported that works on Opteron as well as Dothan and Conroe.
    It makes the difference between good and best results
    Can't see anything different with ur tweak, but will test it again on my SuperPI windows. Thx for the afford!
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

Xtreme Member
    I've noticed under memory timings these have the biggest effect on super pi (1 M and 32 M) when tweaking with memset:
    : CAS latency, RAS-CAS read, RAS-CAS write, memory refresh (trfc), performance level, write to precharge delayed, write to read delayed, TRAS, act to act delayed. Setting trd_WR has no effect, and it can't be set real low, on P965 anyway.

Of these the biggest effect is from CAS latency, performance level, TRFC, RAS-CAS read, TRAS, followed by write to precharge and write to read delay. TRFC seems to have the biggest leeway for adjustment even on regular DDR2.

Xtreme Member
    so what is the best os for 1M super pi? XP, 2K3, 2K?

Does the 64bit version of either OS help out?
    E8400 @4.3 | Asus Maximus SE | 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000s | Radeon X1950XT | Raptor X, Barracuda 7200.10 320GBs

Xtreme Member
    run superpi on one core, not core 0. So on core 1, 2 or 3. This helped me a bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast